Just joined the 3 km club! ;-)

Reaction score
Today I wanted to see if I could push beyond my previous personal record of 2.6 km over water using stock RC Tx. I had read postings by some folks who have gone beyond this distance so I wanted to see if my setup could do it. I set my sights on oil platform "Eva" off the coast of Huntington Beach, CA, approximately 3.55 km from my start point. Since I was worried about battery power I used ATT mode for the flight.

Bottom line: I made it 3046 meters before I started getting nervous -- 54% battery left and my FPV monitor was beginning to snow and cutout. I really wanted to make it to Eva (another 500 m) but I didn't want to push my luck. It turned out that I had plenty of battery power left. The headwinds limited my outbound flight speed to about 7.5 m/s (~17 mph) but on the way back the P2 was traveling at 25 m/s (56 mph)! So I got back with about 35% battery left.

I'm thinking that one reason I'm able to get good range is that my Tx antenna is behind my monitor and perhaps the back of the monitor acts like a reflector and sends more signal out toward the P2 (like an unfocused windsurfer antenna). Could this be possible?

Overview of flight area:
emmy_eva_soap.jpg

Pic or it didn't happen:
3km.jpg

FWIW, my FPV setup is below:

• Boscam 5.8G 400mW AV Transmitter Module TS353 ($47)
http://www.banggood.com/FPV-5_8G-400mW- ... 73439.html

• Boscam RX LCD 5802 5.8GHz LCD Diversity Receiver 7 Inch Monitor ($160)
http://www.banggood.com/Boscam-RX-LCD58 ... 08273.html

• DJI iOSD mini Module Naza-M Compatible ($73)
http://www.banggood.com/DJI-IOSD-Mini-M ... 08007.html

• 5.8G FPVLR Bundle (fpv-31B) includes RX clover, Rx helical, and TX clover antennas ($110)
http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... duct_id=97

• FPV Monitor Holder Display Support Folding Carbon Fiber ($11)
http://www.banggood.com/FPV-Monitor-Hol ... 88156.html

How did you get 2.6 km with only stock equipment?

I have the Vision+ and my FPV would start freezing up around 1000 ft (remote area free of WiFi interference). I got the Stage 1 Kit at FPVLR.com and coupled with the WiFi booster app now I can get reliable FPV out to 3,000 feet or so.

I must have one of those crappy WiFi extenders that I've been hearing about :(

MadMitch88 said:
How did you get 2.6 km with only stock equipment?

I have the Vision+ and my FPV would start freezing up around 1000 ft (remote area free of WiFi interference). I got the Stage 1 Kit at FPVLR.com and coupled with the WiFi booster app now I can get reliable FPV out to 3,000 feet or so.

I must have one of those crappy WiFi extenders that I've been hearing about :(

Remember that the P2 uses 2.4GHz for its control signal, which gives it significantly longer range than the 5.8G of the Vision+, and a decent video transmitter on the P2 has way, way longer range than the WiFi-based FPV of the V+. Also, the fact that it's an analogue video signal has benefits for long-range reception compared to the digital signal of the V+, in that when you're approaching the limit of reception you see whatever remains of the picture, through static, while a digital signal will just freeze when it gets dropouts.

There are very good reasons why so many of us prefer the old P2 to the V+ :).

HarryT said:
Remember that the P2 uses 2.4GHz for its control signal, which gives it significantly longer range than the 5.8G of the Vision+, and a decent video transmitter on the P2 has way, way longer range than the WiFi-based FPV of the V+. Also, the fact that it's an analogue video signal has benefits for long-range reception compared to the digital signal of the V+, in that when you're approaching the limit of reception you see whatever remains of the picture, through static, while a digital signal will just freeze when it gets dropouts.

There are very good reasons why so many of us prefer the old P2 to the V+ :).

Ahhhh, that clarifies things --- you analog boys still got some advantages over us purely digital dudes ;)

MadMitch88 said:
Ahhhh, that clarifies things --- you analog boys still got some advantages over us purely digital dudes ;)
Interesting.

Wow, didn't know that was possible! And still an image on your screen.
*thinking of buying this FPV set :)*

if your brave enough you can get a little further if yu fly in manual mode. i got out about 4.2 miles and made it back but it was close. i was on 1.3vtx and had a windsurfer mod which is like what you said a reflector for stock tx. practice in manual mode before trying to fly out that far. your crazy doing it over water i was in the dessert down in palm springs.

hjscm said:
if your brave enough you can get a little further if yu fly in manual mode. i got out about 4.2 miles and made it back but it was close. i was on 1.3vtx and had a windsurfer mod which is like what you said a reflector for stock tx. practice in manual mode before trying to fly out that far. your crazy doing it over water i was in the dessert down in palm springs.

4.2 miles is pretty incredible! I'm not ready for Manual mode. Still getting used to ATTI mode. Manual mode may be too risky for me since I like flying over water.

I went back today to try to reach Eva and this time I hit the FS at about 2.4 km. Not sure why. Perhaps it was because I was flying lower. I'll try again at a higher altitude. Too bad I can't configure my setup with a windsurfer since my diversity monitor is directly in front of the Tx aerial. Not enough room.

I have done 3000ft + with my p2v but I have 2, 11db antenna for the wifi and 1, 15db for the tx. when it was stock best I ever got was 1600ft

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4