Successful maiden flight for Phantom SP

Reaction score
13516843253_fb53d24d2f.jpg

Finished my Phantom SP ("Spare Parts") last night. It has been created largely out of spare parts from my flight box - all I had to buy was 4 x ESCs, a power cable, landing skids and a receiver. I spent less than £130 in new money.

Very encouraging first few flights - very stable even in the quite gusty winds here in western Scotland today. It seems to fly better on standard DJI props than it does on the larger self tightening units.

Here is (some of) the story of the build :

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10748

OI Photography said:
Nice!

I'm assuming the guts are original P1 gear, judging from your battery and LED config..? How did you end up with a P2 shell in your spares bin?

No, it's not the P1 gear. It's a Naza V1, PMU V2, Naza V1 GPS (not Phantom version), V2 LED, Orange receiver (Spektrum compatible) all mounted on an F450 upper deck - which fits perfectly inside the P2 shell - in place of a circuit board.

Although itself somewhat modified from original spec, my P1 is still in one piece. However, I did originally buy the P2 shell with the intent of converting my P1 - but it seemed a shame to mess with it as it flies so well. So it sat in my flight box for a few months until now.

gDallasK said:
OI Photography said:
Nice!

I'm assuming the guts are original P1 gear, judging from your battery and LED config..? How did you end up with a P2 shell in your spares bin?

No, it's not the P1 gear. It's a Naza V1, PMU V2, Naza V1 GPS (not Phantom version), V2 LED, Orange receiver (Spektrum compatible) all mounted on an F450 upper deck - which fits perfectly inside the P2 shell - in place of a circuit board.

Although itself somewhat modified from original spec, my P1 is still in one piece. However, I did originally buy the P2 shell with the intent of converting my P1 - but it seemed a shame to mess with it as it flies so well. So it sat in my flight box for a few months until now.

Ahh ok right I remember your mod now...sorry didn't make the connection at first :oops:

Looks sweet though...and I'm sure it's truly one of a kind! What batt(s) are you using? (sorry if you've mentioned that before)

Howzit said:
I see a big battery door - what battery are you using?

An Ebay special from Canada. Though to be honest quality is very poor (and it keeps falling off). It's a 3D print with quite bad discolouration, a crack and malformed attachment clips.

I have ordered a Dewey door from Shapeways which hopefully will arrive soon and be much better.

OI Photography said:
gDallasK said:
OI Photography said:
Nice!

Ahh ok right I remember your mod now...sorry didn't make the connection at first :oops:

Looks sweet though...and I'm sure it's truly one of a kind! What batt(s) are you using? (sorry if you've mentioned that before)

I've got quite a few batteries - original Phantom, Buzzflyer 2200 mah and a "Dinogy" 2800 mah Nanotech along with some bigger 3C batteries from my earlier Flamewheels and Discovery. I have a dual battery adapter but I've not tried it yet (other than confirming that I can fit 2 batteries and the harness inside the shell). It flies for a long time on a standard 2200 mah battery though as it's pretty light with no camera or gimbal (yet).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl