Tablet for fpv

Reaction score
Ok tablets have GPS function to run the apps for the P3.
But do they run the GPS independent of internet access, WiFi or cell towers. I guess i want the tablet to pick up satellites when I am in remote areas. Any help here.

The Phantom has its own GPS receiver, so it does not rely on your tablet for that. Your tablet only needs to be GPS enabled to use features that require the software to know where your tablet is located (e.g. follow-me). A tablet's GPS does not use Wi-Fi and/or cellular service.

The Phantom has its own GPS receiver, so it does not rely on your tablet for that. Your tablet only needs to be GPS enabled to use features that require the software to know where your tablet is located (e.g. follow-me). A tablet's GPS does not use Wi-Fi and/or cellular service.
Unless it's an Apple product, which requires a cell chip in order to triangulate it's location.
Ok tablets have GPS function to run the apps for the P3.
But do they run the GPS independent of internet access, WiFi or cell towers. I guess i want the tablet to pick up satellites when I am in remote areas. Any help here.
You'll want an Android device, most likely an Nvidia Shield. Android devices have dedicated GPS chips, so do not require a data connection. You'll just need to cache the map prior to heading out to the field (on the wifi only version).

I am going to use my iPad Mini 2 on the controller, if I need wifi I will just use the hot spot on my iPhone 6+ already ordered a sun hood for the iPad, new backpack from Procraft comes out in 2 weeks.... looking good, just need the darn P3 :rolleyes:

I am going to use my iPad Mini 2 on the controller, if I need wifi I will just use the hot spot on my iPhone 6+ already ordered a sun hood for the iPad, new backpack from Procraft comes out in 2 weeks.... looking good, just need the darn P3 :rolleyes:

Does the procraft backpack fit the p3? I'm trying to get a new backpack as well and can't decide which one. The fearless one looks promising. Or the Vanguard uprising 48. Doe anyone have other suggestions?

Does the procraft backpack fit the p3? I'm trying to get a new backpack as well and can't decide which one. The fearless one looks promising. Or the Vanguard uprising 48. Doe anyone have other suggestions?
See this link http://www.powerhobby.com/procraft-...ision-puls-fieldline-alpha-ops-sandstone.html
He will have the P3 version in 2-3 weeks for the same price. They also come in black, I especially like the built in 2 lt hydration pack and the sternum belt for serious hiking.

A lot of peeps seems to be picking up expensive ipads/tablets for this. Seems counter to price savings of getting a P3.
The app downloads and seems to run fine on my Lenovo A7, which costs about $100 brand new.
Remains to be seen how FPV performs. I will report on that as soon as I can. The device handles streaming video like a champ, so I'm expecting it to work.
Lenovo is huge in China, so I figure despite being off the official support list, DJI would pay some attention to the common models.

Unless it's an Apple product, which requires a cell chip in order to triangulate it's location.

You'll want an Android device, most likely an Nvidia Shield. Android devices have dedicated GPS chips, so do not require a data connection. You'll just need to cache the map prior to heading out to the field (on the wifi only version).

I'd just like some clarification on this statement......

Nvidia Shield....you do NOT need to cache maps, as it has it's own integral GPS chip.
iPad Mini2/3....you MUST cache maps if you have the WiFi only version

Correct?

I'd just like some clarification on this statement......

Nvidia Shield....you do NOT need to cache maps, as it has it's own integral GPS chip.
iPad Mini2/3....you MUST cache maps if you have the WiFi only version

Correct?

A map still needs to be downloaded at some point. GPS just provides coordinates, not the actual map image. If your tablet is not online, you will need to still cache the map before going out into the field but after that it will use GPS to display your location on the map. What they're confusing here is that some iPads only have GPS if they have a cell phone connection. So if you buy an iPad that doesn't have a dedicated GPS chip and it's wifi only, you will get NO GPS. Android tablets, even if they're WIFI only, still have GPS chips usually. That means that as long as you pre-cache the map, you can use the map in the field along with the GPS signal.

Clear as mud?

Reactions: allentc2 and bbfpv
A lot of peeps seems to be picking up expensive ipads/tablets for this. Seems counter to price savings of getting a P3.
The app downloads and seems to run fine on my Lenovo A7, which costs about $100 brand new.
Remains to be seen how FPV performs. I will report on that as soon as I can. The device handles streaming video like a champ, so I'm expecting it to work.
Lenovo is huge in China, so I figure despite being off the official support list, DJI would pay some attention to the common models.

hello! thanks for the info, if it's cheap and it works better! Remains to be seen how FPV performs.
Greetings!

A map still needs to be downloaded at some point. GPS just provides coordinates, not the actual map image. If your tablet is not online, you will need to still cache the map before going out into the field but after that it will use GPS to display your location on the map. What they're confusing here is that some iPads only have GPS if they have a cell phone connection. So if you buy an iPad that doesn't have a dedicated GPS chip and it's wifi only, you will get NO GPS. Android tablets, even if they're WIFI only, still have GPS chips usually. That means that as long as you pre-cache the map, you can use the map in the field along with the GPS signal.

Clear as mud?

AHA!!! YES!!! Okay, that makes sense!!

So....I have the iPad Mini 2 on the way. It's Wifi only, so that means I cache my map before going on. Easy enough. Once I'm out there, I cannot see MY position, as I don't have GPS on the tablet, but I should see the drone's position, right? Since it has it's own GPS.

Now, if I return my Mini 2 to Amazon and get the Shield, I still cache my map, but once I'm out there, I can see both where I am and the drone. That would allow for some of these possible future modes like "tether".

Please tell me I'm starting to grasp this. LOL

So....I have the iPad Mini 2 on the way. It's Wifi only, so that means I cache my map before going on. Easy enough. Once I'm out there, I cannot see MY position, as I don't have GPS on the tablet, but I should see the drone's position, right? Since it has it's own GPS.

Now, if I return my Mini 2 to Amazon and get the Shield, I still cache my map, but once I'm out there, I can see both where I am and the drone. That would allow for some of these possible future modes like "tether".

you are correct on all accounts.

Reactions: davemex

Yes. You will need to cache the map beforehand and then I believe you'll be able to see the drone but not your position. If you got the Shield (WIFI Only) you'd still have to cache the map but you would have both your position and that of the drone on the map.

Sweet.....the Shield sounds like the better option, especially if I don't want to bother with adding a cellular device to my plan, etc. etc. etc.

Thanks! That was a good explanation!

Can tell you from experience that the nexus 7 2013 is the best bang for the buck to fly with. Used it extensively with inspire 1 and p2

Running the app alone, and running the app when flying are two different things.
It's a pretty low processor powered tablet, as to be expected at that price point.

With that said, if I had one, I would still be giving it a shot also.

You can not test performance without viewing the video feed. The tablet needs some horsepower since its decoding a 720 stream. Trust me I have tried over 10 android devices and apple mini2, air and air2

Which Android tablet (with HDMI out) is best for using in bright sunlight? I'm finding my Note 3 is hard to see even with a hood/shade

All devices will suffer in direct sunlight. This is why a hoodi is a must. The only android device that comes close to the a7 ios devices is the shield. It is one of the select few that have an hdmi port as well

Reactions: Lofty Visions
Sweet.....the Shield sounds like the better option, especially if I don't want to bother with adding a cellular device to my plan, etc. etc. etc.

Thanks! That was a good explanation!

You don't have to add a cellular plan for your tablet. Just use the GPS that's included in the iOS tablet. GPS doesn't require cellular to work. Apple just bundles GPS in their tablets only if it's a cellular tablet.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31