Surprised by video settings

I think ART may be the best flat profile.
I agree totally as DLOG does not work for landscaping ( trees...grass get mushy). The question would be: why not NONE?

Has anyone noticed with the latest IOS app and Firmware that the Custom Style setting is all screwed up and you can't set it?

Jack

Has anyone noticed with the latest IOS app and Firmware that the Custom Style setting is all screwed up and you can't set it?

Jack
I reported it on the DJI forum however, DJI seemed surprised and there are not many people reminding them that this is indeed a problem. Possibly most people shoot auto exposure with little consideration to any post processing. Please go there and add your voice. I have been using Litchi for 99% of my flying since DJI released Go 3.1.1. and my pad automatically updated.

I did more tests. Attached are 3 pictures taken from a 4K movie of P4 zoom in 220%...see DLOG does not show grass details...however, NONE and ART show it
dlog.jpg
none.jpg
art.jpg

I agree totally as DLOG does not work for landscaping ( trees...grass get mushy). The question would be: why not NONE?

I think none is the other best option. Depending on personal taste, I think none or art is the way to go. I personally like the art profile with just a bit of saturation and contrast added. None is obviously going to have more contrast and will require the least amount of tweaking in post... which is of course a good thing considering the compression the video has.

Jack

Yup... I hope they get it fixed. I have to back out and then go back in the menu to change different custom settings... It's a nuisance but not too hard to work around... at least on my ipad mini 2.

Here is a comparison between DLOG and ART. Settings were 0 across the board on both.View attachment 69881
Hmmm... It appears that certain settings are baked into the profile, similar to the way sharpness, contrast, color balance and the rest are baked into a jpeg still. It seems to me that "NONE" may be the best way to go, especially when you consider contrast (and other) settings are destructive. You can't undo a contrast adjustment that's baked in. Increasing contrast implies a loss of color information that cannot be recovered. Same thing with sharpness, which is another adjustment that may be baked into a profile, Sharpness can't be undone either. IMO you may try, but GIGO. .

Here comes the disclaimer: I'm new at video, but I'm not a noob photographer. I always shoot RAW. I prefer to apply adjustments to the pristine file in post. Why shouldn't this apply to video? If the P4 offered me a RAW video file, then that's what I would use. Short of that I still want to apply any adjustments that need to be done in post. I would rather make adjustments myself. Start with a file that contains as much information as possible, and go from there.

Shoot the same subject for the same duration, using different profiles. Then see which file is the largest. That's the one I would use. To me, anything else is speculation.

If I had my way I would hang a 5D4 under the belly of a quad capable of lifting it, but that's beyond my price point. The P4 is the best I can afford. It does a good job, but the output of it's camera is chock full of compromises. It's a shame that the level of compression is not user adjustable. 4K is wonderful, but a good deal of information is compressed away.

God only knows how much of this I got wrong...

Just my $.02

Cheers

Last edited:
Here is a comparison between DLOG and ART.
I tested the settings again and again, now, my finalists are: None and D-Cinemalike ( if you want a flatter setting). I discarded Art as it changes a little bit the color tones. What do you think? Definitely, D-Log does not maintain small details like grass and far away trees. Now, I tend to like D-Cinemalike, it is flat and keeps detail.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20