Suggestion for those who registered

Reaction score
When you print your registration take it to a printshop or office supply store and have it laminated.
Once folded and laminated it is wallet size, durable and waterproof.
I had 4 copies done for $1.32. One in wallet and one in each UAS case.

I know a majority probably already thought of this but I posted for the 3 members who hadn't thought of it.

I have an lamanater already, got it on sale one day at staples or walmarts, cant remember which. I pick up various size hot lamant pockets occasionally as I do my ham license & event sheets for my local club. I'll do theirs also if asked, plus I do my yearly vet associations card, along with my professional licenses.
I have a walkabout notepad pouch from my military days that I keep them in, its part of my usual edc junk anyways.

I'd never hand my cellphone or tablet to a leo, nothing personal but in my state thats basically giving them consent to search, same reason I still have a paper car insurance card instead of electronic. Sides, what if my phone has a failure or I wipe & reinstall about every month or so its just easier to do the paper, I never have to worry about it as its tucked in with my car registration.

I don't expect local LE would even know to ask nor care. It is outside there jurisdiction. Unless your municipalities pass there own ordinances requiring FAA registration I don't ever expect to be asked to show my registration.

Reactions: Jesse_M
I don't expect local LE would even know to ask nor care. It is outside there jurisdiction. Unless your municipalities pass there own ordinances requiring FAA registration I don't ever expect to be asked to show my registration.
Me either, but then I don't expect my UAS to have a critical failure were it might come into play.

Reactions: QuadBart
you do know in some locations, you had them your phone then anything on it is theirs for the taking... just like if you say.. oh, its right here on my living room table.. as they walk through the house anything they see is fair game.... dont think they would care about your pictures of dear old granny on your phone, however the videos of you flying 500ft.. or out of line of sight might interest them.. just my .02

While true that YOU may never be asked due to your particular circumstances, you're other assumptions are wrong.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/regulations_policies/media/FAA_UAS-PO_LEA_Guidance.pdf

Exactly! I was going to post that same link N017RW. More are aware of this than you realize. I've yet to have LE ask me anything about it (I work with them) but you can bet your bottom dollar just because they are LE doesn't mean they don't read the paper or don't watch the same news casts the rest of us watch where the media has created a buzz word around UAS Registration. They know more than you think or at least most do.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
i just made a copy and threw it in my glove compt in my car.

While true that YOU may never be asked due to your particular circumstances, you're other assumptions are wrong.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/regulations_policies/media/FAA_UAS-PO_LEA_Guidance.pdf
According to the document, the FAA says any examination of the aircraft must be consentual, for any FAA enforcement action, so you apparently have the right to refuse consent to any LEO requesting to examine the aircraft (say to determine if your FAA number is actually inside the battery compartment). In any event, you still have to show any LEO a copy of your owner registration certificate, upon request.:cool:

I keep a copy in my wallet and a copy in my case. I also keep a copy on my phone as well.

Besides the helpful document NO17 already posted, if you read this site often, you can't help but notice that LEOs are becoming a lot more active the past few months regarding interrupting UAV pilots.

And the FAA seems to be promoting this spirit too, evidenced by a recent thread where somebody found a phantom in their back yard with an FA number, and when FAA was notified, rather than be helpful and provide a name or number, they instructed the finder to turn the craft over to the local police department.

6129397.4592128.jpg

Besides the helpful document NO17 already posted, if you read this site often, you can't help but notice that LEOs are becoming a lot more active the past few months regarding interrupting UAV pilots.

And the FAA seems to be promoting this spirit too, evidenced by a recent thread where somebody found a phantom in their back yard with an FA number, and when FAA was notified, rather than be helpful and provide a name or number, they instructed the finder to turn the craft over to the local police department.

6129397.4592128.jpg
Very true. What is unclear is whether the already overworked and understaffed local police departments want to be burdened with investigating such trivial matters that only the FAA can actually do anything about, and whether they would even respond, if called about such an incident. Clearly, the FAA isn't going to waste their time sending someone out to investigate a drone in a back yard! I doubt the police will either.

Very true. What is unclear is whether the already overworked and understaffed local police departments want to be burdened with investigating such trivial matters that only the FAA can actually do anything about, and whether they would even respond, if called about such an incident. Clearly, the FAA isn't going to waste their time sending someone out to investigate a drone in a back yard! I doubt the police will either.

Police don't 'want' or otherwise...

Once called, unless the 'complaint' subject can be determined to have already been or is in process of being investigated, dismissed or similar, they are compelled to respond.

Reactions: Bob N and GoodnNuff
Fourteen dollars? I'll pass.

...Clearly, the FAA isn't going to waste their time sending someone out to investigate a drone in a back yard! I doubt the police will either.
Around here the police are bored to death. I bet they'd love to come out here and investigate a drone. Breaks up the monotony. What worries me is they're not going to know what is permitted, was is allowed, what is legal, what is suggested, what is a guideline, what is a TFR, what is an FRZ, what is an SFRA, what is current now as opposed to three weeks ago, as opposed to two months ago, as opposed to last summer, etc. Cops aren't going to keep up with this stuff. It changes week to week. My experience is, cops tend to err on the aggressive side. That's what worries me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4