Stock P2V 2.7 KM (8,850') Long Range Test

Re: Stock P2V 2.27 KM (7,500 Ft) & 1.7 KM (5,600 Ft) Range T

dave21 said:
gfredrone said:
mr_3_0_5 said:
Here's a link to the guy from rc groups that make antennas if any of you are interested he came highly recommended by ibcrazy
http://www.fpvlr.com/store/
He will make them left and right handed

Here is my email to them.

I need a 2.4 GHz Helical (LHCP) antenna to upgrade the FPV wifi range extender that connects to the Phantom 2 Vision's truncated corner microstrip patch antenna in the camera. I'm looking for the smallest package possible with a 9dBi minimum. What do you suggest and how long will it take to have one ready.

I like this one but it doesn't say if it's LHCP. http://www.fpvlr.com/store/dettaglio_ar ... rticolo=17

I like the size of this one but it's 5.8 Ghz and not the required 2.4 Ghz. Is it possible to make this one a 2.4 Ghz LHCP? http://www.fpvlr.com/store/dettaglio_ar ... rticolo=26

Thank you!

I am in for the smaller one. It seems left hand on the photo. If he makes 2.4 ghz that would be cool. I think the white one is too big. I searched the whole internet and there are realy few ones which are much bigger compare to this one.

The white one is 20 cm long

Re: Stock P2V 2.27 KM (7,500 Ft) & 1.7 KM (5,600 Ft) Range T

mr_3_0_5 said:

Thanks a lot for sharing the link of FPVLR.COM. This is my first time to see Parsitic Disk Helix being used for FPV. I usually see it for satellite and long range wireless bridge, though the theory is about the same.

Re: Stock P2V 2.27 KM (7,500') & 1.7 KM (5,600') Range Test

No problem just trying to figure out the most compact furthest flying set up
I'd really like to put a parasitic disk on the repeater and see what it can do
He has told me he is thinking about making a half dome style just for the dji so I'm waiting to see what that looks like

His stuff looks good, and no crazy claims, just well executed standard designs by the look of it.

There are some iffy antennas around -- I was looking at one maker's site earlier, has lots of technical info which is mostly wrong! Worrying!

antennaman said:
His stuff looks good, and no crazy claims, just well executed standard designs by the look of it.

There are some iffy antennas around -- I was looking at one maker's site earlier, has lots of technical info which is mostly wrong! Worrying!

Can you be more specific which maker's site "has lots of technical info which is mostly wrong"?

I understand most of these makers are probably one-man band offering hand-made products. We don't expect very detailed antenna specification, though basic information (such as gain, beamwidth, VSWR, etc.) should be provided on their web sites. We (most of P2V flyers) don't have equipment and cannot afford RF laboratory to test antennas. We rely on the specification provided by makers.

I have been struggling by the 2.3 KM limit of 5.8G control link. I'm planning to make a minor mod of 5.8G transmitter to overcome the current limit. However, I am not a fan of adding booster to the transmitter. I believe FCC mode 125mW should be strong enough to get P2V 4-5 KM range.

PVFlyer said:
I have been struggling by the 2.3 KM limit of 5.8G control link. I'm planning to make a minor mod of 5.8G transmitter to overcome the current limit. However, I am not a fan of adding booster to the transmitter. I believe FCC mode 125mW should be strong enough to get P2V 4-5 KM range.

In principle I agree, 125mw should be strong enough for 4-5km. Using an RF Power Meter, my TX is currently testing out at 79mw. Even with 79mw (and an 11bd patch) I managed 3.89km, but I too am struggling to go beyond that. Point being, there is a fair chance that your TX is in fact not putting out 125mw (even in FCC mode).

hello all from Horizon FPV Antennas UK

Hello all ,

This is William from the UK, the designer of the Horizon FPV antenna range , ALL the antennas are designed by myself.
We also take them out in the field to test them, if you look at this channel you can see a lot of information regrading the antennas and other FPV related topics,

here is the channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/FPVtests

also there will be a Pro channel up as we speak ( no adverts ! ) at ( not my photo ! )

https://vimeo.com/fpvtests
this new channel is run by donations , so please help keep it running if you can.

feel free to ask anything , i am and RF engineer of over 40 years so know what its all about.

Will

Re: hello all from Horizon FPV Antennas UK

Pcdeveloper2014 said:
Hello all ,

This is William from the UK, the designer of the Horizon FPV antenna range , ALL the antennas are designed by myself.
We also take them out in the field to test them, if you look at this channel you can see a lot of information regrading the antennas and other FPV related topics,

here is the channel.

also there will be a Pro channel up as we speak ( no adverts ! ) at ( not my photo ! )

this new channel is run by donations , so please help keep it running if you can.

feel free to ask anything , i am and RF engineer of over 40 years so know what its all about.

Will

Do you currently have a 2.4 GHz antenna to extend the wifi range of the FPV. I want something of minimal size that will attach to the bar next to the range extender or the range extender itself. I also don't want to have to make any modifications to the antennas in the camera. I'm not looking to set records but I do want to be able to go out, at minimum, where the 5.8 GHz stock controller reaches. Thank you for any help.

Pcdeveloper2014 said:
Hello all ,

here is the channel.

Will

Hello Will, I'm so glad to see a RF engineer joining this P2V forum. Your RF expertise will definitely benefit all our long range flyers.

I'm probably the first one (in this forum) figured out P2V camera antenna is with LHCP, which is single feed truncated corner microstrip patch. The patch is around 3x3 cm (guess 1/4 wavelength of 2.4G). I home made a pair of LHCP helical (without impedance matching guess it's about 140-150 ohm, and with poor SWR) to test the range several weeks ago. The result was not bad at all flying 2.3 KM range, until 5.8G control link dropped out while 2.4G FPV video was still fine. I will add a wavetrap for matching 50 ohm impedance shortly.

The result creates some interest of the forum members, who are willing to fly longer range with stable video. I believe some flyers approaching Horizon FPV Antennas for LHCP helical, in order to match the antenna on P2V camera.

I guess (purely guess) the patch is about 1-2 dBi with semi-sphere pattern, and 2 patches (facing left & right) form a pretty good sphere with 180 degree phasing.

My first question: Can you estimate the gain and RF pattern of such microstrip patch? Or even test the patch as you have the equipment to do that.

mr_3_0_5 said:
This guy also makes nice 5.8 antennas
you guys think it's an antenna issue or power issue ?

5.8G helical (regardless LHCP or RHCP) would not match 5.8G vertical polarized (linear) antenna on the aircraft. It would drop 3dB signal strength on such mismatching, which means losing 50% power and shortening 30% range unless I mod the 5.8G antenna on the aircraft to CL or SPW to match it. For 5.8G control link, I don't see a good reason to go for circular polarization for the time being.

+1 to PVFlyer

Just tell me what I need that will match the antenna in the camera and will allow me to reach out to where the controller reaches. Then take my money! :lol:

My requirements are the most compact design possible in a featherweight package. Optimally I'd like to attach it directly to the range extender like some have done with a linear omni although have the ability to point it in the direction of the P2V.

Will this work?
http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce ... y-version/

The only negative I see on the one in the link is the base looks heavy and cumbersome for my application/requirement.

gfredrone said:
+1 to PVFlyer

Just tell me what I need that will match the antenna in the camera and will allow me to reach out to where the controller reaches. Then take my money! :lol:

My requirements are the most compact design possible in a featherweight package. Optimally I'd like to attach it directly to the range extender like some have done with a linear omni although have the ability to point it in the direction of the P2V.

Will this work?

The only negative I see on the one in the link is the base looks heavy and cumbersome for my application/requirement.

I thought you made up your mind and ordered a helical from your previous posts, didn't you? It should not be any problem to mount a helical on TX handle (my suggestion) instead of covering the stock repeater. You could then keep one of stock antenna covering wider angle.

What's your specific requirement BTW?

PVFlyer said:
mr_3_0_5 said:
This guy also makes nice 5.8 antennas
you guys think it's an antenna issue or power issue ?

5.8G helical (regardless LHCP or RHCP) would not match 5.8G vertical polarized (linear) antenna on the aircraft. It would drop 3dB signal strength on such mismatching, which means losing 50% power and shortening 30% range unless I mod the 5.8G antenna on the aircraft to CL or SPW to match it. For 5.8G control link, I don't see a good reason to go for circular polarization for the time being.

This can be changed at both ends if the link, we have an antenna called the BLACKHaWK Micro it 9db on 5.8 GHz
is just 1 ounce and with a Very light SP ( we have designed one ( around 7 grams) this will go on the Phantom 2.
see
http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce ... -dbi-lhcp/

this is the LHCP or can be RHCP in the set.

There is now a gatagory list for the Phantom 2 on the store so keep an eye there as we produce kits specific to the Phantom 2
http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce.com/phantom-2/

there will also be a Blackhawk Micro for 2.4 same spec but very light.

PVFlyer said:
gfredrone said:
+1 to PVFlyer

Will this work?

I thought you made up your mind and ordered a helical from your previous posts, didn't you? It should not be any problem to mount a helical on TX handle (my suggestion) instead of covering the stock repeater. You could then keep one of stock antenna covering wider angle.

What's your specific requirement BTW?

The fpvlr guy never responded to my emails. Looks like Pcdeveloper2014 is working on what I want (a very light 2.4 Blackhawk Micro)

"There is now a gatagory list for the Phantom 2 on the store so keep an eye there as we produce kits specific to the Phantom 2

there will also be a Blackhawk Micro for 2.4 same spec but very light."

PVFlyer said:
Pcdeveloper2014 said:
Hello all ,

Hello Will, I'm so glad to see a RF engineer joining this P2V forum. Your RF expertise will definitely benefit all our long range flyers.

I'm probably the first one (in this forum) figured out P2V camera antenna is with LHCP, which is single feed truncated corner microstrip patch. The patch is around 3x3 cm (guess 1/4 wavelength of 2.4G). I home made a pair of LHCP helical (without impedance matching guess it's about 140-150 ohm, and with poor SWR) to test the range several weeks ago. The result was not bad at all flying 2.3 KM range, until 5.8G control link dropped out while 2.4G FPV video was still fine. I will add a wavetrap for matching 50 ohm impedance shortly.

The result creates some interest of the forum members, who are willing to fly longer range with stable video. I believe some flyers approaching Horizon FPV Antennas for LHCP helical, in order to match the antenna on P2V camera.

I guess (purely guess) the patch is about 1-2 dBi with semi-sphere pattern, and 2 patches (facing left & right) form a pretty good sphere with 180 degree phasing.

My first question: Can you estimate the gain and RF pattern of such microstrip patch? Or even test the patch as you have the equipment to do that.

Hi again , well lookig through some of the posts people are putting all sort of kit to the PV2 to get more range,

I have a Large Hexa I build and it can carry a Kilo of payload like a full size camera digital camera like the Canon Mk3.
this is can do with easy, and fly for 30 mins at least. The PV2 for what it is , is a nice bit of kit and only meant to fly a limited range, being the 5.8GHz is only relatively low power like 25, or 126 Mw , with these power levels that is your weakest link as the path loss is grater at 5.8 GHz. So the first thing you should do is improve the 5.8 GHz link not the 2.4 GHz, putting a beam antenna on the RC controller would be the best way without touching the UAV itself. Even if we pump up the gains and use all sorts of tricks , the limit is still the battery power as you have to fly back. Having a better power link would improve flying behind obstacles however rather than distance

If i had one here , I would see if i could remove the weakest link and put UHF as the RC control , then you could fly to the Horizon and then the dropout would be the Video return. Then we are at the other problem , the battery power !!..

I will be putting some special antennas together for this little UAv on the store , see this link , these will be SUPER LIGHT.
with a uav this small we need to conserve every gram !

keep an eye out for some stuff .

Ps sorry if your expecting a reply to a PM to me as the forum will not allow me to send a PM yet!
but you can contact me via the link above.

Best William UK

Pcdeveloper2014 said:
PVFlyer said:
Pcdeveloper2014 said:
Hello all ,

Hi again , well lookig through some of the posts people are putting all sort of kit to the PV2 to get more range,

I have a Large Hexa I build and it can carry a Kilo of payload like a full size camera digital camera like the Canon Mk3.
this is can do with easy, and fly for 30 mins at least. The PV2 for what it is , is a nice bit of kit and only meant to fly a limited range, being the 5.8GHz is only relatively low power like 25, or 126 Mw , with these power levels that is your weakest link as the path loss is grater at 5.8 GHz. So the first thing you should do is improve the 5.8 GHz link not the 2.4 GHz, putting a beam antenna on the RC controller would be the best way without touching the UAV itself. Even if we pump up the gains and use all sorts of tricks , the limit is still the battery power as you have to fly back. Having a better power link would improve flying behind obstacles however rather than distance

If i had one here , I would see if i could remove the weakest link and put UHF as the RC control , then you could fly to the Horizon and then the dropout would be the Video return. Then we are at the other problem , the battery power !!..

I will be putting some special antennas together for this little UAv on the store , see this link , these will be SUPER LIGHT.
with a uav this small we need to conserve every gram !

keep an eye out for some stuff .

Ps sorry if your expecting a reply to a PM to me as the forum will not allow me to send a PM yet!
but you can contact me via the link above.

Best William UK

Thanks a lot William for the feedback. I prefer you posting to the thread and share your expertise to all members, instead of PM me. I tried to reply some PMs previously, but it stuck in Outbox and I'm unsure whether it sent through or not.

I agree with you the weakest link is on 5.8G TX for my current setup. DJI claims 5.8G TX has 125mW in FCC mode, which I think it's good enough to get the control link up to 4-5 KM range. Another member "themosttoys" managed to get 3.9 KM on 5.8G TX with a 11 dBi patch (probably the same as my 5.8G patch). The 5.8G link should only use a very tiny bandwidth passing the control signal as long as it can reach P2V. I suspect my 5.8G TX may not have 125mW output, as other member measured 79mW only sometimes. I plan to change a stacked microstrip patch on 5.8G and stabilize the TX input power with Lipo battery instead of AA alkaline battery. Otherwise, adding a 1W or so 5.8G booster to TX is the simplest way to resolve it, but I'm not a fan of adding booster especially such boosted 5.8G is so nearby and no good to my body, unless absolutely necessary.

I also agree the ultimate range limit "is still the battery power" of this little UAV. Per my brief estimation, P2V battery power can safely fly about 6 KM range (12 KM round trip) at full speed in good weather, not too windy.

My goal is to push stock P2V to its "range" limit (not interested in altitude), and avoid adding a single gram to it.

Glad to see you have a new category for Phantom 2. Hope to see more stuff in that category soon. It might bring you some new business, while many P2V flyers in this forum are eager to get more range with all sort of mods.

Pcdeveloper2014 said:
Hello all ,

here is the channel.

Will

Hi Will, its great to see you here ;) I run your antennas on my FPV power glider setup.. I'm using the blackhawk plus on a myflydream tracker with skew diversity.. I've pushed to 6km with Q4 my nerves run out at this point... Your antennas are great thank you ;)

updates to horizon Phantom 2 kits

Hi again , no problem I can see what your up against using such low powers , My suggestion it to let the antenna do the work for you and try not to introduce and RF amps if you can , less interference also to other user and your health "

Well it had to happen I have now designed a set of antenna s( For both ends of the link) especially for the phantom 2.
I designed a very successful Blackhawk Micro ( just 1 Gram 5.8 GHz 9db LHCP ) and have had this working at over 4km ,

So what i have done now is introduce the 2.4 GHz version and also make it super light....

see the link here as it so hot off the press it was only put up an hour ago .

looking at the power on the transmitters with 25 mW we have to introduce some serious gain , recently i got 25 Mw to go 4.6 km using the blackhawk antennas, We are doing a project ( Live event on the BBC ) here that will fly a UAV from the British mainland to an island off shore , around 7.4 km distance , using just the legal power in the UK of 25 mW, see this link for infos on the project, Also using reverse antenna tracking devise by me ( GW4LWD) naturally we will be using Horizon FPV antennas ! see :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eRsHCF7Aw8

here is a link to the phantom 2 vision updates....

William
HFPV UK

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20