Sun Shade for Nvidia Shield?

Reaction score
I cant find any commercially available sun shades for the shield.. Does anyone own one>? i flew for the first time today and cant see my screen at all.. its terrible :)
thanks

Last edited:
I have one like that, it's meh. In my opinion the sun shades don't do much. It's hard either way seeing the screen. I'm waiting for the Headplay FPV goggles and HDMI out from DJi. It should be a night and day difference.

i have the headplay ordered as well... those will be SWEET.. i have my shield to output hdmi, so ill have the HUD as well on screen when i want it... is the resolution on the headplay 720p? in which case that is what the app outputs, so im good.. if it can do better, then ill have to buy the HDMI board once DJI releases it.
when are the headplays expecting to ship?

Headplay resolution is 1280x800 so yes it'll be 720p based on what they have noted at their website. I haven't actually pre-ordered one though. They haven't said when they'll be available so I'm a bit hesitant to pre-order. If they would give a time-frame then I probably would.

That ten inch sunshade is a painful choice for any tablet not iPad sized. I had to make significant alterations to make it work with my Nexus 9

Yep, I had to cut out areas for the cord/remote controller hardware. I didn't trust the little suction cups to hold the shield so i cut holes and added zip ties.. Not the best option..

Yes, the one linked to would may be too big. Something like this would be better fitted for the Shield:

http://www.amazon.com/BTG-Tablet-Su...432297416&sr=1-1&keywords=inspire+8"+sunshade

However, you'd still need to cut holes for the power cable and power button. I'd thinks with any shade the Shield's power button would be a real pain.

I bought some board and am working on a custom shade. I'll just use duct tape as hinges to hold it together.

Yep, I had to cut out areas for the cord/remote controller hardware. I didn't trust the little suction cups to hold the shield so i cut holes and added zip ties.. Not the best option..

The one linked to doesn't have suction cups. It does have a strong plastic core with I'm guessing a vinyl outer shell and a felt inner shell. That does make it challenging to cut. Overall it's a really nice sunshield, but it is huge. It helps with direct sunlight, but does not help with light hitting you and reflecting off the screen.

Ultimately I think I would love to mount the tablet and sunshade to a chest rig or tripod and keep the remote light. I never need to look at the remote.

Here's a good tutorial on DIY Nvidia Shield tablet sunshade
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Cheers! We didn't own a printer, so we've asked one of our friends to print it for us (We had to make a variant that takes two parts, we shared the STL files for you to use if the printer is too small - which was the case for us). There are numerous ways to print: you could use your local library (they should have innovation hubs) or any 3d printing shops.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic