Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO

For those asking panther about the ASUS ZenPad review. I just bought one yesterday as I was fed up with Samsung tab s issues. Yes I had it stripped down and play services rolled back but it still had unacceptable frame rate. The ASUS runs 100 times better but I can still see occasional framerating. Totally usable and overall much better operating compared to Samsung. I am very happy with it. Best buy will price match B&H at $199.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Reactions: SENC
For those asking panther about the ASUS ZenPad review. I just bought one yesterday as I was fed up with Samsung tab s issues. Yes I had it stripped down and play services rolled back but it still had unacceptable frame rate. The ASUS runs 100 times better but I can still see occasional framerating. Totally usable and overall much better operating compared to Samsung. I am very happy with it. Best buy will price match B&H at $199.

Awesome, thanks for your review on the ASUS. Do you feel the higher end model will help with the occasional framerating? I assume there is still a little lag.
How was the screen brightness outside?

I have the $299 model on order from B&H yet would rather spend 199 since I would only use the tablet for my P3P

One advantage of B&H, unless you live in NY, you will not pay sales tax. Their shipping is very fast and their customer service is excellent. They delivered my P3P to my front door in 16 hours from the time I pressed the order button, free delivery.

Unless I need to have it that day, I order from B&H.

I don't know how much gain the other model will have. I suspect The issue is more compatibility that brute processing power. The Tab S should be no slouch.

Inside the brightness looks similar but let me get both outside and give a good comparison. The Tab S is known to be extra bright so will be a good test. Good to have a usable fpv again.

I don't know how much gain the other model will have. I suspect The issue is more compatibility that brute processing power. The Tab S should be no slouch.

Inside the brightness looks similar but let me get both outside and give a good comparison. The Tab S is known to be extra bright so will be a good test. Good to have a usable fpv again.

Looking forward to your comparison. I guess for me I can live with a little lag as opposed to a screen that is very hard to see in the daylight. I have tried so many hoods and to me they mostly don't help at all. I find just flying having your back to the sun if possible is the best hood there is yet there are probably some situations where a hood would help I just haven't found one yet.
Unless you have one on a separate display that's sitting on tripod that is stationary and turned right at the correct angle would for sure help.

I got a (short 5 minute) flight in today using the Asus ZenPad S 8.0, and I can confirm that, while not 100% problem-free, I'd estimate it to be at least 95%, if not higher. The tablet didn't overheat...it was barely warmer than it is when sitting there not being used. While the video did stutter a little here & there, it was considerably less than the Nexus 7 LTE.

While I haven't had the opportunity to do back-to-back flights using both tablets (I'm currently working on a big video project for my church), I will get that done within the next two days, and will post the results here. Since I received my third battery yesterday, I'll do the 1st & 3rd flights with the ZenPad.

I still plan on ordering the Z580CA version of the ZenPad S 8.0, and depending on the results, that will (probably) determine whether I continue using the Z580C as my P3P tablet, & use the Z580CA as my N7 replacement (remember, I plan on going my girlfriend my N7)...or whether I use the Z580CA (once it's received) as my P3P tablet, & the Z580C as the N7 replacement. Either way, the N7 WILL be replaced as my P3P tablet.

Panther....waiting to hear how a longer flight goes. My finicky iPad mini is perfect for about 10 minutes until it heats up. If the ZenPad stays cool I am hopeful for a steady performance.

Well the new Go App for Android is out which I had hoped would improve things on the Samsung. At first it appeared to be doing OK but after about 5 minutes of flying (6500' out) it started framing while showing decent signal strength. I continued to framerate and possible got worse all the way home. Getting ready to try the Asus now.

Well the new Go App for Android is out which I had hoped would improve things on the Samsung. At first it appeared to be doing OK but after about 5 minutes of flying (6500' out) it started framing while showing decent signal strength. I continued to framerate and possible got worse all the way home. Getting ready to try the Asus now.

If you have a chance can you take both tablets out and see which one has a brighter display
Thanks

If you have a chance can you take both tablets out and see which one has a brighter display
Thanks
The Samsung is in fact brighter. No doubt about that.

I am in the beta program for the LITCHI app....and I can tell you that it is like 90% better with lag than the default DJI app. This leads me to believe that DJI programming sucks and they CAN fix this.

