So some idiot shot my phantom3 advanced WITH 22.

My recommendation is that you follow up with the sheriff and obtain the name off the detective that was assigned to the case. Contact the detective and let them know that you now have $1000 in damages to the drone (go by the cost you have into the drone). Explain that you have flight data of where you were flying as well as photos from the drone. Inform the detective that you will be happy to cooperate in any way possible with the investigation and that you don't feel that someone should be able to arbitrarily take matters into their own hands and fire a gun at someone's personal property.

Ultimately you may need to file a civil suit against the person. Sometimes a judge in a criminal case will order restitution (they are allowed to do this) but they don't allows do it. If not, wait for the criminal case to end and then you can file a civil suit. Keep in mind that you have one year to file in court.
That's exactly what I done and I will continue doing till the situation is resolved. The guy messed up when he tried to lie about things he said I done previously and what I was doing at the time. Sherrif said that's what's gonna make him look bad like he's hiding something. Dective is suppose to call me sometime this morning. I'll keep up with it and post it all.

Where someone is standing makes little difference when it's the drone that someone was firing at. If the owner of the property wants to press charges for the person trespassing on their land, they can do this.
Sherrif said yes that would be the case if it was 50 feet or below because you only own space above your property that you can phiscally use. And both he and I doubted the man use anything at 200ft up. My brother is also a Sherrif in next Parrish over and said ol boy totally in the wrong. Criminal damage to property, and criminal mischief.

Reactions: ricvil
It is illegal in this country also to shoot as Cody said it happened.

Cody, get with Deective and see what charges are to be filed.
It should be somewhere along the lines of disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace, criminal mischief, destruction of private property and then any gun related like shooting within 300 ft of building, shooting across highway, shooting within 100 yds of road or railway, reckless endangerment, etc.

Being a neighbor, I would see about complete and immediate restitution. If he wobbles at all I would want him charged.
The detective could suggest this scenario if agreeable and the neighbor would likely take it, if YOU want to.

I would make sure that they don't need the UAV for evidence before fixing it because I would think that as is would definitely let the jurors see the light easily. Plus you could sue for damages and charge for every day that your UAV was out of your hands and being held for evidence. I would just hit eBay and pick up one of the P3P's for under $800 and let the District Attorney use yours until the guy is behind bars.

Reactions: AKPhantom
Sherrif said yes that would be the case if it was 50 feet or below because you only own space above your property that you can phiscally use. And both he and I doubted the man use anything at 200ft up. My brother is also a Sherrif in next Parrish over and said ol boy totally in the wrong. Criminal damage to property, and criminal mischief.

That would be more correct than I've seen most law enforcement get. However, it's not 50 and the real ruling is that a person has a easement into the air above their property which allows them to use the property as it was intended.

It doesn't matter if you were doing something wrong or not. People can't take out a gun and start shooting unless their life is in danger
and they need to defend themselves.
That is why we have police. It would be screwed up world if everyone could take justice into their own hands.

I would make sure that they don't need the UAV for evidence before fixing it because I would think that as is would definitely let the jurors see the light easily. Plus you could sue for damages and charge for every day that your UAV was out of your hands and being held for evidence. I would just hit eBay and pick up one of the P3P's for under $800 and let the District Attorney use yours until the guy is behind bars.
You can't sue for damages for a hobby. You *might* get 'loss of enjoyment' but not likely. It's a toy.

It is illegal in this country also to shoot as Cody said it happened.

Cody, get with Deective and see what charges are to be filed.
It should be somewhere along the lines of disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace, criminal mischief, destruction of private property and then any gun related like shooting within 300 ft of building, shooting across highway, shooting within 100 yds of road or railway, reckless endangerment, etc.

Being a neighbor, I would see about complete and immediate restitution. If he wobbles at all I would want him charged.
The detective could suggest this scenario if agreeable and the neighbor would likely take it, if YOU want to.
Sherrif said he didn't even offer him to pay for it without charging him. Because Sherrif said he was a totall pecker head. That was the first suggestion I brought up. The man is just lucky I'm not the hound kid I once was. So I calmly waited for Sherrif instead of going over to meet him. Lol. (The wife wouldn't let me)

In US you are safe if you are flying above 84' of anyone's property. It's not a good practice to fly over people.

If you were at 100' and above, shooting your flying drone was a criminal activity.

In US you are safe if you are flying above 84' of anyone's property. It's not a good practice to fly over people.

If you were at 100' and above, shooting your flying drone was a criminal activity.
That's a bit of a myth. Stems from the Causby Decision and what the Supreme Court said was if you were flying above 'Minimum Safe Altitude' (as defined by the FAA), then you were in a public space. Otherwise, not so much. But it did not give a generalized specific answer - just said that because the military flights were at 84 feet (gotta love those precision military pilots) they were clearly below MSA and thus, the government owed Mr. Causby some money.

The actual boundary of public vs. private airspace is a bit of a contentious subject.

Nonetheless, SHOOTING at anything in the air with a rifle is bound to get you nailed for reckless endangerment or similar no matter what altitude the UFO is flying at.

Reactions: pomonabill220
Sherrif said he didn't even offer him to pay for it without charging him. Because Sherrif said he was a totall pecker head. That was the first suggestion I brought up. The man is just lucky I'm not the hound kid I once was. So I calmly waited for Sherrif instead of going over to meet him. Lol. (The wife wouldn't let me)
You c onducted yourself well.

I want to say I can't believe it but that would be a lie. Congrats on conducting yourself with restraint (or congratulate your wife) because who knows what could have happened if you didn't. I always think about that, you never know who you are encountering on their worst day. And people are capable of some crazy stuff at their worst.

I hope you get some sort of restitution.

Your better than me. I find 22 unreliable accuracy wise over 100m and I consider that close. Agreed they do travel a long way though.
Bird ..with a bull barrel 22-1022 you could burn one up at 100 yards . Had that been a .303 it would not have made it home .
What did the Sherriff say Cody ?
Anybody could get lucky with a popshot and a 22, it doesnt mean this hillbilly( i say that w/ the greatest respect) was a sharpshooter and the fact that the round was stopped by the circuit board and remained plastered inside the vps would be a pretty safe bet that it was a hillbilly, probably kid skipping school, with a 22LR

Anybody could get lucky with a popshot and a 22, it doesnt mean this hillbilly( i say that w/ the greatest respect) was a sharpshooter and the fact that the round was stopped by the circuit board and remained plastered inside the vps would be a pretty safe bet that it was a hillbilly, probably kid skipping school, with a 22LR
OP posted it was an irate father protecting a daughter and his cows.

The fact that William Meredith (Kentucky drone shooter) so far has not been clearly convicted and punished for shooting a drone in the sky has set a precedent that others are following. People ARE watching the news. Until people who recklessly discharge their firearms into the sky at objects are heavily fined and receive appropriate punishment, the general message is that the law is unclear how to deal with this......so....open season until otherwise notified.

A few VERY high profile arrests and convictions followed by expensive fines and jail time or probation are probably needed to put a stop to this dangerous nonsense. And it IS dangerous and it DOES need to be stopped.

The potential maximum fine for flying a drone without registration (noone harmed) - $27,000
The perceived fine for discharging a firearm into the air at drones - $ Zero

Uh...common sense has left the building....I always doubted it had anything to do with public safety.

Last edited:
Drone or not. FAA or not.

You can't legally discharge a firearm over a roadway(Cody said he was following a highway, so OVER a highway/roadway)or discharge within a specified distance of a roadway.

No way the shooter will convince a judge and or jury he was protecting anything that physically in or over a public highway or had a right to shoot at or over a public highway.

Reactions: Prairie Pyro

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4