South Africa

Reaction score
hi all!

I am going to be spending a couple weeks here in South Africa. I am a us citizen, registered with the faa, non-commercial.

Can I fly legally in South Africa, and if yes, what are the general outlines of the rules there? Thanks so much in advance.

Jo

hi all!

I am going to be spending a couple weeks here in South Africa. I am a us citizen, registered with the faa, non-commercial.

Can I fly legally in South Africa, and if yes, what are the general outlines of the rules there? Thanks so much in advance.

Jo

Hi, The local SA rules are not closer than 50m to people not in your control, from roads and buildings. No night flying. The drone must be flown within sight and not more than 120m above take-off level.

I hope this helps

Thanks! I just got back and flew four times while there.

A couple of thoughts/additions....

No flying in any national park is allowed.

I did fly in a private game reserve, and that went well after getting permission from the operators of the reserve, with the note that even in private reserves poaching is a problem- and it is worthwhile to ask if anyone else needs to be notified of your flights to make sure that nobody attempts to shoot down the drone thinking that it belongs to a poacher.

Had a wonderful time and saw so many new things on this vacation! :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl