Swapping out lipo cells.

Reaction score
Has anyone tried swapping out the insides of Phantom 2 batteries? Reason I ask is I've had a Phantom 2 given me by my son who works for a video/film company. It's one they don't use now. It came with two OEM batteries. Assistant shows one has a bad cell and advises not using it. It has only had 31 charging cycles. The other one, although the cells are fine and only had 17 charging cycles, the case is a bit damaged. I was wondering if it's possible to swap the innards of the good battery into the case of the knackered one.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
looks like it might answer your question.
I have split a phantom 3 battery case and the top is held on by 8 clips & what looks like 4 glued 'spigot' joints, the latter are ringed in red in the attached. At a guess the P2 battery is similar.
The clips are relatively easy to displace and thin but stiff plastic can then be slipped under them to keep them displaced. I do not know if the glue of the 'spigot' joints will soften with heat but, following a youtube video for the P3 battery, I knocked the top off with the handle of a table knife, in the video I recollect a pair of mole grips where used as the slide hammer..
I split the main body of the case by MANY times LIGHTLY drawing a scalpel along the seam, you do not want the scalpel etc.to penetrate, patience and persistance is needed.
If the P2 halves are joined the way my P3 halves were, the guy in the P2 video must have shoulders like King Kong !
I worked first on the sides at the bottom of the battery, when their seams are 'cut' I work on the seam across the bottom of the battery.
The seam around the top end of the battery seemed more robust as it also housed the battery connector but with the bottom of the case slightly splayed it was cut in then same manner, i.e. sides first and the top near enough came apart after a few passes with the scalpel.
The grey cover around the cells may well be metal and provide some protection for the cells but don't bank on it and cut very carefully.
My shell will be perfectly reusable with say a bead of impact adhesive around the seams.

Attachments

• battery top.jpg
    battery top.jpg
    626.6 KB · Views: 158
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Flying_Doctor
It might bea useful video for me too as I have a dead P3 battery. You might also like
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
After watching the first video that guy is a blooming idiot. As for the second video, it may look simple but there's more to it I have done that mod. But since aftermarket batteries only cost 52.00 USD it's cheaper to buy them instead of doing the mod.

Reactions: Mark The Droner

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic