Solved P4P Minor Gimbal Issues

Reaction score
My P4P just turned 1 and I have noticed a few (well reported) gimbal issues showing up and therefore decided why not have a look around.

Issue 1: Camera slightly off angle to left when flying straight.
Issue 2: Minor vibration / rolling shutter in video during windy conditions or banked turns.

Issue 1 was more of an annoyance and was the one that finally convinced me to see if there were any obvious culprits. The gimbal is pretty easy to remove, just a few hex screws and then 1 data cable and retaining clamp to remove. Interestingly enough unlike the P3, the gimbal is actually resting on 4 rubber mounts rather than being suspended and "centered" by gravity. There is a yellow piece of insulating tape across the top of the support frame. The ribbon cable that comes up out of the camera support arm had made contact with and stuck to the underside of the tape.

The first thing I noticed when manipulating the camera is that the rubber isolation mounts would sort of "crush" in certain positions and would cause the camera to angle off to the left. Because the tape was stuck to the ribbon cable, it was adding to the resistance keeping the lower gimbal structure from centering itself and I assume it was also transferring vibration to the camera arm. I just cut a square out of the tape and left the ribbon as is. It seems to have resolved both those issues so far. Pictures below show the area after the modification.

Attachments

• IMG_0601.JPG
    IMG_0601.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 392
  • IMG_8333.JPG
    IMG_8333.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 417
Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads