Stick setup for transitioning back and forth

Reaction score
Hello All!

Need some assistance for best stick configuration to go from flying my planes to my Phantom. I'm new to the drone world and wanted to learn correctly to transition back and forth. Anyone out there currently doing this and have some input.
Current plane controller setup:
Left stick - (speed and rudder) Right stick - (ailerons and elevator).

As a private pilot it is a learning curve to push left stick forward to rise. Feels backwards but will become normal with practice. Did for me, and many others here. You can switch the sides but not the stick commands. Forward is up, opposite plane controls. Recommend you stay with mode 2 that nearly all use. And practice, a lot

Are you talking RC planes? May have misunderstood setup. If so, others may have different recommendations.

Hello All!

Need some assistance for best stick configuration to go from flying my planes to my Phantom. I'm new to the drone world and wanted to learn correctly to transition back and forth. Anyone out there currently doing this and have some input.
Current plane controller setup:
Left stick - (speed and rudder) Right stick - (ailerons and elevator).
I concur with @Starz and @Capt KO of using Mode 2 where left stick is thrust/yaw and right stick is pitch/roll.

The big difference is that altitude is controlled by the thrust which equates to the collective on a helicopter (collective up adds altitude). Yaw is left stick right/left which equates to the rudder pedals. The right stick forward pitches the nose down allowing thrust to pull the aircraft forward and the opposite for stick aft. The right stick left and right banks that direction allowing lateral movement.

I would suggest practicing turns along a road and figure eights using right stick for speed and left stick for the turns. You will find right stick left and right more useful for cinematic dolly cam than for actual flight control.

Have fun! You’ll catch on quickly.

Also you might consider getting a toy drone to practice with first. Much cheaper to crash and burn, but more resilient if you do.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31