Stress cracks, HELP!

It still cracks with the new shell. Mine is on its way to DJI for replacement after less than 20 flights [emoji17]

That's very discouraging! Were you able to open up the shell and check if it were the "new" shell?

That's very discouraging! Were you able to open up the shell and check if it were the "new" shell?

It's a new shell for sure. I could see it clearly by shining a flash light from the bottom of the arms or looking through the small area between the motors and the shell from the top.

It's a new shell for sure. I could see it clearly by shining a flash light from the bottom of the arms or looking through the small area between the motors and the shell from the top.

I guess we're left with no choice but to purchase those "reinforcement plates"? DJI should address this problem.

DJI fixed mine for 400 Bucks send it in to them.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
My P3A was received in Sep 2015, as a warranty replacement for one I bought in May 2015, which had the RC bricked by a firmware upgrade. The replacement one has the new model motors and shell. It recently got a big crack under one of the motors. Was never crashed - in fact, I still use the original 4 props. Props balanced including hubs. So I doubt I will get any warranty help. I opened a case via email with DJI, asking the cost assuming no warranty. They replied I would have to send it in and they would let me know the charge if any, and I could refuse that and pay for return shipping. Before paying $400, I think I'll buy a shell and fix it myself. I plan to sell it in a few months and get a P4P - cracks and glue joints would not help with selling it.

I guess we're left with no choice but to purchase those "reinforcement plates"? DJI should address this problem.
I've seen mixed feedback on these reinforcement plates in this forum. What I've done with my other P3 is apply Plast-Aid on both bottom and top shells and so far they've held up in 20 flights with external batteries. You might want to look into it.

I've seen mixed feedback on these reinforcement plates in this forum. What I've done with my other P3 is apply Plast-Aid on both bottom and top shells and so far they've held up in 20 flights with external batteries. You might want to look into it.

Thank you very much for the tip!
I just googled Plast-aid...really great product. Need to get this stuff!
In case you have the time, maybe you can share a picture on how you applied it on the shells?

Thank you very much for the tip!
I just googled Plast-aid...really great product. Need to get this stuff!
In case you have the time, maybe you can share a picture on how you applied it on the shells?

Read the 1st post of this thread and you'll have an idea how it works and how to apply it. The OP has a picture as well. I poured it on the shell when it was still in liquid state since it was easier to spread it evenly. I mixed the solution just enough to do one arm at a time. Use a toothpick to guide the liquid into tiny corners of the new shell. Be careful and do not let any of the solution spill on the outer shell since it'll stick forever.
Prevent Stress Cracks Guaranteed [finaly]

Reactions: Kima kim
Read the 1st post of this thread and you'll have an idea how it works and how to apply it. The OP has a picture as well. I poured it on the shell when it was still in liquid state since it was easier to spread it evenly. I mixed the solution just enough to do one arm at a time. Use a toothpick to guide the liquid into tiny corners of the new shell. Be careful and do not let any of the solution spill on the outer shell since it'll stick forever.
Prevent Stress Cracks Guaranteed [finaly]

Thank you, thank you!

i would be in a dilemna on either to appy Plast-aid as soon as I get back my P3A from the warranty repair or just wait until the 1-year warranty expires before actually reinforcing it with the Plast-aid???

Thank you, thank you!

i would be in a dilemna on either to appy Plast-aid as soon as I get back my P3A from the warranty repair or just wait until the 1-year warranty expires before actually reinforcing it with the Plast-aid???

I hear you; you have to make that decision yourself. The latter makes more sense since your P3A is fairly new.

Thank you to DJI.

An email to them took care of my warranty issues. They alerted their Authorized Repair Center in my country and coordinated to fix my Phantom. The shell was replaced for free...including shipping to and from.

:)

Reactions: mandalay
Thank you to DJI.

An email to them took care of my warranty issues. They alerted their Authorized Repair Center in my country and coordinated to fix my Phantom. The shell was replaced for free...including shipping to and from.

:)
Yep I'm very happy with their warranty with regard to shell replacement. It was quick and easy every time.

Reactions: Kima kim

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20