Stadium Rules

Reaction score
This weekend, my high school football team is competing in the superbowl for their division. It's being held at Gillette stadium, which is a major stadium. I was asked to make a hype video with our student council. I looked at the FAA stadium rules, and this game wouldn't fit into their TFR categories. My plan is to do a simple flyover outside the stadium, before the games start.

1) would this be considered commercial? Im not gettign paid or compensated for anyrhing

2) if i were to get permission from the stadium, could this be possible?

Reactions: kryptek and BigAl07
You can NOT do something for someone else and it fall under Recreational/Hobby. Now if you made the video and then later, out of the goodness of your heart gave it to them then you're good to go but that option is out the window. As soon as "Someone asks" the hobby/recreational caveat is no longer an option.

The fact that it would be done KNOWING it was to promote the upcoming event further takes it out of hobby/recreational.

Reactions: Numone
This weekend, my high school football team is competing in the superbowl for their division. It's being held at Gillette stadium, which is a major stadium. I was asked to make a hype video with our student council. I looked at the FAA stadium rules, and this game wouldn't fit into their TFR categories. My plan is to do a simple flyover outside the stadium, before the games start.

1) would this be considered commercial? Im not gettign paid or compensated for anyrhing

2) if i were to get permission from the stadium, could this be possible?

Also keep in mind that a big event like this there is going to be extra levels of Law Enforcement and Public Safety on hand. You'll want to coordinate with them as well because it's possible they (or someone they contract with) might have a UAS presence in the air as well.

Make sure you have your Part 107 and sufficient insurance in place before the event if you do decide to take on this task. Just don't be That Guy and give the media any more negative UAS ammunition.

I disagree on this being a commercial endeavor. If I make an aerial video of a friend’s wedding just because he’s my friend and nothing else, that doesn’t make it a commercial use. I say, gather the permissions you need from the property owners and do your thing.

Reactions: DR.B
I disagree on this being a commercial endeavor. If I make an aerial video of a friend’s wedding just because he’s my friend and nothing else, that doesn’t make it a commercial use.

Then you are WRONG! Call the local FSDO and ask them this same question posed by the OP. When someone asks you to do something FOR them it's no longer recreational but a CIVIL flight which falls under Part 107 regardless of compensation or not. Civil flights require either Part 107 or a COA if operating for a Public Safety Entity.

...I say, gather the permissions you need from the property owners and do your thing.

If you're willing to make such a BOLD (and wrong) statement to someone on the internet are you also willing to help them out should (when) your advice is wrong and they get into hot water over it? At least by heading my advice (Which is accurate) they don't risk huge fines and loss of equipment or worse.

Think about the advice you give and how it might actually affect the recipient if they were to take it as fact.

I disagree on this being a commercial endeavor. If I make an aerial video of a friend’s wedding just because he’s my friend and nothing else, that doesn’t make it a commercial use. I say, gather the permissions you need from the property owners and do your thing.
It's not that it's a commercial endeavor. It's that it's NOT a recreational flight. And if it's not a recreational flight, it must be a 107 flight. Any flight that's not recreational defaults to 107.

Reactions: microlinux
Here's the phone # to Squall Line UAV's local FSDO so you can call and pose the stadium question to them:
Riverside FSDO Contact the Office
Address:
6961 Flight Road
Riverside, California 92504

Phone: (951) 276-6701 Fax: (951) 689-4309
Email the Office
Office Hours: 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday � Friday
Office hours by appointment only

and here is the one covering the stadium for the OP:
Boston FSDO Contact the Office
Address:
1200 District Ave.
Burlington, Massachusetts 01803

Manager: Ron Curtis
Phone: (781) 238-7500
Fax: (781) 238-7550

Office hours as 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Tuesdays and Thursdays ONLY.
Office hours by appointment only.

My bad, Let me rephrase. They asked me to record it and edit it with one of my gopros. After that, I said that I should look into flying the drone if possible . My bad for being vague. Obviously, it sounds like alot more work than I thought.

When it comes to intent, i feel like thats a gray area that not alot people know about.

Exactly. The FAA caused part of the confusion by calling it a Commercial Operators License in the beginning. Commercial (exchange of $$) is but one condition that removes the operator from Hobby/Recreational guidelines. It's a CIVIL operation (but commercial falls under CIVIL) so therefor Part 107 applies if you're not flying under a Public Safety COA.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl