tablet advise please

Reaction score
I'm having issues getting my galaxy tab A7 to keep a steady connection to my bird. My phone works perfect and it's a galaxy s4

Unfortunately, Android can be quite unstable running Dji GO in my experience. As much as i love Android and my LG G5, i always fly using the iPad Air 2. Never had a single crash or any issues what so ever with IOS running GO.

There seem to be quite a few Nvidia Shield users. I hear the connection sequence is important for Androids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although new here and to Phantom flying, i finally gave up with samsung tablets on my P4pro!!

I really wanted to use my Tab S2 9.7 - T819 4G but after updating the software etc i managed 2 flights in hours of trying - those flights strangely were perfect lol. My wifes Tab S 8.4 worked but picture interferance was crazy & consistent!

Finally brought a Nvidia Shield, wow ok screen is not so bright as samsung oled, but it works no interference, not connection issues. I can connect in any order etc & it works!! I almost had to buy into the I world, but not now!!!

Was using a iPad Mini.... Just upgraded to a nVidia Shield K1 as the latest GO updates made the Mini laggy, not had a chance to use it with the P3 yet.

Also use my Moto G4 phone a lot as well if I don't want to take my shield out.

Is the Nvidia shield k1 really that good? I just got my p4 and I'm using a droid ultra phone, which is absolutely flawless, btw. I have a galaxy 3 and a galaxy 4 tablet that just won't work. I've tried USB debugging but it has a horrible lag. So much that I'd never consider flying with either galaxy tablet. I'd like to upgrade from my phone tho.

Sent from my XT1254 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Is the Nvidia shield k1 really that good?
It's definitely one of the best Android devices available. It's also a great value considering the price.

Reactions: aermale
Is the Nvidia shield k1 really that good?

Yeah, it's the most powerful tablet for the price, being designed for gamers it handles anything thrown at it.

Out of stock at most places in the UK, I was lucky enough Amazon just got some in stock and at £169 it was a no-brainer!

Reactions: aermale
I love all of my android devices. However I use them as personal devices and they are great for that.

When it came to my phantom and the work it needs to accomplish, I knew there was only one option... Apple.

With Apple having so few changes in their hardware configuration across devices, it's much easier for companies like DJI to optimize for the os and hardware. So, for the most part, Apple just seems to work better for these applications like Go.

If you want reliability then it would be my recommendation to go with them. I've never used shield with the phantom unfortunately so I cannot comment on that device.

For the most recent device, it came down between the iPad 4 mini and Air 2. I chose mini for it's size but the Air 2 looks like it would be just slightly better and bigger.

I have no regrets choosing the 4 mini, it hasn't failed me in any way yet.

Quick update:
I bought the k1 and it crashed immediately mid flight. After even more research, its an unsupported device. Do not make the mistake of losing your bird to an unsupported device. I should have done way more research, before I purchased. I'm looking at a p4 paperweight until I get an iPad, now. I should've just looked at the box the phantom came in...it says in bold letters" made for apple"
Live and learn

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I kinda lucked out when my wife wanted a new, bigger tablet, I got her old Samsung Tab 3. Been working great as long as I keep it stripped down to factory default settings, and turn off all updates.

Quick update:
I bought the k1 and it crashed immediately mid flight. After even more research, its an unsupported device. Do not make the mistake of losing your bird to an unsupported device. I should have done way more research, before I purchased. I'm looking at a p4 paperweight until I get an iPad, now. I should've just looked at the box the phantom came in...it says in bold letters" made for apple"
Live and learn

Been using my K1 for a week or so now, quite a few flights using it and hasn't missed a beat with both Go, Litchi and then editing videos on it.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, but you wouldn't lose your bird, you can RTH without a tablet connected.

Litchi doesn't work for the tab a 7" and the go app is hit and miss, verdict is still out on it for me though, tweaking a few things to see if any changes will effect it positively. If it fails I'll be looking at a different tablet to fly with.

Sent from my SM-T280 using PhantomPilots mobile app

So after trying to get the DJI Go app to work on my Tab A it was a big fail, It keeps disconnecting and telling me I had poor signal even though I was standing right in front of it and haven't taken off yet and the video feed was super choppy.

I decided to uninstall the GO app and install Litchi to try to salvage the tablet for use with my Phantom and at first litchi refused to work saying it couldn't register with the DJI servers but after two attempts at closing the app and opening it, it worked and it seemed to work. Previously When I would start Litchi it would say disconnected and the one time I did get it to work it wouldn't show that I was switching modes from P-GPS to ATTI and so on.

I haven't been able to fly with Litchi yet as I just tested it in my house without flying. So we will see.

What might be the case is that some how litchi wont work with DJI go installed. And Yes I completely closed the DJI GO app and turned off all the processes running in the background before I ran litchi.

So there might be a little bit of hope left.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic