Reaction score
recently semi-rural Central FL trip, P4P+; max rise 327 ft;
hobbyist, straight up to take photos, then landing;
several times got restricted flying message;
searched Google Map "airports near me"
& called community airport appearing to be
within 5 miles; got no answer or "leave message"
recording; whether or not leaving message,
is there anything else to be done? fly or not?
I wanted to photograph specific ponds, parks, etc.,
so moving outside 5 miles = no photo.
am aware dronist behavior outside cities is
much looser, some small airports tell me I
am first to ever contact them & thank me...
but technically, I should...???...& shouldn't...???
thanks in advance...

Last edited:
I have a house in the high desert in So Cal and back in January I made an attempt to fly out towards some beautiful bolder mountains. I was very surprised to get an unpaved airstrip warning. This is a dirt airstrip privately owned but has always been abandoned. I flew right up to the edge of it then fought the RTH until it finally won. Not sure if it’s now in the updated software but when it finally turned me back after I forced it back to manual a couple times all the telemetry shut off and it flew straight back home. I was still able to see a perfect live picture on the mini but absolutely zero DJIGo telemetry. It was like the app wasn’t even turned on, although obviously it was. I was able to rotate the bird but that’s about it. Strange...

Thanks for starting responses.
hobbyist;
have to click "no" twice to make
warning message disappear permanently...

How can we report and get removed from a NFZ or get the FAA to remove it from their know airports, small filed strips that are no longer active. Just recently that's same case for me, went to my favorite park only to get the NFZ for a old abandoned grass field that has a fence halfway through the strip and overgrown tree's all around it. Called the number in AirMap and it says no longer in service. There has to be a way to get the FAA to clear these old abandoned field strips. I am sure at one time is was active to crop dust, now its surrounded by homes.

Whats the temperature of the day of the flight ?.....I sure Enjoyed the video.you sure don't have to mow grass for sure.

Reason why i asked about the temperature is i was wondering just what the drones battery
temperature was during the flight...it had to be a very hot !

Last edited:
How can we report and get removed from a NFZ or get the FAA to remove it from their know airports,

I'd like to know the answer to that question too. There's a non-existent heliport listed, on all the flight apps, 1/2 mile from one of my favorite places to fly - in the middle of a rural, heavily wooded area! It also pops up the warning in DJI Go but hasn't prevented me from flying (yet!)... I just tick the two check boxes and 'take responsibility' and take off.

This supposed heliport is not on the current Atlanta sectional map, and when I called the listed telephone number a lady answered and didn't know what the heck I was talking about. Turns out that's a private phone number... strange.

There has to be a way to get the FAA to clear these old abandoned field strips.

If you find it please let me know.

With ever-tightening restrictions there may come a day when my quad won't take off from there.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Here in UK, the rule is not to fly within 1 kilometer of an airport. A nearby hotel has a helipad for rich [or American? lol] guests . It is on a mountainside, so I fly from the valley below. However, it doesn't come up on the app. I'm wondering if UK maps have not been updated as much as US? Having said that, the commanding officer of a nearby helicopter training base [Google it: shawbury+raf+drone] has made a video suggesting even tighter controls on drones. Problem in UK is that kids are buying cheap drones without GPS & flying them in public parks etc. The rest of us are suffering by association. If in doubt, I always ask. This week I was refused permission to fly above a beach, but when the guy realised I wanted to take serious images & not whizz around like some demented reincarnation of the Red Baron, he agreed to let me come back out of school holidays & make an appointment to fly. Fair enough, I suppose

I have had same problem when you call no answer.Just leave message where you will be flying and when.Are you unlocking it from the Dji app?If you unlock it in app it shouldn't block you from flying.Good luck getting FAa to change it with Dji to much time and money. And they really do not give a fat rats *** if a drone cannot fly some where.

You can get a free recorder on you cellphone. And if no answer, at least you have proof u tried

This is what I did also, and in the message I stated that if they would like me to notify them every time I fly from this location to please call me back on this phone number.
I never heard back.

This is what I did also, and in the message I stated that if they would like me to notify them every time I fly from this location to please call me back on this phone number.
I never heard back.

That message does NOT alleviate you from the requirement to notify them. The only way to do that is to get something from them stating such. Letter of Agreement or something. The requirement falls on you to make the call and not them to call you back.

You cannot contact an airport that is permanently closed an no longer operational. They should be removed from the FAA database. The field I was referring to has houses all around and fences crossing runway.

An airport near me has been closed for at least 5 years, maybe much longer. I noticed recently that it's now marked with (Closed) on the sectional. This text was not there last year, so there is hope they'll "close" your airport someday.
upload_2018-8-27_14-41-21.png

Faa should up-date their Data base . Don't think that will help with DJI as it's DJI's NFZ software that's causing the issues . many of these closed airports should not even be on their lists but we are dealing with China and they are known to steal secrets so the FAA may not work with them to correct these issues

I'd like to know the answer to that question too. There's a non-existent heliport listed, on all the flight apps, 1/2 mile from one of my favorite places to fly - in the middle of a rural, heavily wooded area! It also pops up the warning in DJI Go but hasn't prevented me from flying (yet!)... I just tick the two check boxes and 'take responsibility' and take off.

This supposed heliport is not on the current Atlanta sectional map, and when I called the listed telephone number a lady answered and didn't know what the heck I was talking about. Turns out that's a private phone number... strange.

If you find it please let me know.

With ever-tightening restrictions there may come a day when my quad won't take off from there.

How about this, I reported the airport to AirMap and they are working to remove one of two I reported. One is no longer on the FAA charts yet shows up on AirMap, Litchi and triggers on DJI Go 4. The second one was reported to the FAA through the B4UFly app.

Thank you very much for reaching out to AirMap detailing the issues at this location!

We went ahead and forwarded the details you provided for our engineers to thoroughly review the airspace information in the AirMap for Drones application. We have noticed some conflicting information regarding the existence of ED SCHULTE'S PLACE airport and we will be taking the appropriate action to display the most correct information possible in the AIrMap for Drones application.

While this may take some time, we highly encourage you to advise of any additional locations that may also require additional attention. The details you just provided always helps expedite this process!

Thank you again for taking the time to ensure the information in the AirMap app is accurate and up to date Tim! We really appreciate your efforts.

Double tap

Last edited:
How about this, I reported the airport to AirMap and they are working to remove one of two I reported. One is no longer on the FAA charts yet shows up on AirMap, Litchi and triggers on DJI Go 4. The second one was reported to the FAA through the B4UFly app.

Somehow, I missed this reply!

Thanks for the suggestions @TropicDiverOne

I don't use the B4UFLY app much, didn't know it had a 'report' feature.

And now you mention it, Airmap would also be a logical place to go for help. From what little I know about the advanced aspects of the sUAS industry, Airmap seems to be working hard to be top dog.

I'll file a report with both, thanks again.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj