State Farm insurance

Reaction score
I was looking at State Farm as mentioned in the Forum by serval people for my drone insurance. I was wondering if anyone has had to use them to get their drone replaced due to a fly away, crash, etc... and how was the experience in dealing with their claim adjuster.

Reactions: thegeekunderground
I insured my P3P with them and after a crash submitted a claim. Very straightforward. No problems or hesitancy at all. Received a check for $1200 or so shortly thereafter. Insured the next one with them, and after that one crashed several months later I was prepared to submit another claim. I was told that it would also be paid, but that then they would likely cancel my homeowners policy, with which I have cameras and computers listed like the drone. I guess you can't blame them for not wanting to insure expensive items for only about a $60 premium that are likely to crash on a regular basis. I would guess that eventually their claims department would realize drones can be risky to insure. I recommend them.

Reactions: Daasmangi
I haven't had to file any claims, but got $8400 worth of coverage for $75 / year.
This covers a Mavic Air, P4P+, Inspire 1 with a Z3 and X5, GPC Cases and a CrystalSky.
Pretty reasonable, I think.

If your drone is covered under an existing State Farm homeowners policy then, yes, claims you submit for the drone can impact your home owners policy. The way to avoid that is to have a stand-alone State Farm personal articles policy (PAP) for the drone that is NOT linked to any home owners policy. The average cost is around $75/year (no deductible) and covers the drone and accessories against loss and damage.

If your drone is covered under an existing State Farm homeowners policy then, yes, claims you submit for the drone can impact your home owners policy. The way to avoid that is to have a stand-alone State Farm personal articles policy (PAP) for the drone that is NOT linked to any home owners policy. The average cost is around $75/year (no deductible) and covers the drone and accessories against loss and damage.
What a GREAT IDEA......Thank You..."Running" and thats what i'm going to do.

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
I also have the State Farm personal articles policy (PAP) for the drone but if I hadn't had auto insurance with them they would not have issued the articles policy. A friend called my agent and tried to get a policy without having a auto or homeowners policy and they refused him. Mine is also $75 per year with no deductible and covers the drone, controller and (1) battery. I'm sure all know these type policies do NOT cover any damage you might cause to property or persons.

A friend called my agent and tried to get a policy without having a auto or homeowners policy and they refused him. Mine is also $75 per year with no deductible and covers the drone, controller and (1) battery. I'm sure all know these type policies do NOT cover any damage you might cause to property or persons.

Sorry to hear that you couldn't get a PAP with State Farm without having an existing policy of some type. I don't know who sets that policy but, there have been reports of that happening. Many pilots on this site, including myself, DO have stand-alone State Farm PAP coverage for our Phantom's without any existing policy. The only policy I have with State Farm is a PAP for my P3S (soon too include my P4). All of my other coverage is with different companies.The only thing my S-F agent said was, "Let''s do this" after he learned that they do insure drones. My cost was $75/year. You are correct, there is no liabity coverage included at that price. Of course, I knew that going into it.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I also have the State Farm personal articles policy (PAP) for the drone but if I hadn't had auto insurance with them they would not have issued the articles policy. A friend called my agent and tried to get a policy without having a auto or homeowners policy and they refused him. Mine is also $75 per year with no deductible and covers the drone, controller and (1) battery. I'm sure all know these type policies do NOT cover any damage you might cause to property or persons.

Hey Chris, what state are you in? I have a stand alone policy with State Farm for my drone, while my auto and home insurance is with Allstate. They didn't make any remarks about requiring an existing policy with them. It is $60 a year and covers the DJI F550 for 100% of replacement cost with no deductible. I wonder if their guidelines vary from state to state?

I do not have State Farm for anything but my PAP in Arizona. The agent asked me to consider switching to State Farm for my auto and homeowners but that was it. He said it is not a requirement to have a PAP.

Reactions: Hounddog
I do not have State Farm for anything but my PAP in Arizona. The agent asked me to consider switching to State Farm for my auto and homeowners but that was it. He said it is not a requirement to have a PAP

Same here. My agent and I discussed switching my auto and homeowners coverage to State Farm, and I even had him quote me coverage, but that's as far as the discussion went. Their pricing was fairly agressive, and I may end up switching for better service, but PAP coverage for the Phantom is all I have with State Farm right now.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I'm curious as to how you guys obtained State Farm Insurance? I was told by a local agent as well as the underwriter that I could not get State Farm Insurance for my drone

I'm curious as to how you guys obtained State Farm Insurance? I was told by a local agent as well as the underwriter that I could not get State Farm Insurance for my drone

Sorry to hear that you were told S-F wouldn't insure your drone, but there have been some reports by others here that they to received the same response as you, so I fully believe you. I don't know if that's based on the state you're in, or based on your local agency's policy, or if the agent simply isn't aware that S-F agents in some states are writing Personal Article Policies to cover drones. Technically, your insuring a (flying) camera, although the coverage is for related accessories as well. There is no liability coverage included. I would suggest contacting some other agents to see if you get the same story. If you do, you may be in a state where S-F can't issue a PAP to specifically cover drones. The underwriting dept. that your local agents work with are the ones who have the real answers. I hope you find a solution. Good luck.

OK......I'm IN Kansas...soon i will call a local in town State Farm agent and see IF i can get a PAP here in the Kansas city area....i will send a answer back here what they said..Yay Or Nay !

It won't avoid that, nor is that what is happening. A carrier knows about all policies that they have in-force in house. They even know about claims filed with other insurance companies. There have really been no conversations about covering drones under homeowners or renters policies as most people are going to have deductibles under those policies which are close to the value of the drone. The polices being discussed to cover drones are Inland Marine policies, Personal Article Floaters or State Farm appears to call them Personal Article Polices. They can be stand alone policies that cover personal items, such as jewelry, camera equipment, book collections, pretty much anything that you'd want better coverage and set limits on. They usually have no deductible or a lower deductible.

Sorry to hear that you couldn't get a PAP with State Farm without having an existing policy of some type. I don't know who sets that policy but, there have been reports of that happening. Many pilots on this site, including myself, DO have stand-alone State Farm PAP coverage for our Phantom's without any existing policy.
I'd say that most likely it is the agent. An agent is going to make next to nothing on a $60/year premium so why hassle with the work. They would rather get people to change over a higher premium policy under them for the commission.

Reactions: Kissthesky
I found an awesome deal through Liberty Mutual for $27/ month after taxes for full coverage! Obviously this is hobbyists insurance not commercial.

Call other agents until you find one with an open mind.

My local agent told me flat-out 'no'... the next two told me they didn't know and didn't seem interested in finding out.

The fourth agent told me he didn't know but would find out and get back to me. He called back later that day. I emailed him the serial number, description, replacement cost, a copy of the sales receipt, and called in my CC number to him. He took my $60 and emailed me a copy of the binder that day - and told me that was for $3,000 coverage so I added my DSLR, my daughter's laptop, and my wife's inherited diamond ring.

Reactions: Kissthesky
I found an awesome deal through Liberty Mutual for $27/ month after taxes for full coverage! Obviously this is hobbyists insurance not commercial.
This thread is talking about 1st party coverage. I'm guessing you are talking about liability insurance which is completely different.

The 1st party policy is $60/year. You are paying (probably for liability), $324/year (if you consider that a good deal for 1st party coverage... I have some other "good deals" you may want). If you have a homeowners or renters policy you'd already have liability coverage for hobby use.

This thread is talking about 1st party coverage. I'm guessing you are talking about liability insurance which is completely different.

The 1st party policy is $60/year. You are paying (probably for liability), $324/year (if you consider that a good deal for 1st party coverage... I have some other "good deals" you may want). If you have a homeowners or renters policy you'd already have liability coverage for hobby use.
No...15k - drone
300k - liability
Personal property

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1