My nexus6 is almost useless with the Pilot app....it is 95% lag free using Litchi. Once the SDK is fully open...I'll only use Litchi, which should mean that my devices that were not worth using before, will probably be fine soon.

Reactions: ScottyT
Panther....waiting to hear how a longer flight goes. My finicky iPad mini is perfect for about 10 minutes until it heats up. If the ZenPad stays cool I am hopeful for a steady performance.

As an "added" benefit, since DJI finally released the Android version of Go, I'll be doing the back-to-back tests running DJI Go (2.0.0), instead of DJI Pilot (1.2.0). I just installed the update on the ZenPad S 8.0, and as soon as my Nexus 7 LTE is charged, I'll update the app on it.

Since the SF Bay Area has moderate-to-strong afternoon summer winds, I'm thinking of getting the test flights done this morning, and while I'm finishing my video project this afternoon, I can post the updated info.

Reactions: mphsjeep

Almost forgot to mention, thanks to Kuau, who also recently acquired the same Asus ZenPad S 8.0 tablet, people here will get to hear from two people using this recently-released tablet.

Reactions: mphsjeep
Don`t pretend offend nobody, but sometimes i have the impression some people are better with Istuff, thant Android, since they don`t know very well to work with them..

Makes me confusion, my Oppo Find 7 and Chuwi tablet work perfectly well, and better machines don`t...
Some people don`t even know how to flash roms, or try other solutions except: WORK its OK, don`t WORK this modell Sucks.

Thanks
ipad mini3 great with the pilot less with the go"some lags", also ipad is not as bright as my s6 edge wish also doing great with both the pilot and recently the go ... cheers

Reactions: Kuau
I am in the beta program for the LITCHI app....and I can tell you that it is like 90% better with lag than the default DJI app. This leads me to believe that DJI programming sucks and they CAN fix this.

My nexus6 is almost useless with the Pilot app....it is 95% lag free using Litchi. Once the SDK is fully open...I'll only use Litchi, which should mean that my devices that were not worth using before, will probably be fine soon.
What's this LITCHI business?
EDIT. Googled it. First thought, people are making apps better than DJI.......for their own Quad?!

Last edited:
Reactions: nv40
Samsung galaxy tab S 8.4 - stock, no updates, no Google services. All works well, only Director crashes (p3p).

Based on good preliminary results posted here, I bought the ZenPad S 8.0 from Best Buy for $229. Loaded the DJI Go app. The first batt flew perfect. The second batt the tablet froze, turned that B&W look, and the center spot that says "Good to fly" said "Disconnected" . I could not do anything to get FPV back. RTH. The tablet was hot as 7734, I think it went into cool down mode. I power cycled the tablet. Flew another 5 minutes and the same thing.

I do not have any kind of sun shade, and it was nearly 100 degrees. So maybe not a fair test. I am going to make a sunshield and try again before my return period runs out. I really do not want to go rotten apple

BACK-TO-BACK FLIGHT RESULTS: Nexus 7 LTE vs Asus ZenPad S 8.0 (Z580C)

I finally had the chance to run back-to-back flights, comparing the Nexus 7 LTE against the recently-released Asus ZenPad S 8.0 (note: this is the Z580C, not the soon-to-be-released Z580CA), and the results were interesting. Having finally received a third battery, I decided to use the first battery to “warm” the drone up, as well as to satisfy my curiosity in a couple areas (speed, and distance). Being that I live in the south SF Bay Area, I decided to test in South San Jose…partially because the “no-fly” zone extends too far north, due to the San Jose airport, and partially because I know there’s a lot of air-signal interference. I figured, if it can fly a considerable distance with this much radio interference, once I get it to a signal-free area, it will, in all likelihood, travel much further.

I started the first flight (using the ZenPad S 8.0) by ascending to 121 meters (just under the 400 foot ceiling, at 396.982 feet) at a fairly brisk pace. I then aimed it in the direction I felt would give it the longest line-of-sight path, and blasted it forward at full speed. With a reasonable wind blowing (the problem with Bay Area wind is that it’s constantly changing direction), it topped out at just under 30mph…not bad, in my estimate, and for which I’m guessing it would go faster if there was no wind. As for distance, I was just about to break 5,600 feet (1.06 miles) when I lost signal. If it can make it to 5,600 feet in a radio-infested area like San Jose, I can only wonder how far it can go in a radio-free (or, at least, seriously radio-diminished) area.

