Starting F550 Build and Have Questions

Sounds cool. Do you fly FPV, and if so, do you have telemetry on your monitor, including voltage?

Just got my F550 kit a few days ago. Didn't realize there would be no ground controller or FPV equipment included, :( So I'm spending hours trying to find a good fit.
It came with a Naza V2 (is that the same as a Naza M?) and Zenmuse H3-3D. Now where can I find a Hero 3? :)
Looking forward to flying this thing once I get all the necessary parts. Btw, been flying Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4k for several months, so not new to drones.
Also, thinking seriously about installing a Pixhawk (or son of) instead of the Naza so I can use "Mission Planner" or "Tower" flight planning software. Do you guys know if either of those programs can run the Naza board?

Didn't realize there would be no ground controller or FPV equipment included

Hey skypup, welcome to the forums. Where did you get your F550 kit from? and didn't they have a complete list of all the components on their site?

It came with a Naza V2 (is that the same as a Naza M?)

The flight controller is a NAZA-M V2, so yes they are the same thing.

Now where can I find a Hero 3?

Since they are a little dated, maybe Ebay would be a good place to look. Or you could try a GoPro clone like the SJCAM SJ4000. That's what I had on my P1.1.1 and was very pleased with it.

"Mission Planner" or "Tower" flight planning software

Sorry pup, no experience with any of that software stuff. Strictly hands on the sticks for me, but someone here may chime in with a tip.

At any rate, have fun with your build, and if you hit any snags, I'll try to help, as well as others here. Keep us updated with the build (with pics if possible).

Hi Rebel,
New to the forum. Interested in building the F550. I want to say that I have enjoyed your dedication on the forum of your build. ill get back with you.
John

Just got my F550 kit a few days ago. Didn't realize there would be no ground controller or FPV equipment included, :( So I'm spending hours trying to find a good fit.
It came with a Naza V2 (is that the same as a Naza M?) and Zenmuse H3-3D. Now where can I find a Hero 3? :)
Looking forward to flying this thing once I get all the necessary parts. Btw, been flying Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4k for several months, so not new to drones.
Also, thinking seriously about installing a Pixhawk (or son of) instead of the Naza so I can use "Mission Planner" or "Tower" flight planning software. Do you guys know if either of those programs can run the Naza board?
Mission planner will not run on Naza. It is exclusive to APM and Pixhawk.

Hi Rebel,
New to the forum. Interested in building the F550. I want to say that I have enjoyed your dedication on the forum of your build. ill get back with you.
John

Hey JHook, welcome to the forum. Roger that, we can discuss your build here, where others can offer solutions and learn from your progress, or you can PM me for more detailed info. Let's get started!

Hey JHook, welcome to the forum. Roger that, we can discuss your build here, where others can offer solutions and learn from your progress, or you can PM me for more detailed info. Let's get started!

Helipal also sales a camera positioning kit for a Gopro Hero5 session. The railing system keeps the camera out in front so no propellers in video. $55 for the railing kit, not bad. It looks like Helipal had the best price on the F550 kit with the Naza M(v2) w/gps $430.
John

Don't forget to check their "shipping" charges. Rumor has it that it sometimes goes over $100US!!!

Thanks skypuppy for the info. Question: I would like to set up the GoPro h5 session with the helipad camera positioning kit. What gimble is compatible for that camera and positioning kit?
John

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong direction for a camera, maybe there is a better camera set up. I just don't want to view propellers or landing skids

There is a frame/legs kit that extends the rods quite far from the hub/center but I just remember where I saw that. I wanted to get it until I saw their price. You put the battery on the back extended rods in order to balance the system since the camera and it's gear are so far forward.

There is a frame/legs kit that extends the rods quite far from the hub/center but I just remember where I saw that. I wanted to get it until I saw their price. You put the battery on the back extended rods in order to balance the system since the camera and it's gear are so far forward.

Helipal.com sales one called: Camera Positioning Kit (660mm) P/N:pack-053 $55

I would like to buy a GoPro Hero5 Session camera $300, but having a problem finding a gimble to mount the camera, then mount to the positioning kit.

JHook, you'll probably have to buy and learn how to use a 3D printer and make your own adapter to one of the gimbals already on the market. I do recall seeing that kit on Helipal but refused to pay that horrendous shipping cost AND accepting a 4-6 WEEK delivery time.

It looks like Helipal had the best price on the F550 kit with the Naza M(v2) w/gps $430.

Hey Jhook, skypup is right. I almost bought from Helipal and the shipping cost was ONE HUNDRED SIX DOLLARS!!! :eek::eek::eek: Not only that, I found my kit on Ebay for $374 with free shipping. I probably shopped two to three weeks before pulling the trigger. Oh yeah, I lost almost a month screwing around with Ebay to get my money back on a deceptive sale from "outletstore" on Ebay. They had the lowest price but only sent the NAZA M V2 kit w/Gps and NO F550! Watch out for that seller.

Hey Jhook, skypup is right. I almost bought from Helipal and the shipping cost was ONE HUNDRED SIX DOLLARS!!! :eek::eek::eek: Not only that, I found my kit on Ebay for $374 with free shipping. I probably shopped two to three weeks before pulling the trigger. Oh yeah, I lost almost a month screwing around with Ebay to get my money back on a deceptive sale from "outletstore" on Ebay. They had the lowest price but only sent the NAZA M V2 kit w/Gps and NO F550! Watch out for that seller.

Thank you guys,
There is a hobby store near town (aero hobbies). I will also check them out. On the camera issue, I think I'm going to change my camera preferences. Get the zemuse H3-3D gimbal and use a gopro H3 or 4 and stay away from the hero sessions model. I think also going to stay away
From Helipal.com
Thanks again,
John

Hi. I dont mran to break into. But from what i been reading. Thr gopro 5 isnt fpv. Its good for recording but to view thru the monitor, i havent seen a forum or article on how it works. But i might be wrong.

Thank you for all the feed back. I did go to the local Aero Hobby Store. Very knowledgeable people. The owner (Andy) been flying helicopters and drones for a very, very long time. So I take his advice very seriously.

The conversation that we had was not building a Flame Wheel, which he said he would help me out, but to check into the Phantom 4 Pro. He advice me that the newer drones that are coming out these days has a lot to offer, and I would be spending more money in building a Flame Wheel that meets my expectation.

Thanks again for all of your help, I now will be reading the Phantom 4 Pro
Forums to get a better understanding of the drone before I purchase.
John

The p3pro is pretty good. I got the refurbished edition and I have it in strong winds near the beach. And the stability on it is amazing. I activate the course lock and it flies great. But the p4 pro is the goal or magiv.

I have both - but still love the F550 :) - Had a prop fail recently on the 550 it just flew the same now on the Phantom that would be curtains !!!! - Getting easily over 15mins flights on 2 x 4000mah in series :) fully loaded with H3-3D gimbal

cover-drone-2.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31