Stealth Drone Propellers

If you understand how the headphones work you’d see how it’s not practical in free-space.

If you understand how the headphones work you’d see how it’s not practical in free-space.
I used that as an example of someone thinking out of the box to solve a noise problem. Sorry if I insulted your intelligence.

True. However it dates back to the 1930s.

Reactions: ravedog
Here’s a prop to copy for noise reduction
IMG_0063.jpg

It’s kind of funny how this thread continues 7 months after it was started. Yet the OP who claimed this and that about new magic props bla bla bla, only posted twice ever. Both times at the top of this thread. Then nothing.
Perhaps the OP already has the contacts he needs now and believes that yapping here is a waste of his valuable time.

Maybe nothing will ever come of this. But less-annoying prop noise would not be a terrible thing.

Meanwhile, everyone reports that balancing helps a bunch...

The quieter props and lower pitch are the main reason I want to get a Mavic Pro Platinum. A quieter and less annoying sound attracts less attention. Less attention means less chance to get harassed. I'm hoping DJI's new drone will come out soon, reducing the price of the Platinum.

The Phantom 2.0 was pictured with quiet (Mavic style) props, if the picture was real. We will find out at some trade show where DJI is listed as a displayer, or something about April 11, 2018.

I wonder how hard it would be to make custom props with a 3D printer. A problem is the requirement for mechanical strength for the props - can 3D printed materials achieve this strength? I'd love to play around with prop design.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Interesting concept. It ‘may’ work in design, but may be too rigid to stand the rpm’s and stress levels like stock props do. The standard DJI plastic props although being strong, have a degree of flex allowed in the material that may absorb stress levels of rapidly changing rpm’s. Don’t know if 3d printed ones could handle it. Plus, designing the center hubs would be a challenge.

Give it a try and see what happens. I think we’d all be curious of the outcome. [emoji106]

My suggestion would be to use the 3D printed prop to make a mold.
Then mold the props from suitable material.
All sounds very interesting. I may have to defer my personal exploration of prop design for just a few years, as I'm getting close to retirement, and I'd like to be able to spend serious time and effort on this, which just isn't feasible now.

All sounds very interesting. I may have to defer my personal exploration of prop design for just a few years, as I'm getting close to retirement, and I'd like to be able to spend serious time and effort on this, which just isn't feasible now.
Ah! The Holy Grail! Feels good to be in sight of the home plate doesn't it?

Reactions: MassDrone
View attachment 86698 Example of stealth helicopter blades

Hahaha I posted the stealth helicopter blades picture back in august 2017
(Page 2) and I was so right that DJI copy my idea with the new mavic platinum ;-) .. Its easier to copy those that had already a spend a few millions in lab time...

Last edited:
I would imagine that a more rigid blade would be more silent when operated. However the weight need to be equal or lower than stock plastic blades. I would try to make one set in different materials and check the result. Maybe add vortex generators on the suction side :D
I like where you are going with this, let's see if I can add usefull input into the design research phase.
I live in Oklahoma. Some people here love the drones some fear that they will be caught doing something illegal by a drone, claiming privacy issues. They even think a drone can pickup your voice and hear what's going on over the sound of the blades. As any drone operator with video abilities we all laugh at that fear.
While studying hydrdynamics we found the divits of a golf ball greatly reduced the drag coefficient of the object and thus reduced it's acoustic signature while increasing the efficiency of the motor thus reducing the fuel burn rate.

We did not study this on a small near micro scale such as would be for drone prop. But thinking of how much louder the carbon fiber blades are on a P4, my thought would be for a hybrid ABS solid core with surface nano-divits ( Orange Peel effect).
Just food for thought.

Last edited:
You can find info about this by a web search. This may save you some efforts.

Hi All -

My colleague and I are developing new rotors for drones to significantly quiet the noise coming from the drones we love to fly. He is a nautical engineer who develops propulsion units for high end ships and I am a plastics engineer who knows all sorts of manufacturing techniques for low and mass production.

I am looking for pro-sumer operators of DJI drones in the Southeast Massachusetts area to test fly our creations. This will involve both inside (sound box) flying as well as "real world" flying. Compensation will only be the state minimum hourly wages, plus unlimited stealth props for your drone. Perhaps food and an adult beverage can be provided.

Not sure the best way to contact me on this forum... I leave that to your creativity.

I will be in Boston on October 22nd thru the 25th....I have something quite significant to your field of research and can contribute my ideas to your project

Reactions: Sixgun89

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z