[SOLVED] Runs away in GPS mode with new update (2.10/3.10)

Re: Runs away in GPS mode with new update (2.10/3.10)

Supposedly dji is coming up with a fix for our problem. I'd like to know how these guys are getting info from dji, I can't even get the dealer to respond to me. One guy suggested flying in manual mode, that's a stupid suggestion if I ever heard one, must be a dji dealer wanting to sell more phantoms to the unlucky noobs that try it. I think I'll put up with the drift for awhile and see if they fix the gps firmware, the drift isn't bad enough but what I can control it. For the guys using the phantom for photo work, att is steadier except on windy days.

Gary39 said:
Supposedly dji is coming up with a fix for our problem. I'd like to know how these guys are getting info from dji, I can't even get the dealer to respond to me. One guy suggested flying in manual mode, that's a stupid suggestion if I ever heard one, must be a dji dealer wanting to sell more phantoms to the unlucky noobs that try it. I think I'll put up with the drift for awhile and see if they fix the gps firmware, the drift isn't bad enough but what I can control it. For the guys using the phantom for photo work, att is steadier except on windy days.
I would be a lot more patient, but I fear a side affect of this is the RTH feature will actually send it far, far away. I really liked the comfort of that RTH feature when it worked (it saved my Phantom at least one time) but now it is a liability.

TickTock said:
OK. I found some information on the 3.00 revision in another forum

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1875210

If you scroll down you can see that the GPS firmware is 6.0.1.2 and the hardware is 6.1.1.1 for their 3.00 setup so it does appear I got a GPS update which was not reverted when I switched back to 3.00. I need to figure out how to get my GPS back to 6.0.1.2.

I did not perform the update and I do not have those versions. For my 3.0 version my GPS sits at 6.0.1.3 and 6.1.1.2

just an fyi.... in case these numbers are what you have...

Hey capidrone, those are the numbers I've got. I'm going to do the back door thing, I may be able to go back after all, Thanks for the info. i'll let you know the outcome.

Gary39 said:
Hey capidrone, those are the numbers I've got. I'm going to do the back door thing, I may be able to go back after all, Thanks for the info. i'll let you know the outcome.

:mrgreen:

Gary39 said:
I am crossing my fingers for you! I have those same numbers, too, but I'm still drifting. Going to try installing 3.10 one more time... :?

I don't want to lose these gps numbers, capidrone has not done the upgrade so I'm pretty sure this version of gps is ok. I tried mine in the house, I don't have only about a 6x6 space in this room with all the furniture, tv, etc. with 8 ft ceilings so I can't tell much, but seems like I had to correct more than before. My wife is at a dog show now, I can't walk so I need her to help me to the back deck where I fly from, but as soon as I can get out there I'll see what happens. I have been going over this thing for hours, and I'm beginning to get upset about being djis guinea pig for them. Oh well, I guess they would call us pioneers. If that helps LOL

No luck with the reinstall of 3.10 after reverting back to 3.00. Furthermore, I confirmed that RTH is actually RFH (Run From Home). When I flipped the toggle to RTH, it immediately went to GPS mode (of course) and proceeded to fly in the opposite direction of the home lock. I was prepared so easily flipped back to ATTI and brought it back but it is scary.

Boy, that doesn't sound good.I didn't try to go back yet,maybe I won't. I can't tell you what mine will do in rth because I am very reluctant to try it. Try flipping the cl, and hl switch back and fourth three or four times before you take off, this is supposed to set a new home position.

Gary39 said:
Boy, that doesn't sound good.I didn't try to go back yet,maybe I won't. I can't tell you what mine will do in rth because I am very reluctant to try it. Did you have the same numbers in gps that capidrone and I have. I thought you gave different numbers in an earlier post. I thought you hab 6.012, not 6.112 ? Try flipping the cl, and hl switch back and fourth three or four times before you take off, this is supposed to set a new home position.
Oops that was a typo - I went back and fixed my earlier post. My numbers are the same as capidrone. At this point, there is little I can do except wait for dji to respond with a fix and only fly ATTI. I will disable the RTH option on the toggle, though.

Please, anyone else who is experiencing this, file a report on the dji-innovations site. I fear they may not prioritize a fix if it is only impacting a few people.

TickTock said:
No luck with the reinstall of 3.10 after reverting back to 3.00. Furthermore, I confirmed that RTH is actually RFH (Run From Home). When I flipped the toggle to RTH, it immediately went to GPS mode (of course) and proceeded to fly in the opposite direction of the home lock. I was prepared so easily flipped back to ATTI and brought it back but it is scary.

correct me if im wrong, but, in version 3.0 RTH is only initiated when the transmitter loses connectivity with phantom or power is turned off on TX.

You cannot flip toggle RTH in version 3.0

I don't know how long it will take dji to respond as long as these guys keep posting how " wonderful " and " great " this new upgrade is. While we're waiting, I found the other day that if you correct the drifting a couple of times it will settle in until you move it again. Don't know if this is true with yours or not

Capidrone, the new upgrade lets you use the gps, att, switch to run failsafe instead of the manual you could change to.He went back to the 3.10 version.

Gary39 said:
Capidrone, the new upgrade lets you use the gps, att, switch to run failsafe instead of the manual you could change to.He went back to the 3.10 version.

oh I thought he said "no luck re-installing 3.10 after reverting back to 3.0"

so I thought he was trying to activate RTH with ver 3.0 installed.. :geek:

Maybe he did, this mess is getting me down, and confused. If this continues I'll fly it into the ground and send it back for warranty defect.

Sorry, I could have been more clear. I *was* successful in re-updating to 3.10. It just still behaved the same way. I just now switched back to 3.00 since I prefer the throttle profile there.

I don't know what they have done. I'd like to know what they think are improvements they made. The worst part is they took away all the good when they corrected whatever. I hate the throttle change, but am afraid of losing something else if I try to go back to 3.0 Don't know why they changed anything anyway. Should have left it alone, was working good.

Gary39 said:
I don't know what they have done. I'd like to know what they think are improvements they made. The worst part is they took away all the good when they corrected whatever. I hate the throttle change, but am afraid of losing something else if I try to go back to 3.0 Don't know why they changed anything anyway. Should have left it alone, was working good.

just go back to 3.0 if you hate the throttle. it flew fine prior to the update yes?

with gps mode enabled i have come to the conclusion since its relying on satelite communication which obviously varies in real time, no matter how many times they re write the programming it cannot universally resolve every issue ...

Im choosing to stay at 3.0 because i have learned with that version and i feel comfortable troubleshooting with that version installed. I do not wish to "relearn, re calibrate, repair" any newer versions! its been a pain in the *** ownership experience so far and id rather spend my time flying than troubleshooting...

just my .02 :geek:

I agree that's the way I'm going. Wife is home, out to fly. Happy flying.

Gary (and anyone else with this problem), I recommend going to the F/S tab under Advanced and switch the failsafe from Go Home and Land to just Land. Far better chance of recovering it than having it fly off into the distance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20