Now for the part everyone has been waiting for…Rocky vs Bullwinkle…oops, Rocky vs Apollo Creed…oops, Nexus 7 LTE vs Asus ZenPad S 8.0 (Z580C).

For flight/battery #1, using the Nexus 7 LTE, I started by ascending to 200 feet, followed by purposely “wobbling” the right stick as much as possible. While the image (meaning the horizon, etc) being received remained as stable as possible, I can’t say the same for the image quality. There was, almost immediately, moderate pixilation in the areas where the props appeared. Increasing the height to 350 feet, as well as moving the P3P to a distance of 500 feet, I performed the same “wobble” test. This time, the pixilation increased. I performed the “wobble” test one final time, this time at a distance of 2,000 feet. Again, there was pixilation in the prop areas, but more severe than the previous tests. At this point, I repeated the “speed/distance test” portion of my first flight, although, this time around, I wasn’t moving the P3P as fast, nor was I interested in actual distance achieved…I was keeping an eye on the video quality, as viewed from the tablet. Multiple times the images appearing on the N7 got distorted…sometimes with the entire screen becoming pixelated, albeit minor pixilation. Several times there were what I can only describe as multi-colored “bars” running across the screen, from left to right. During this flight, while the app, itself, didn’t crash, Google Play Services did crash. Overall, I can say that the new Go (2.0.0) app does run better than the previous 1.2.0 version, and the video image, as viewed from the N7, did appear more “fluid”. Feeling the tablet, while it wasn't hot enough to cook an egg, it was somewhat hot.

Next came flight/battery #2, using the Asus ZenPad S 8.0. Right from the beginning, things were better. Running through all the same tests, the ZenPad surpassed the N7 LTE in all the “wobble” tests. Does this mean that there was no pixilation? No. But, the pixilation was less than that viewed on the N7 LTE. In comparison, the 2,000 foot test with the ZenPad looked similar to the 500 foot test with the N7, and the 500 foot test with the ZenPad looked similar to the “200 feet straight above” test. As for the “200 feet straight above” test with the ZenPad, it was so minor, as to almost be unnoticeable. Moving on to the “speed/distance” portion of the test, there were a couple occurrences of the “multi-colored” bar, but they weren’t as severe, nor did they last as long. As for the ZenPad's temperature, while it wasn't cool, it was cooler than the N7 LTE. This is interesting for two reasons. First, considering it's running a considerably more powerful CPU/GPU, one might expect the ZenPad to have the higher temperature. The second reason is that, while the case of the N7 LTE is entirely plastic, the case of the ZenPad uses a decent amount of metal, thus another reason that it should be the warmer of the two. The fact that the ZenPad was the cooler of the two is just another reason why the ZenPad is the better tablet to use with the P3P.

Conclusion: First off, in regards to the multi-colored bars, as viewed during both tests, I can only assume these had nothing to do with the tablets, themselves, and was due to the speed the P3P was traveling, as well as the distance it was from the transmitter. On the other hand, in regards to the “wobble” tests, considering that the ZenPad had considerably better viewable video, I can only conclude that it IS due to the tablet. For those interested, I recommend getting the Asus ZenPad S 8.0, and using that as your controller tablet. Better yet, if you’re willing to spend an extra $100, and wait a little longer, instead of the currently-available $199 Z580C model, you should consider ordering the Z580CA model. While the Z580C has 2GB RAM, & 32GB storage capacity, the Z580CA comes with 4GB RAM, & 64GB of storage capacity. Of course, these aren’t the only benefits of the Z580CA, as there are a few additional plusses, such as a faster CPU, better main camera, etc. The point is, comparing the N7 LTE against the ZenPad S 8.0, whether you get the 4/32GB version @ $199, or the 4/64GB version @ $299, you will still have a considerably better tablet than the N7 LTE. As for someone else’s earlier comment about the nVidia Shield being “the best”…these two Asus ZenPad S 8.0 models will give it a run for its money…and, speaking of money, both ASUS ZenPads cost considerably less than the nVidia Shield.

Updated update: I forgot to mention that I also have on order (should be delivered by the end of this week) the DJI carbon fiber props. Once they've been received, I'll do a back-to-back comparison of these against the stock props, including (if I can figure out how to post them in here) video of both flights, flying the exact same paths, so that anyone interested in the carbon fiber props can see what, if any, difference they make.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik