Conditions Vs. Antenna

Reaction score
Hi guys. My name is Jeff and I'm new to the forum. I'll try to keep this simple if I can. My P3S had to go into repair with a failed motor a couple of weeks back and I just got it back and did some testing. Prior to the failure, my longest flight with the stock controller using a HOBBYSUNRISC Copper Parabolic Antenna Range Booster was just over a mile on a fairly wide open area. I then upgraded to the ARGtek and have done some testing and was disappointed with the range here in my urban area with lots of obstructions. I was getting about 2400ft range. I have not tested the ARGtek at the area where I had previously flown the mile as of yet. Anyway, while the P3S was in for repair, I watched a video of a guy on youtube using a set cheap set of 9db antennas off of amazon, so I gave it shot.

Amazon.com: 2x Wireless 2.4G 2.4GHz 10dBi RP-SMA male WIFI Booster Antenna WLAN Modem Router PCI Good Quality Fast USA Shipping: Home Audio & Theater

Got my P3 back yesterday and tested a bit this morning. With the ARGtek antennas I was getting about the same, 2400ft range before RTH consistently. With the el-cheapo amazon antennas, I'm consistently getting just over 3000ft. Not quite sure that I understand the longer range since the 5ghz ARGtek center antenna is the controller antenna and I never swapped it out. All tests done with the same controller antenna. I've had success on other radio projects using omni antennas in heavily wooded areas as staying dead inline with the receiver isn't as critical. I'm thinking of finding a suitable 9 or 10 db 5.8 omni and seeing how that does in this same area.
Questions
1. How is my control range extended with the 2 - 2.4ghz omni wifi antennas?
2. Anyone found a good high gain omni for the controller?

I seem to get better range with an omni in the wooded areas that I fly most. I get better range with a directional in open areas where I can keep the antennas pointed more directly at the aircraft without the obstructions. I did order the ARGtek 10db omni a few minutes ago. I just don't understand how I can get better range on the ARGtek omni by replacing the two 2.4g antennas on either side with omnis? Doesn't make sense. I did do one more test this afternoon. I left the two flat panel 2.4's in place and used one of the 9db omnis on the controller. I got 2800ft twice. About 230 feet less than the ARGtek 5.8 antenna. Hopefully, I'll see some gain with the ARGtek 10db and I'm looking at a 14db flat panel to test as well. Of course, when the weather clears up some, I need to make the drive to my open flight area to do some long range tests with all of the antennas.

If he's getting auto RTH - then he's losing control.

Nigel

But he said he can get better range by replacing the 2.4 ghz antennas. So I'm a little confused.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

There is always interaction of antennas close by each other. Absorbtion / attenuation etc.
The Argtec 5.8 is also better propagator than the stock.

Many factors.

But his posts still recount Auto RTH.

Nigel

There is always interaction of antennas close by each other. Absorbtion / attenuation etc.
The Argtec 5.8 is also better propagator than the stock.

Many factors.

But his posts still recount Auto RTH.

Nigel
Yes sir! Exactly my question! I guess there is obvious interaction between the antennas causing the control range to be extended when operating with the long 10dbi 2.4ghz antennas. This is the video that I refer to. He gets significant range gain (over 700 feet) from swapping out the 2.4ghz antennas for the amazon 10dbi antennas. In the video, he does not give any explanation for the control range extension with the 2.4ghz swap. Just to make sure that I am understanding the controller function on the P3S......the center antenna is the 5.8ghz antenna that controls the aircraft and the left and right 2.4ghz antennas are for video only?
Thanks for your response.

The exact composition of signals is open for confusion and debate as no-ome actually states clearly why two antenna for 2.4Ghz. Especially that some people who add booster only do it to one. Leaving other at normal level.

But generally accepted is that :

The AC is transmitting and receiving 2.4Ghz for both VIDEO and TELEMETRY data to the RC antenna and WiFi router.
The AC is receiving only 5.8Ghz control signals from the RC command box.
In essence the AC deals with 2.4 and 5.8Ghz as two separate entities.

Now the RC is a slightly more complex setup as it has both 2.4 and 5.8 to process with cross border commands etc.

The processing involves not only direct stick commands to the 5.8Ghz system - but also flight commands such as start motors etc. from your phone / tablet via the 2.4Ghz WiFi to the RC which then are transmitted as 5.8Ghz. But the Phone / Tablet is also sending / receiving camera, Video and other commands via WiFi 2.4Ghz to the RC which are in turn transmitted / received to / from AC in 2.4Ghz ...
Gets a bit involved doesn't it !!
Its simpler to just say Video is 2.4 ... control is 5.8 and leave aside the cross border stuff.

OK ... looking at the huge antenna guy fits in that video ... I doubt if they really make that much difference. You can only put out as much power as that goes in.
I also seem to remember that higher Dbi means a more focused RF signal giving rise to directional issues.

I have Argtec with Icarus 27Dbm power rating and I get regular 1800m or more ... my best being 2493m. That's with stock Argtec 2.4 panels and 5.8 stick.

I will be fitting a 14Dbi flat panel to the 5.8 for tests prior to my adding boosters to both 2.4 and 5.8. I am expecting steady 2000m with the 14Dbi panel ... and then 2500 to 3000m with the boosters and stock Argtec antennas.

Nigel

Yes sir! Exactly my question! I guess there is obvious interaction between the antennas causing the control range to be extended when operating with the long 10dbi 2.4ghz antennas. This is the video that I refer to. He gets significant range gain (over 700 feet) from swapping out the 2.4ghz antennas for the amazon 10dbi antennas. In the video, he does not give any explanation for the control range extension with the 2.4ghz swap. Just to make sure that I am understanding the controller function on the P3S......the center antenna is the 5.8ghz antenna that controls the aircraft and the left and right 2.4ghz antennas are for video only?
Thanks for your response.

23f11b58c64429d09682645196d37f93.jpg

Id highly advise boosting your control with a 2w amp, I got fed up of it holding me back. I went from 2300ft town / 5500ft country with a 10dbi patch to 13200ft country, still with full 100% control & video, same 10dbi patch. Im sure it will go plenty further too once i build up confidence in my battery range.

For 2.4 im just using the 27db mod and 7dbi patch antenna.

On the stock remote control for the Phantom 3 Standard, is the one external antenna the 2.4 Ghz?

No the external omni is the 5.8ghz for RC the two internal are the 2.4ghz for the wifi video link.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl