Strange Battery behavior.

Reaction score
I have the V2 and was flying today when I got the low battery warning at about 69% at about 8 minutes. I brought it in for a landing and watched as the motors spun down. I figured I'd let it idle a bit and watch the power since the warning stopped (assuming because it wasn't under power). The motors then began speeding up again on their own. They then spun up to speed quickly and the copter tipped over. I immediately killed the motors and set it back to normal. I wanted to see if it would happen again and started the motors idling. The copter continued to idle so I lifted off and let it hover about 6 feet up. After about 30 seconds, the low volt warning returned and it began to descend on it's own. I took control and landed easily and again the voltage warning cancelled. I lifted off for hover with the same result. I could not get it to repeat the strange behavior again. The battery has about 16 cycles on it and shows 95% life, but I'm not getting that out of it. Is this a bad battery possibly or am I missing something more important? My second battery, with only 4 cycles, functions with no issues. Any comments would be appreciated.

I have had identical problems. The first time time it happened, I almot lost the thing in the lake. My second battery with same age and cycles has no such issues. Has a cause been determined yet?

I've had some weird things going on ever since the last firmware update. I've had a warning pop up saying I don't have enough battery to make it "home" when it was at 75%. Had all the led's turn red and give me an imu error but no erratic behavior. I've calibrated, reset, etc.... Still happens now and then. Sometimes just pulling the battery and reseating it fixes the problem. My thought is it's a firmware issue but at least I'm not alone.
Going to try to roll back the firmware and see what happens I guess.

The motors then began speeding up again on their own. They then spun up to speed quickly and the copter tipped over.

This part of the issue is normal behaviour.. idling the phantom on the ground will nearly always cause a tip over. The GPS is not that accurate and it wanders about (accuracy of a meter or so), but being on the ground the legs get caught and a tip over is the result.

The battery issue.. what was the ambient temperature? This has a large bearing on the available capacity.

Also, how do you store your batteries? Full or half charge?

I've had some weird things going on ever since the last firmware update. I've had a warning pop up saying I don't have enough battery to make it "home" when it was at 75%. Had all the led's turn red and give me an imu error but no erratic behavior. I've calibrated, reset, etc.... Still happens now and then. Sometimes just pulling the battery and reseating it fixes the problem. My thought is it's a firmware issue but at least I'm not alone.
Going to try to roll back the firmware and see what happens I guess.

You are describing my experience exactly, it works but battery messages etc. I just the love the one that says "not enough battery to return home" at about 75%. How about they make a small change and say "1 minute till not enough battery...." telling me i cant get home, AFTER I cant get home is a bit late!
I think it is the 3.12 as well

has anyone noticed how many experienced long time users have lost/crashed their phantoms recently? more or less points to the quad hardware or firmware vs operator for most part on those.

BTW I tried to go back tp .08 and could not , if you do post how

This part of the issue is normal behaviour.. idling the phantom on the ground will nearly always cause a tip over. The GPS is not that accurate and it wanders about (accuracy of a meter or so), but being on the ground the legs get caught and a tip over is the result.

The battery issue.. what was the ambient temperature? This has a large bearing on the available capacity.

Also, how do you store your batteries? Full or half charge?

Temps outside were around 55-60. I store them at about 50-60% depending on where they are when I run them down.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31