Supermoon Top Tips

Reaction score
There is due to be a Supermoon on Sunday. Does anyone one have any top tips for getting some good shots.
Im using a phantom 3 Pro in the uk (so will probably be cloudy anyway).

I am aware that the lens is quite wide angle so the moon may appear not as big as i might hope so it maybe as much a good shot of some nightime scenery as that of the moon.
Cheers

You'll get just as good a shot on the ground with your iPhone or other good point-and-shoot camera. It will be bright so your shots may be blown out unless you watch your settings. If you are hovering with the moon in the shot, mess with your aperture until you get what you want.

Reactions: HoleInTheSky
Reactions: FlyingCorkers
You'll get just as good a shot on the ground with your iPhone or other good point-and-shoot camera. It will be bright so your shots may be blown out unless you watch your settings. If you are hovering with the moon in the shot, mess with your aperture until you get what you want.
I was going to take my dslr and tripod along for some proper shots. I think the p3pro settings will be tricky as shots in daytime arn't fantastic with the 12mp camera. But im figuring that if i can fly it out over some water near the docks i might be able to get something.
I suppose i was wondering for some setting suggestions to get me started as ive not flown it at night yet.

There is due to be a Supermoon on Sunday. Does anyone one have any top tips for getting some good shots.
A supermoon doesn't appear noticeably larger than any other moon.
The Phantom camera is about the worst possible camera to use to photograph the moon anyway.
It will be tiny and just a mess of blown out highlight.
My top tip would be to use a telephoto lens on an SLR if you want to get any decent photos of the moon (but you still won't get anything more from a "super" moon.

This will show you how big a full moon looks in a Phantom photo.
I unintentionally caught the moon the day before full moon in this photo.
Because the sky hasn't gone dark, the moon hasn't blown out into a slightly bigger overexposed blur.
DJI_0892a-X3.jpg

Fair enough. This was what i thought. Might just take the opportunity for a night flight as well anyway. Cheers chaps

Im using a phantom 3 Pro in the uk (so will probably be cloudy anyway).

I am aware that the lens is quite wide angle so the moon may appear not as big as i might hope so it maybe as much a good shot of some nightime scenery as that of the moon.
Cheers

It's strange that many novices believe they can take a photo of say the supermoon with the camera mounted a Phantom multirotor when all they will see is a bright white dot on the horizon.

Photos like these are nothing more than composites ( two stacked photos). The moon was shot with DLSR using a large telephoto lens mounted on a tripod or the camera mounted on a telescope.
Supermoon.jpg
Plane & moon.jpg

Reactions: Neon Euc
Here's manipulated video of a supermoon rising from behind buildings. This only took an hour to put together. When you see photos or video that the foreground is just too sharp not to be a fake.

Reactions: loonie01
Here's manipulated video of a supermoon rising from behind buildings. This only took an hour to put together. When you see photos or video that the foreground is just too sharp not to be a fake.
Huh?

Huh?

Take off and fly directly towards the moon. The closer you get, the larger the moon will appear. Recommend a battery mod and 31mph steady rate for best distance. Good luck!

Reactions: Erised
It's strange that many novices believe they can take a photo of say the supermoon with the camera mounted a Phantom multirotor when all they will see is a bright white dot on the horizon.

Photos like these are nothing more than composites ( two stacked photos). The moon was shot with DLSR using a large telephoto lens mounted on a tripod or the camera mounted on a telescope.
View attachment 91534 View attachment 91535
Thanks for insinuating that i am a novice. If you read what i wrote at the top i said i am well aware that the camera is wide angle and that the moon will be small. However, as the moon light will be up to 30% brighter than normal. I was after 'tips' around shooting the 'scenery' as i have not flown at night before and i am hoping for some decent lighting from said moon.
I said I will also be taking my DSLR with an obviously better lens.

If you want detail in the moon's surface, a proper exposure won't care if it's a super moon or not. I also agree that you should just use a good DSLR instead of your drone. IIRC, you might try a manual exposure of f11 @ 125th. If you use the drone, use a ND filter to cut down on the brightness of the moon. My best moon shots (using a DSLR) have always come the night before it's full; the slight off angle of the sun adds some shadow depth to the surface craters, and the disk still appears full.

That said, Jake Deer, that's a really cool shot. Did you use a diopter to get a narrower angle? Nice catch!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj