Strange behaviour

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Currently on a 2 days short visit to the Scotish highlands right on Loch Lochy. Brought my Phantom with me for some pics but.......

Calibrated, found satellites all looks ok but on take off it went to the rear and flew into a bush, 2nd attempt it attempted to lift off but one side went straight into the ground.

I didn't try again after that because didn't want to risk it flying into the Loch which was 40ft from take off point and loosing it for ever.

Any ideas of the problem.

I did calibrate the controls before I came up here and I don't have access to a PC to try it.

As a side note I did attempt to install my tracker internal and take a feed off pins 1 & 2 on the naza and slipped with the multimeter, the drone did throw a wobbly, bleeped a few times so turned it off quick.

All looked ok at hone, didn't try a test flight so may have buggered something but gota wait till I get home.

Regards

Also when I flick S1 to start the calibration I don't get the quick flashed of the green lights?

Realist said:
Also when I flick S1 to start the calibration I don't get the quick flashed of the green lights?

you're flicking S1 more than once correct? it take's 5+ flicks to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop (sorry - american commercial joke) -

meaning the calibration trigger is more than 5 toggles of the S1.

Yep normally it starts to kick in after 6 flicks but some unknown reason nowt happened?

Here is the video from the crash where it went backwards and crashed then on the 2nd attempted went to one side, didn't try again after that.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kwXzsEJN-c[/youtube]

Realist said:

I did calibrate the controls before I came up here and I don't have access to a PC to try it.

As a side note I did attempt to install my tracker internal and take a feed off pins 1 & 2 on the naza and slipped with the multimeter, the drone did throw a wobbly, bleeped a few times so turned it off quick.

All looked ok at hone, didn't try a test flight so may have buggered something but gota wait till I get home.

Regards

I'm a little worried about the above and the fact that you aren't getting the right lights upon calibration.... it certainly sounds like you could be having a calibration issue - I don't know what kind of magnetic fields there are in that area...

unfortunately - since you aren't at home - the scientific method is a bit hosed because we have at least two variables to worry about.

1. the weird bleeping when you were installing the tracker and not knowing that your Phantom flew fine at home after that event
2. That you can't seem to calibrate where you are (again - not being able to compare that to home).

Maybe someone will see something in the video that tips it off

oh and well done on the song choice.... I just played with sound LOL

Realist (and Buckeye),
Some of us might be able to offer some ideas of your problem if we knew exactly what DJI product you are flying, what accessories it has, what modifications you've made, and its crash history. It would be helpful, too, if you would add your location to your profile.

Errr... those rocks you're taking off from... odds are good that some of them are ferrous. Which is bad. Especially if you calibrated your compass anywhere near them.

Replace damaged props, inspect for physical damage, carefully recalibrate your IMU and compass and take off from a non-ferrous surface. All will be well.

Realist said:
Hi guys,

Currently on a 2 days short visit to the Scotish highlands right on Loch Lochy. Brought my Phantom with me for some pics but.......

Calibrated, found satellites all looks ok but on take off it went to the rear and flew into a bush, 2nd attempt it attempted to lift off but one side went straight into the ground.

I didn't try again after that because didn't want to risk it flying into the Loch which was 40ft from take off point and loosing it for ever.

Any ideas of the problem.

Regards

Were pins 1 & 2 on the naza used to power your tacker? You may have damaged the naza when you slipped and that is what is causing your problems.

Ok its pitch black here in sunny Wales (night) but I've carried out the following as a test.

I've recalibrated the compass via DJI Phantom 2 Vision Assistant_3.4 software that came back all ok.
Went outdoors and flicked the S1 and this time the lights went yellow and the Phantom calibrated all ok but only found 5/6 satellites and kept flashing red/green.

Behind my house is a large patch of green so I went there for a clear line of sight and calibrated it all over again and this time it found 8 satellites and the lights flashed green, great :).

But...............

On take off the drone is still has more lift at the front (camera end) and the back (battery end) drops down so I gave it a bit of power on the throttle and up it went.

It levelled out ok, didn't drift to one side as it did a few days ago but hovered in a 6ft range not still so.........

I think because its heavier now with the extra mini iosd and a 2.4Ghz data link its effected the weight and its now causing a lift issue.

Any ideas?

And thanks all :) great help so far.

Brian

Point taken about the rocks, video of tonight's test.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qwzf8YNSps[/youtube]

Lens was dirty from the grass but its struggling to lift off and tilting towards the battery end hence I had to give it full power to get it airborne.

Great Pumpkin said:
Realist (and Buckeye),
Some of us might be able to offer some ideas of your problem if we knew exactly what DJI product you are flying, what accessories it has, what modifications you've made, and its crash history. It would be helpful, too, if you would add your location to your profile.

I do have the product I'm flying in my profile :) Also - since this was in the Phantom 2 - non-vision forum - I was assuming that is what product realist was flying...

Its the Phantom 2 - non-vision

Realist said:
Lens was dirty from the grass but its struggling to lift off and tilting towards the battery end hence I had to give it full power to get it airborne.

in general you really want to goose it on takeoff anyway - once it got in the air, it looked pretty steady (from what I could see in the dark).... were you having to do a lot of controller input to keep it steady in the air? or was it that steady with little/no input?

It needed a bit of a wheelie to get it off the ground but as above it tilts to the battery end like its not lifting off the ground evenly.

Once its airborne its moves about a bit, will do another better test tomorrow when its light.

Thanks guys you have all been a great help much appreciated.

I do have the product I'm flying in my profile :) Also - since this was in the Phantom 2 - non-vision forum - I was assuming that is what product realist was flying...[/quote said:
Sorry, Buckeye, the request for product information was directed to Realist. I usually enter the forum via Active Topics and don't always pay attention to the particular subforum. My comment about adding location was directed to both of you. I might be able to give more informed opinion about some kinds of problems, such as magnetic field and compass calibration, if I knew where the OP is located.
I will add for everyone on this thread in general that I doubt very much if the OP's rocks are especially ferrous. It is possible, however, that that landscaping gravel overlies a big steel pipe - or, God forbid, a big manhole cover. I took off from a manhole cover once when I was a newbie, and my Phantom behaved just the same as Realist's. Fortunately it recovered before going into a tree, and since then, I don't take off from manhole covers.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT