So what CAN we do?

Reaction score
Hi all!
So I am a new phantom 4 owner looking to both get into flying commercially as well as for personal fun.
I've read an exhausting number of articles regarding the mess surrounding drone regulation. I want to play by the rules but find that living in Los Angeles I'm virtually not allowed to take off the ground without calling 10 airports/helipads before finding a city ordinance saying I can't fly at all.

So what does one do? Articles are always quick to chastise the FAA and cities for nonsensical ordinances and conflicting regulations but they stop short of saying what to actually do. Ordinances being unenforceable will mean nothing if I'm getting handcuffed. But do I have nothing to worry about if I do get approached by police? I am going to a dodger baseball game this week and dream of flying over the parking lot safely away from people to get a sweeping view of the field and downtown los angeles in the background.

My core questions that I'd like to open a discussion on:
• Have you ever had an experience with the police over flying your drone?
• If a city has an ordinance in place, should you ignore it since they have no jurisdiction?
• Will I be in trouble, flying around (Never over) a sporting event?

You should always follow the regulations, but knowing what's legal and what's not in LA Can be a challenge. For instance, I fly Palos Verde peninsula in LA county along the coast all the time, but only in areas that are not posted "no flying model aircraft".

If possible I always try to launch from a place people can't easily see me. Then when I return to home I try to approach home from an altitude and direction that most people can't see or hear the drone. So if you're target is 1/4mi east of you, after you're done shooting, ascend to 300', fly fast 1/4 mile North before heading West, and then south to home. It's almost impossible to see a phantom 1/4mi away. Try not to hover a lot either when shooting, that freaks people out, keep it moving. Then when you land, put the rc and craft in the car asap and leave. Don't lolligag around, taking your time. This can minimize risk if someone calls the police to complain.

Last edited:
Reactions: thtguyjosh
fly fast 1/4 mile North before heading West, and then south to home. It's almost impossible to see a phantom 1/4mi away.

Thanks for your advice! Regarding your example of flying in other directions before flying home, wouldn't that bring the flight to more peoples attention than just flying east and then straight back and landing? I understand that doing so rather points directly at you but it seems quicker.

Thanks for your advice! Regarding your example of flying in other directions before flying home, wouldn't that bring the flight to more peoples attention than just flying east and then straight back and landing? I understand that doing so rather points directly at you but it seems quicker.
When shooting you'll typically be moving slow and you'll be low. That's when people get ticked. You don't want them knowing your home point, so don't fly directly back. When returning if you ascend to 300' to come home, indirectly, it's very difficult for anyone to see it. If they do, it's so far away and so fast, nobody cares.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj