Starting all over after a 2 years....

Reaction score
Gang...
I've sadly let my Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian in the closet for almost 2 years now but... have decided to dust it off, and start learning how to fly it all over again.

So... I'm reading here that there are some differences since those days..... I had heard/read that we now have to get an "N" number for our drones.

Am I correct in thinking I now also have to take the part 107 FAA test... is this a requirement?

I'm going to peruse the forum top to bottom to update myself but I'd enjoy to hear from you guys about the few changes over the past year or two.

Thanks.

Kap

You do need to register your drone at faadronezone.faa.gov. DO NOT use any website that has anything other than a .gov address. They're all scams.

And you will eventually have to take the test as a hobbyist, but it's not ready. So don't worry about that for now.

Yeah I believe I paid for registration on a .com site not sure if it's a legit regi number but I still put it on my quadcopter and I printed a copy out. Plus proof of me buying it from that site weather it's real or not.

Thanks guys! Lastly.... I did register my drone back in the very early days with the FAA. Now I'm reading that the registration DOES need to be marked on the outside.....

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 23.15.50.png

So..... Required from what I read here..... Yes? No?

Kap

Last edited:
Every drone has to be registered, commercial or for fun. You have to be 13 or older, the drone has to weight a half pound or more. You need to set up an FAA account. You need to put your numbers on the drone, and they do not call it an 'N' number, that is for manned flight

Technically, it is not a “N” number...but it is a required registration 10 DIGIT number issued to the person and not the aircraft....but it is required to be displayed on the aircraft. So, should you sell the aircraft, the 10 DIGIT number doesn’t go with it...the next owner has to re-register it, and a NEW 10 DIGIT Number is re-assigned. Also, MAKE SURE That you De-Register the number when you sell it…otherwise if the new owner hasn’t re-registered it and you haven’t De-registered it technically is still YOUR Aircraft and your liability!...and while I’m on a rant...“N” numbers on airplanes are 2-5 numbers/letters...I guess the FAA figured that since we have all that space on our sUAS Aircraft that displaying a 10 DIGIT Number wouldn’t be a problem ?! Bottom line...DO NOT USE A SHARPIE!…use a label maker...looks good and can be peeled off. And Remember to re-register it every 3 years or 36 months. Yeah I know, ?...but it’s NOW a very much potential and extremely expensive violation... and in about 3 years they will be looking for aircraft flying on an expired registration.
It’s my understanding that the FAA inspectors have a certain inspection quota they have to meet..that, plus Part 107 being a Brand New set of regulations means that they WILL be paying more attention to us now! So please know and play by the rules!…but most Importantly ,BE SAFE!

I bought a used drone. Went to FAADroneZone and registered ME, got a 10 digit number, displayed it on my drone. I don't recall actually registering the DRONE. Now i am selling it, I keep seeing info that I need to UNregister it. I don't see anyplace to do that. Help please. Obviously a hobbyist not a 107.

I bought a used drone. Went to FAADroneZone and registered ME, got a 10 digit number, displayed it on my drone. I don't recall actually registering the DRONE. Now i am selling it, I keep seeing info that I need to UNregister it. I don't see anyplace to do that. Help please. Obviously a hobbyist not a 107.
In the US, if you registered as a hobbyist as you noted, it is you personally (not your drone) that is registered. That is why you don’t recall registering the drone. When you as a hobbyist sell, simply remove the number from your drone.

Had you registered as 107 on the other hand, the drone would have also been included in the registration. In that case, you’d want to de-register.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers