Suggestion for those who registered

Fourteen dollars? I'll pass.

Around here the police are bored to death. I bet they'd love to come out here and investigate a drone. Breaks up the monotony. What worries me is they're not going to know what is permitted, was is allowed, what is legal, what is suggested, what is a guideline, what is a TFR, what is an FRZ, what is an SFRA, what is current now as opposed to three weeks ago, as opposed to two months ago, as opposed to last summer, etc. Cops aren't going to keep up with this stuff. It changes week to week. My experience is, cops tend to err on the aggressive side. That's what worries me.
Agreed, that is why I print the rules and bring them in a 3 ring binder.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Besides the helpful document NO17 already posted, if you read this site often, you can't help but notice that LEOs are becoming a lot more active the past few months regarding interrupting UAV pilots.

And the FAA seems to be promoting this spirit too, evidenced by a recent thread where somebody found a phantom in their back yard with an FA number, and when FAA was notified, rather than be helpful and provide a name or number, they instructed the finder to turn the craft over to the local police department.

6129397.4592128.jpg

That was me that contacted the FAA about that,

I suspect they are doing to that to address the privacy concerns that many folks have about the registry.

rightfully so!

I actually never expected them to provide me the info.

My email had my contact info to give the owner as that is how I would have preferred it.

My post was so folks would be aware that our info is NOT free to public at least for now.....

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Fourteen dollars? I'll pass.

Around here the police are bored to death. I bet they'd love to come out here and investigate a drone. Breaks up the monotony. What worries me is they're not going to know what is permitted, was is allowed, what is legal, what is suggested, what is a guideline, what is a TFR, what is an FRZ, what is an SFRA, what is current now as opposed to three weeks ago, as opposed to two months ago, as opposed to last summer, etc. Cops aren't going to keep up with this stuff. It changes week to week. My experience is, cops tend to err on the aggressive side. That's what worries me.

They are required to at least show up when a citizen calls.

One local officer came across me one day , I parked my quad about 100 foot up and had to declare ccw (ohio law),
he laughed and tapped his hip and said me too!
we then chatted about or carry pieces and he moved on!

respect usually gets respect!

And the FAA seems to be promoting this spirit too, evidenced by a recent thread where somebody found a phantom in their back yard with an FA number, and when FAA was notified, rather than be helpful and provide a name or number, they instructed the finder to turn the craft over to the local police department.
But isn't this exactly what most on this list wanted to happen?
Weren't some here droning on and on, day after day how our registration numbers would be "searchable by the public" and the fear of some neighbor finding your drone and being able to have the data base information at their finger tips and find YOU, the DRONE PILOT, and that was going to be an invasion of YOUR privacy? I'm quite sure I read a lot of that here.
So now the FAA does what many here wanted - protected the privacy of the owner - so that only the police would access the data base and trace the registration number, and y'all are complaining about it?
Why? Do you suppose that the FAA and was just trying to get the drone back to the owner, and allowing the local LEOs to complete that task?

That was me that contacted the FAA about that,

I suspect they are doing to that to address the privacy concerns that many folks have about the registry.

rightfully so!

I actually never expected them to provide me the info.

My email had my contact info to give the owner as that is how I would have preferred it.

My post was so folks would be aware that our info is NOT free to public at least for now.....
Thank you for verifying what I just posted about.

Thank you for verifying what I just posted about.

I was not the finder but offered to help him as he was a non drone guy.
but he did get to forums to search out owner so thanks.

could you all imagine sitting by the pool one day and a phantom comes to a gentle landing poolside out of no where.
I hope the video if it was on gets saved and posted ........

Reactions: GoodnNuff
They are required to at least show up when a citizen calls.

One local officer came across me one day , I parked my quad about 100 foot up and had to declare ccw (ohio law),
he laughed and tapped his hip and said me too!
we then chatted about or carry pieces and he moved on!

respect usually gets respect!
One gunman to another! :cool:

Weren't some here droning on and on, day after day how our registration numbers would be "searchable by the public" and the fear of some neighbor finding your drone and being able to have the data base information at their finger tips and find YOU, the DRONE PILOT, and that was going to be an invasion of YOUR privacy? I'm quite sure I read a lot of that here.
So now the FAA does what many here wanted - protected the privacy of the owner - so that only the police would access the data base and trace the registration number, and y'all are complaining about it?
Why? Do you suppose that the FAA and was just trying to get the drone back to the owner, and allowing the local LEOs to complete that task?
Indeed, but only because the FAA hasn't yet fully implemented that search part of the public database, as already preordained. The FAA documents have already stated that they fully intend to implement it, and nothing I have read or heard has done anything to dispel that notion.

Indeed, but only because the FAA hasn't yet fully implemented that search part of the public database, as already preordained. The FAA documents have already stated that they fully intend to implement it, and nothing I have read or heard has done anything to dispel that notion.
They intend to make the 333 Exemptions searchable, like and other Commercial pilot

They intend to make the 333 Exemptions searchable, like and other Commercial pilot
We've been through this several times with GadgetGuy. He is convinced that roving bands of Drone Haters are just waiting to pillage and plunder his home and the FAA is handing them his address. Or something akin to that.

Reactions: N017RW
Yes, I agree, but surely there is another answer to this than to get law enforcement involved.

We've been through this several times with GadgetGuy. He is convinced that roving bands of Drone Haters are just waiting to pillage and plunder his home and the FAA is handing them his address. Or something akin to that.
Nothing of the sort! Stop making stuff up! Fact is that the SUA database will eventually be publicly searchable, when the FAA is finished with the full implementation. It's in the FAA documents. You cannot deny that. The 333 database and all N numbers are now and have always been searchable by anyone. That's all.

I just threw a .pdf onto my phone, my tablet used for flying, as well as on my Dropbox account.
I believe the rule is you have to have the number on your bird like a license plate so should it fall out of the sky, it is traceable to you.

I put a label from a label maker on each battery I own.

This looks nice and official but just print it and laminate it and staples or Michaels for $3. If someone needs help, I'll make one like this and send it to you. I will probably make one to carry on me with my FAA number just so it looks legit as that might throw off a possible snooping cop.

Nothing of the sort! Stop making stuff up! Fact is that the SUA database will eventually be publicly searchable, when the FAA is finished with the full implementation. It's in the FAA documents. You cannot deny that. The 333 database and all N numbers are now and have always been searchable by anyone. That's all.
Can you show me where it says that? Surely you have a link?

They already are, and have always been.
Every FAA "N number" has always been publicly searchable. Just google any N number from any aircraft, or anyone's 333 exemption N numbers. You'll immediately see the name of who or what entity it is registered to, along with the address.
Here. I know you are busy. I did it for you.
FAA Registry - Aircraft - N-Number Inquiry
The FAA database of UAS pilot registration numbers will eventually be searchable in the same manner. FAA says so. :D

Last edited:

super easy ....to find if interested

the n numbers are found easy on faa site
simple google "faa n number"

thats how I started to find what to do with the lost drone

also saw info that out FA number will be online as ell just not implemented yet.
it all on faa and easy to see if interested

Reactions: GadgetGuy
They already are, and have always been.

Every FAA "N number" has always been publicly searchable. Just google any N number from any aircraft, or anyone's 333 exemption N numbers. You'll immediately see the name of who or what entity it is registered to, along with the address.
Here. I know you are busy. I did it for you.
FAA Registry - Aircraft - N-Number Inquiry
The FAA database of UAS pilot registration numbers will eventually be searchable in the same manner. FAA says so. :D

Privacy
Q51. Who can see the data that I can enter?

A. The FAA will be able to see the data that you enter. The FAA is using a contractor to maintain the website and database, and that contractor also will be able to see the data that you enter. Like the FAA, the contractor is required to comply with strict legal requirements to protect the confidentiality of the personal data you provide. Under certain circumstances, law enforcement officers might also be able to see the data. In the future, the registration database will be searchable by registration number only, but not by name or address. However, it is not searchable at this time.

Q52. Will my email address be used for other purposes? Will you make it available to other agencies or companies?

A. No.

Q53. Why is the current Aircraft Registry fully searchable but this one is not?

A. The current Aircraft Registry is most frequently used to record the documents used to secure the financing of the aircraft and to aid in proof of ownership. Full searchability of that portion of the Aircraft Registry is needed to enable those purposes. It is much less likely that UAS in the .55 pound to 55 pounds category will require secured financing or need to affirmatively prove ownership. The Government, in accordance with the requirements of the Privacy Act, protects and generally does not release personal information. Given the nature of UAS, in particular, the risk that the communications link between the operator of the UAS is disrupted or lost, and the risk of losing the UAS is larger than it is for other types of aircraft. Allowing searches of the unique identifying number of UAS will enable the return of these aircraft to their owners.

In December I posted a number that anyone could call and ask about searchibility and privacy. Nobody here called it that I am aware of. The nice lady at the FAA that I spoke with said this data base will only be searchable by LEO and other select entities, that the general public will not be able to search through the data.
Even if I can be searched by my unique registry number, so what? It assures that my drone will be returned. I've had fixed wing RC aircraft returned because my name and telephone number are on all of my aircraft.
What is it you are so afraid ot the public knowing about you?

Last edited:
Privacy
Q51. Who can see the data that I can enter?

A. The FAA will be able to see the data that you enter. The FAA is using a contractor to maintain the website and database, and that contractor also will be able to see the data that you enter. Like the FAA, the contractor is required to comply with strict legal requirements to protect the confidentiality of the personal data you provide. Under certain circumstances, law enforcement officers might also be able to see the data. In the future, the registration database will be searchable by registration number only, but not by name or address. However, it is not searchable at this time.

Q52. Will my email address be used for other purposes? Will you make it available to other agencies or companies?

A. No.

Q53. Why is the current Aircraft Registry fully searchable but this one is not?

A. The current Aircraft Registry is most frequently used to record the documents used to secure the financing of the aircraft and to aid in proof of ownership. Full searchability of that portion of the Aircraft Registry is needed to enable those purposes. It is much less likely that UAS in the .55 pound to 55 pounds category will require secured financing or need to affirmatively prove ownership. The Government, in accordance with the requirements of the Privacy Act, protects and generally does not release personal information. Given the nature of UAS, in particular, the risk that the communications link between the operator of the UAS is disrupted or lost, and the risk of losing the UAS is larger than it is for other types of aircraft. Allowing searches of the unique identifying number of UAS will enable the return of these aircraft to their owners.

In December I posted a number that anyone could call and ask about searchibility and privacy. Nobody here called it that I am aware of. The nice lady at the FAA that I spoke with said this data base will only be searchable by LEO and other select entities, that the general public will not be able to search through the data.
Even if I can be searched by my unique registry number, so what? It assures that my drone will be returned. I've had fixed wing RC aircraft returned because my name and telephone number are on all of my aircraft.
What is it you are so afraid ot the public knowing about you?
I misunderstood which citation you were wanting a link to.
I have supplied it numerous times before on this very forum.
Here is the verbatim quote from page 48 of the original FAA document:
"Additionally, as provided in the SORN, the general public will be able to search the part 48 registry database by the unique identifier. The name and address associated with that unique identifier will populate in accordance with that search."
it will be publicly searchable. Stop making up speculations that it won't be.
Make up your mind. You can't have it both ways! Why someone might like or not like the public searchability is not at issue here!

I misunderstood which citation you were wanting a link to.
I have supplied it numerous times before on this very forum.
Here is the verbatim quote from page 48 of the original FAA document:
"Additionally, as provided in the SORN, the general public will be able to search the part 48 registry database by the unique identifier. The name and address associated with that unique identifier will populate in accordance with that search."
it will be publicly searchable. Stop making up speculations that it won't be.
Make up your mind. You can't have it both ways! Why someone might like or not like the public searchability is not at issue here!
Ok ok little buddy. you win! Not going to argue with you anymore.
Sure wished you know how to add a link instead of always referring me page XX of document YZ.
Just funny that you are the only one still going on about this.
heh

"Stop making up speculations that it won't be." <-------bwahahaahaha Ok, I'll stop speculating if you do....lol

Ok ok little buddy. you win! Not going to argue with you anymore.
Sure wished you know how to add a link instead of always referring me page XX of document YZ.
Just funny that you are the only one still going on about this.
heh

"Stop making up speculations that it won't be." <-------bwahahaahaha Ok, I'll stop speculating if you do....lol
Thank you. Done and done.:cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav