Stress cracks, HELP!

How long ago...and how is the Phantom doing?
6 months ago, Phantom still in air, no new cracking. Job took 1 hour to apply-assemble. 12 hours dry/cure. Cost $3.75 epoxy.

I hit send before I was finished....

The entire experience was absolutely incredible. I commend dji on the dedication to their customers and the quick turnaround.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
It is nice to hear that DJI has worked to improve their service to all the DJI pilots.
There were no stories like this a year ago.

It is nice to hear that DJI has worked to improve their service to all the DJI pilots.
There were no stories like this a year ago.
I, too, was very skeptical. I read so many threads on very long delays on service request and all of the "flaming hoops" that were associated with repairs and technical support. All of the process was completed online. Somewhere in the back of my mind I kept on thinking that it could not be this easy, there has got to be a catch or their will be a cost repairs. Literally, I logged onto the dji website, while I was in my car, minutes after I noticed the cracks, enter the details, uploaded 2 photos I took on my phone, hit submit and within an hour was sent a prepaid mailing label. I sent the bird back and 5 days later, on the day it was received at dji, I received an email that the bird was examined, the status of the repair and there was no cost for the repair. Less than two days later, it was shipped back to me. Truly amazing! I only hope I am the rule and not the exception.

Most likely it was another Phantom... they were ready.

Truth is, they started receiving certain letters stating the obvious court ready claims. I was one of them.

Merry Christmas to all!

Btw, emailed DJI re the stress cracks of my P3A and told me that it'll be covered by the warranty. They referred me to their local DJI Authorized Repair and Maintenance Service in our region. Repair would probably be done after the holidays. Btw, shipping to be shouldered by the local store where unit was purchased. :)

I'm just curious...how many of these cracks could be caused by props that are not completely balanced?

"Completely" meaning the blades and the hubs.

Did any of you guys with the cracks have completely balanced props?

I'm just curious...how many of these cracks could be caused by props that are not completely balanced?

Mine were balanced and still developed cracks.

How can you really tell as everyone's flight/crash history varies? I'm lucky in that my Mark 2 P3P shell so far shows no signs of any cracking, possibly helped by me having installed snap-on/off prop-guard mounts from new which I've left on and having balanced the props to the best of my ability - There's no visible shaking in flight as far as I can see anyway.. I also don't 'ramp' it in flight.

From what I've read here, some can balance their props and drive their drone sedately and get cracks a-plenty - or drive it hard all the time with no mods and get no ill-effects.

I don't think there's any firm rhyme or reason as to whether you get cracks or not, but like smoking and cancer, there's most likely to be some sort of correlation should a wider view/analysis be taken. I guess that's what you're trying to do but the replies on this thread are likely to be more limited than trawling existing information to get a personally perceived view.

Mine were balanced and still developed cracks.

Again, just curious. I have seen some people say they balanced their props, but never knew to balance the hubs too. You would think it would because the Huns are so close to the center of rotation, but an unbalanced hub can really rock the motor.

I cracked the mounts in my Blade 350 because I snugged up the mount screws a little too much. Now I just check to see if the mount screws are loose. Otherwise I leave them alone.

FWIW I have a P3P with original motors and body. I haven't had any issues with cracks, and yes my blades and hubs are balanced.

Again, just curious. I have seen some people say they balanced their props, but never knew to balance the hubs too. You would think it would because the Huns are so close to the center of rotation, but an unbalanced hub can really rock the motor.

I cracked the mounts in my Blade 350 because I snugged up the mount screws a little too much. Now I just check to see if the mount screws are loose. Otherwise I leave them alone.

FWIW I have a P3P with original motors and body. I haven't had any issues with cracks, and yes my blades and hubs are balanced.
Although I havn't got to it, hub rotors can be very unbalanced.

Reactions: OkiePhlyer
I, hopefully soon will procure a 6mm shaft with reverse threads (inner) to balance the motor rotors using my Du-Bro prop balancing tool. I saw this guy do it, but I cant find that part.

This method would be simpler perhaps:

I just think it's bullcrap dji ha at fixed these issues with the new motor release. I thought for sure that part of the reason they changed the design of how the new motors mount was cuz they knew it would prevent cracking.. Clearly that's not the case.. Ppl spend a lot of money on the phantom 3 specially the adv and pro model like I have.. You would think they coulda made a new she'll with a better Structure inside the end of the arms to prevent this, or woulda at least tested the original chassis with the new style motors before selling them again and having them yet again continue to crack and disappoint ppl.. Maybe they figure, "well if only 1 of 50 cracks, then that's good enough odds.." Shame on you dji. Other than the cracking I must say I am very impressed with the quads. But still there is no excuse why they couldn't have resolved this issue for their loyal customers..

The worst part is.. Since we now know there hasn't been any changes with the chassis design, once you send it in and they fix it "for free" supposedly.. What's to say it's not gonna just happen again.. And keep happening? So I guess if you want it done right you gotta do it yourself, which is prolly what I'll do if mine ever starts to crack. Cuz clearly nothing is gonna change with the shell design and the cracking is most likely gonna continue until the root of the problem is fixed from the factory or by your self.

In this case imo it's just easier to repair it yourself and KNOW it's gonna be a permanent fix for the rest of its life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric
Ps. Reguardless whether balancing props, shafts or whatever.. you shouldn't HAVE to do this to a piece of equipment you spend so much money on. It's too bad dji won't come up with a permanent fix for the p3 as far as the p4 and their other quads.. I think they made those ones right the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had mine sent to DJI as soon as i saw a tiny stress crack. After they returned it, a new shell looks and feels way different from the original one. I hope they changed the material plastic. So far no stress cracks. (knock on wood)

I had mine sent to DJI as soon as i saw a tiny stress crack. After they returned it, a new shell looks and feels way different from the original one. I hope they changed the material plastic. So far no stress cracks. (knock on wood)

Possibly, it was replaced with the newer and reinforced P3 shell.

Someone had posted in another forum a picture of 2 different P3 shells, the old and the new. The new one already comes with reinforcements in the inside beside the holes for the screws.

Btw, I also had another P3A that has gone more than 350kms...no signs of stress cracks whatsoever.

image.jpeg
Here's a pic of the 2 P3 shells (borrowed photo). Take note of the reinforcements. Any comments or anyone with actual experience?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik