Skew Planar Antenna Question

Reaction score
So I just recently bought the phantom2 v2 and am looking to get a solid FPV system going for aerial videography. I recently purchased two of these skew planar antennas, http://www.amazon.com/Circular-Wireless ... B00GP5ECGC

one for the transmitter (Immersion RC and one for the receiver on the black pearl monitor.) I am also going to throw a 14dbi High Gain Panel Antenna on the black pearl second port. Any thoughts on how this will work?

(High Gain Panel)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JPJ ... UTF8&psc=1

The Circular wireless Antennas are good quality stuff. The High gain one for $9.00 ehh I dunno about that one lol. In the mean time check out the sticky about FPV equipment viewtopic.php?f=34&t=26413

Many members will suggest FPVLR antennas because many have tried different antennas and the reviews speak for themselves. enjoi :D

those are "okay" antennas and likely going to give you a couple hundred meters of range depending on where you place the transmit lobe... but the real trick isn't your transmit antenna... it's if you have a short range omnidirectional antenna on your receiver. If you find you aren't getting good range, swap over to a nice helix like the FPVLR 4.25 turn helix... it's a directional antenna so you'll have to keep it pointed at the Phantom, but you'll get much more range with a helix on the receiver than a skew-planar, pinwheel or cloverleaf (any omnidirectional).

Omnidirectional receiver antenna = shorter range
directional receiver antenna = longer range

you also need to pay attention to the location of your transmit antenna. think 3-dimensionally, if the lobe of that antenna doesn't hang down below the gimbal and legs, you're going to have "dead spots" in certain orientations. your receiver lobe needs to be able to see the transmitter lobe to get good signal... many people put their transmit lobe in a position where it can be blocked by the gimbal/gopro. just keep that in mind

QYV said:
those are "okay" antennas and likely going to give you a couple hundred meters of range depending on where you place the transmit lobe... but the real trick isn't your transmit antenna... it's if you have a short range omnidirectional antenna on your receiver. If you find you aren't getting good range, swap over to a nice helix like the FPVLR 4.25 turn helix... it's a directional antenna so you'll have to keep it pointed at the Phantom, but you'll get much more range with a helix on the receiver than a skew-planar, pinwheel or cloverleaf (any omnidirectional).

Omnidirectional receiver antenna = shorter range
directional receiver antenna = longer range

you also need to pay attention to the location of your transmit antenna. think 3-dimensionally, if the lobe of that antenna doesn't hang down below the gimbal and legs, you're going to have "dead spots" in certain orientations. your receiver lobe needs to be able to see the transmitter lobe to get good signal... many people put their transmit lobe in a position where it can be blocked by the gimbal/gopro. just keep that in mind

But since I will be combining the short range omnidirectional and longer range patch both on the receiver wouldn't that give me the best of both worlds. In other words I'll have the circular wireless skew planar which is omni directional on the tx, and another circular wireless which is omni and patch on the rx. Is that not a good combo?

fpvlr all the way. 4.25 helix brought fpv to a whole new level, outstanding clarity and range.

So should I just leave the skew planar on one port of the black pearl, and put the 4.25 helix on the other?

tux455 said:
But since I will be combining the short range omnidirectional and longer range patch both on the receiver wouldn't that give me the best of both worlds. In other words I'll have the circular wireless skew planar which is omni directional on the tx, and another circular wireless which is omni and patch on the rx. Is that not a good combo?

sorry tux I didn't notice your 2nd link with that "high gain panel". I'm afraid I don't know as much about how those panels work vs a helix. I am extremely skeptical about a $10 antenna though... there's a reason it's that cheap vs premium antennas.

I guess it depends on your budget... those 2 items you posted come out to about $55, so you're exactly halfway to the FPVLR base combo (it's only $10 more for the ultimate combo). Me, I'd simply double it and get the best antennas there are. If you don't have the $55 or $65 extra to spare then by all means go with a cheaper antenna... but I honestly think for half the price you're going to get way less than half the performance of a premium set :)

If you wind up getting that panel, definitely please circle back here and tell us about the performance. I'd be very curious to know how that antenna works, especially when it's the only antenna on the receiver.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1