South Carolina Prisons Use sUAVs to watch inmates

I wonder if they are part 107 certified? Did they get permission from the FAA to fly in a no fly zone?

Hey, did you guys in in Baton Rouge get permission from the FAA to fly around a hospital or to fly at night ?

I wonder if they are part 107 certified? Did they get permission from the FAA to fly in a no fly zone?

Hey, did you guys in in Baton Rouge get permission from the FAA to fly around a hospital or to fly at night ?
We don't need permission to fly around a hospital. It's our property. We can fly there if we want. It's not a No Fly Zone.

We are not doing any night patrols. Only day time stuff. The P4P+ doesn't have any thermal/IR so it's not worth the hassle.

New Drone_13_JPG.jpg
I thought maybe you had a heliport. The air is regulated by the FAA.
Yes, we have a helipad. No, it's not controlled airspace. And sometimes I fly the Phantom from the helipad.

Reactions: Daasmangi
Last edited:
Well, at least they made it a felony with the claim of "Unlawful surveillance in the second degree" charge. With that charge, just taking off in your backyard or flying down your street could get the same response. :rolleyes:

One thing about law enforcement, they can pull something out of their hat if needed. Friend who was teaching at a driving school did a ride-along with the highway patrol. While sitting at a vantage point bored, the officer said, "Pick out a car and we'll pull it over and ticket it." She did, and then he did (Improper lane change without signaling.). If you're on their radar, it won't go well no matter what.

You guys know this is a thread about prison officials using sUAVs for paroling the prison property? Right? Nowhere in the article did it mention hospitals.

Last edited:
Attended NC Aviation Drone Summit this week. Appears this going to be a Tethered Drone Application for prisons and many other high risk sites. Tethered drones stay up long term with ground based power supplies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT