SoCal checking in

Reaction score
Buzz here from SoCal. I'm currently in Camarillo but on temporary duty in Goleta/Santa Barbara. I've had the Phantom 4 Pro for a few months now but my time to get out and fly are very limited. That and working right at the tip of the airport runway/flight path means I can't fly here at all. I kind of suspected that since I could throw a rock in the air and it might hit a manned aircraft landing.

After losing two now, count that TWO, small FPV drones, I've pretty well made up my mind that the road is best left untraveled by me. They get away so fast, are hard to control, and for me are not good at all to learn how to fly a drone with. I believe the last one is now in a palm tree about 50 feet in the air. Perhaps a Raccoon, Opossum, or Crow can put it to better use.

My uses for the drone(s) is for photography/videography work but I'm not limiting myself to that. I plan to retire soon and this may be a good supplemental occupation and as an artistic outlet at the least.

Hello again, Buzz. Hang in there. Sorry to hear you've lost some, but since you're a photographer (like me), you can still enjoy what aerial imaging offers. Did you get any decent images when you were downtown SB recently? I'm thinking of shooting the Mission tomorrow morning since there's a good chance of sunrise colors. But, we can meetup at the harbor and do more of the kind of imaging you've seen from me here recently.

Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
0rojyyg-png.95983

Reactions: RBuzz
Not to sound to much like heel, but you are locate in a prime area for aerial work for insurance, both company & homeowner due to the recent fires over the last couple of years.

Hello again, Buzz. Hang in there. Sorry to hear you've lost some, but since you're a photographer (like me), you can still enjoy what aerial imaging offers. Did you get any decent images when you were downtown SB recently? I'm thinking of shooting the Mission tomorrow morning since there's a good chance of sunrise colors. But, we can meetup at the harbor and do more of the kind of imaging you've seen from me here recently.
I didn't even try for any imagery. The first goal is to become very familiar with the drone, and it's controls.
Building my confidence in my ability to fly it. Essentially, making the flying a subconscious act like we now do with walking. That's coming quickly with the Phantom, unlike those little monsters I've been trying to work with.
I have no problem with networking with others that share our same interests so if you give me a time and place to meet I'll be interested in observing but will have the Phantom with me( all batteries are charged) so I can participate as well, if I feel confident enough to. I do have to be in Goleta, next to the airport, by 8 AM.

LOL, OK, It's 6:30AM. I peeked off to the East and it looks FANTASTIC! I trust you'll be posting some magnificent shots.
Sadly enough, I don't think Northrop Grumman appreciates the sacrifices I make for them.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum bro hope you enjoy ?

Welcome to the forum! :)

Not to sound to much like heel, but you are locate in a prime area for aerial work for insurance, both company & homeowner due to the recent fires over the last couple of years.
Indeed but first I need to gain confidence and ability with my drone as well as getting FAA part 107 certified for commercial work.

Check out the SB Drone Club Discussion Group on facebook. We're having a meeting tonight, but I can't make it. It is in Goleta.

Buzz here from SoCal. I'm currently in Camarillo but on temporary duty in Goleta/Santa Barbara. I've had the Phantom 4 Pro for a few months now but my time to get out and fly are very limited. That and working right at the tip of the airport runway/flight path means I can't fly here at all. I kind of suspected that since I could throw a rock in the air and it might hit a manned aircraft landing.

After losing two now, count that TWO, small FPV drones, I've pretty well made up my mind that the road is best left untraveled by me. They get away so fast, are hard to control, and for me are not good at all to learn how to fly a drone with. I believe the last one is now in a palm tree about 50 feet in the air. Perhaps a Raccoon, Opossum, or Crow can put it to better use.

My uses for the drone(s) is for photography/videography work but I'm not limiting myself to that. I plan to retire soon and this may be a good supplemental occupation and as an artistic outlet at the least.
Welcome to PhantomPilots from Dayton Ohio! Enjoy your P4P, Fly safe and have fun!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj