Stuttering video in 4k

Reaction score
Just got y P3 yesterday. Upgraded the firmware, calibrated and sent it off for its first flight.
I have been flying a P2V+ for a year, so I was looking forward to the improvements.

When it came back and I looked at the video I noticed there was stuttering. The video was not smooth. This is not a Jello effect, at least in my opinion, as the shake was not within the frame. Rather it seemed like it was missing frames. This was especially apparent when yawing or when ascending/descending.

I changed the setting to 1080p and retested and the video was much smoother. I don't know if I am now over sensitive, to this, but I went back and checked my P2V+ videos and they were all real smooth.

Any idea of what could be going on?
Has anyone else had the same experience?

Note- I did have the foam gimbal protector off.

The Phantom 3 camera settings are much more complex than older Phantoms. This detailed video should help:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Playing 4K video is quite a task. Are you sure your computer is man enough?

Playing 4K video is quite a task. Are you sure your computer is man enough?
Good question. I was playing it on the ipad Air 2, directly from the phantom.
I played the videos directly on the computer and it looked great! There was however a quick yaw that was a little dizzying and seemed to have a few frames missing- but it was definitely not stuttering.
Thanks for the quick great responses!

Reactions: loganboyd
For a smooth video with 24/25 FPS 4K the shutter speed must between 1/24 and 1/150. Otherwise the video is stuttering. On a bright day you need an ND-filter to take video's with that shutterspeed. I'm waiting for ND-filters for P3P too. I'm working with 1080p 60FPS now and that's smooth enough for now.

Nikon - where have you found ND filters that fit the P3P? Or do you mean you're waiting for DJI to come up with something?

Just got y P3 yesterday. Upgraded the firmware, calibrated and sent it off for its first flight.
I have been flying a P2V+ for a year, so I was looking forward to the improvements.

When it came back and I looked at the video I noticed there was stuttering. The video was not smooth. This is not a Jello effect, at least in my opinion, as the shake was not within the frame. Rather it seemed like it was missing frames. This was especially apparent when yawing or when ascending/descending.

I changed the setting to 1080p and retested and the video was much smoother. I don't know if I am now over sensitive, to this, but I went back and checked my P2V+ videos and they were all real smooth.

I'm 100% sure it depends on what device your playing back the video. My iMac is a little out dated and I never can get smooth raw video right from the SD card. I have to throw it into my editing software and render it. Theres also some free methods to use. But, upgrading your computer is a must if your not familiar with the way computer handles such large files. It basically can't process all the quality without converting or rendering.

Make sure your memory card has a good write speed also. Sounds like it could have been an issue with the speed it was able to write to mem with. Could be that it skips frames in the buffer when the card isn't ready to write, especially when in 4k, lots more to write.

I had exactly that problem and even importing into FCPX made no difference. I think I am missing an import step because the method suggested (removing the card and loading it directly into the MacBook) seems to be the issue. However a work-around (and it worked brilliantly) was to convert the video to HQ MP4. I used MacX Video Converter Pro. Suddenly I was breathing much easier! Not the ideal solution but its a start.

Stuttering that you see is because your system is unable to handle it. Never play directly from SD card. Copy to your system and then play.

Happened recently to me too. Agree with alokbhargava, it is always better to copy to system. VLC had problems, then i used the W10 player and it worked.

My computer specs:
-AMD FX-8320 (8 core)
-ASUS GTX750Ti (2GB Version) (this is rated to display 4k resolution)
-8GB Ram (hyper x)
-Windows 10

I don't know why, but i can not seem to play back 4k video. I know VLC, the windows media player, and quick time all do not work for me. Any ideas? I am going to try some different media players today. Do you think that my computer has enough power? I built it myself only about a year ago..

My computer specs:
-AMD FX-8320 (8 core)
-ASUS GTX750Ti (2GB Version) (this is rated to display 4k resolution)
-8GB Ram (hyper x)
-Windows 10

I don't know why, but i can not seem to play back 4k video. I know VLC, the windows media player, and quick time all do not work for me. Any ideas? I am going to try some different media players today. Do you think that my computer has enough power? I built it myself only about a year ago..

I have basically the same system but with the crappy R7 200 video card that came with the FX-8320. Windows Media Player and Windows 10 "Movies and TV" (Video.UI) plays them without issue. VLC, however, will not. Have you tried the Windows 10 "Movies and TV" player?

Mike

I have basically the same system but with the crappy R7 200 video card that came with the FX-8320. Windows Media Player and Windows 10 "Movies and TV" (Video.UI) plays them without issue. VLC, however, will not. Have you tried the Windows 10 "Movies and TV" player?

Mike

I dont think so.. I will check when I get infront of my computer again and update my comment if i find a solution. Thanks!

This thread makes me so glad I switched over to a mac a few years ago. Glad I don't need to deal with issues like these.

But as many have started you need some decently powered components to process and play 4k. Then a good stable operating system. Store bought widows computers tend to have a lot of bloatware. These can be memory hogs and greatly reduce performance

This thread makes me so glad I switched over to a mac a few years ago. Glad I don't need to deal with issues like these.

But as many have started you need some decently powered components to process and play 4k. Then a good stable operating system. Store bought widows computers tend to have a lot of bloatware. These can be memory hogs and greatly reduce performance

It's really not a Mac or PC thing. I have a 7 year old quad core Windows PC that plays them with no problem at all. $150 video card upgrade saved me from buying a new computer and my son even plays CSGO on it. At 120 FPS. :) Try that on a 7 year old Mac! ;)

Mike

Reactions: MiniMadMarty

But with Mac you have to spend twice the money to get the same performance. Sometimes even quadrouple the price when you start looking at the mac pro. If I spend the extra $200 on a better processor i probably wouldn't of ran into this problem on my PC. And no bloatware here because i built my own. Its like legos.

It's really not a Mac or PC thing. I have a 7 year old quad core Windows PC that plays them with no problem at all. $150 video card upgrade saved me from buying a new computer and my son even plays CSGO on it. At 120 FPS. :) Try that on a 7 year old Mac! ;)

Mike

Older macs can be upgraded to an extent as well!

But you can't fix an inefficient operating system!!

Windows needs to support countless hardware combos from countless suppliers. Much like android phones (also not a fan of Android).

I hate using my windows laptop daily. Ugh.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31