slow fall and crash

My experience with the prop guards was not good and I immediately returned them. I will be flying in areas that if an incident happened people and property would not be damaged or in danger. I have been in the R/C industry for 20 years so I can fly.

Hovering creates a down wash reducing lift as the air above the blades is removed. It also becomes less dense and further hampers air density reducing lift. The hotter it is the thinner the air density gets, less lift, why places like Arizona (118 degrees) have to stop landing and taking off planes as the air is so thin they just drive off the end of the runway.

In a real Helicopter they do NOT like to hover in the same spot for very long and move around or in any direction other than staying stationary. Helicopters with large blades and lift create a huge down ward air flow. This reduces the air pressure and lift, basically they create a whole and fall from the sky due low air density and no air to create lift.

Air disruption of the blades as well as wings on planes must be smooth, if they have even the smallest nick or dimple the size of a marble on an airliner will be grounded. It creates turbulence, reduces lift for the next blade as it passes the disrupted air. The prop guards disrupts the downward airflow (consistent lift) and creates back wash up into the blades disrupting the clean air flow of the blades. The flight stabilization system and GPS is trying to compensate for this instability along with YOU trying to control it as well. Thus you have a very twitchy and difficult to control drone and will likely end up in a very rough landing if not crashing it.

I put the prop guards on and they lasted two flights, one was at 20 feet in a field on an obstacle course setup to hone flying skills in low level flights. The drone was very unstable, flight was on the ragged edge at best, smooth flight changes in altitude and controlled maneuvers were jerky, erratic and in three cases near crashes and one crash when it rolled over falling 7 feet on its lid. It survived!!!

High altitude flight, first lets just say having the prop guards visible in 30% of the video was not going to work. The flight was erratic, flight time was reduced due to drag from the guards and flight control was jerky. Landing was nothing short of a lead brick, also, every take off was off balance dragging one side of the skids and not a straight up take off. Every landing ended in the drone tipping over on to one side resting on the prop guards.

I removed the prop guards, everything went back to normal, straight up take off and landings, smooth flight control, increased battery time. The obstacle course was clean and smooth as my proficiency on the course and time gets better.

These were OEM factory #28 prop guards from DJI, not some off brand. I will encourage anyone to NOT use them as it will hamper there ability to fly and become better pilots and worst case, crashed drones.

phantomguy said:
Often the crashes with coming down uncontrollably (even slowly) with a wobble with prop guards in place are attributed to vortex wash where the props cant get air under them to push up against. THis is why DJI (via firmware updates) have been slowing down max descent rate speeds. In these situations only thing you can do is use the right stick to try to move out of the prop wash.

The reduced rate of descent is a pain the ***... It takes ages to get back down from even 200-300ft. I was aware of VRS so I always descend as I am flying forward or back home so never had an issue.
It does raise a question though, if failsafe or RTH has been triggered and it flies back on its own, does it not descend straight down? Could it not fall due to VRS under auto pilotl?

Ksandersfl said:
The flight was erratic, flight time was reduced due to drag from the guards and flight control was jerky. Landing was nothing short of a lead brick, also, every take off was off balance dragging one side of the skids and not a straight up take off. Every landing ended in the drone tipping over on to one side resting on the prop guards.

That's right! And it's high time you anti-prop guard pilots started giving us the respect we deserve. It's much harder to fly with the prop guards on, which means we're manly men. Thank you for saying that, and we accept your apology. :cool:

CarlJ said:
Ksandersfl said:
The flight was erratic, flight time was reduced due to drag from the guards and flight control was jerky. Landing was nothing short of a lead brick, also, every take off was off balance dragging one side of the skids and not a straight up take off. Every landing ended in the drone tipping over on to one side resting on the prop guards.

That's right! And it's high time you anti-prop guard pilots started giving us the respect we deserve. It's much harder to fly with the prop guards on, which means we're manly men. Thank you for saying that, and we accept your apology. :cool:

They're kinda like training wheels for quads, yeah?

Wide open. It was literally an open space.

MikesTooLz said:
jalpert said:
Sorry, but you're wrong. I was with someone that ended up in VRS just by hovering. Hasn't happened since removing the prop guards.

Was he flying in a wide open field at the time of his crash?

Phantom_Menace66 said:
They're kinda like training wheels for quads, yeah?

They can be, it depends on who's using them and for what reason. The truth is now I'd be more comfortable without them. While it's true that the prop guards allow for more surface area for the wind to affect, there's also more area to get hung up on things...like trees. I would not use the guards if I were trying to do professional work, but with 3 dogs, 2 cats, and a slew of kids around, they add an extra layer of protection.

Today I'll be shooting a building, so I'm not using guards. Tomorrow I'll be using my Feiyu G3 gimbal, and won't use my phantom at all. I look at the guards as just another tool.

And of course if you're going to be taking your prop guards on and off you have to ensure you're using the motor screws when the guards are off, and the longer screws that came with the guards when they're on. Failure to use the right screw can and will damage your motor.

I'm sure you're aware of that, but for others that aren't

I took my prop guards off today for the first time. I like the way it flies without the guards but it's definitely harder to see without them.

D_Tshudy said:
I took my prop guards off today for the first time. I like the way it flies without the guards but it's definitely harder to see without them.

I agree it's a noticeable difference, but not as much as adding the gimbal.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj