Smoke

Reaction score
As many of you probably know, California is burning. Smoke fills the air all over LA area. I want to take some shots. Any idea what affect will smoke have on the motors?

Smoke shouldn't be a problem for the motors, but make sure there aren't any TFR's (temporary flight restrictions) for any fire fighting areas.

As many of you probably know, California is burning. Smoke fills the air all over LA area. I want to take some shots. Any idea what affect will smoke have on the motors?

You must have 3 statute miles of visibility to fly. That's 3 miles (on the ground, just like your car) in all directions.

I doubt flying through smoke wisps will have any effect. I fly through SW Florida humidity and salt air all the time and those are likely far worse conditions.

Reactions: Hikaru Sulu
You must have 3 statute miles of visibility to fly. That's 3 miles (on the ground, just like your car) in all directions.

I doubt flying through smoke wisps will have any effect. I fly through SW Florida humidity and salt air all the time and those are likely far worse conditions.

Thank you.

Smoke has heat but also carbon and other chemicals.
Carbon can build up and cause short circuits.

I can well understand the wish to get some aerial shots ... but I also remember previous fires where Drone Fliers caused Fire Fighting recon and water bombers to be grounded ...

I would expect there to be substantial restrictions regarding any flights of UAV ... finding out all - may be not so easy ...

Nigel

Reactions: Russ43Phantom
Looking at camera feeds from San Francisco area there is a very thick smog layer above the ground even there. It seems to be trapped below and inversion. I would contact your local Met Office and ask where that layer is and stay away from it, I doubt it would be very friendly to our aircraft . If you are planning on getting closer the problem will worsen and many are using masks further north on the ground. In the air the particulates will not be friendly.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4