SJ4000 or Go Pro Hero (basic)

Reaction score
I was just looking on the Go Pro site and they have a new model (at least it says new) which is the Hero. No 3/4/black/white - just hero.

It sells for $129. I was looking at an SJ4000 but I like the idea of the go pro for reputation and the price difference isn't that much. I also understand that the SJ4000 is slightly different in size and I'll need to make some changes to fit it to my Walkera gimbal.

Anyone here have any thoughts on which one would be best?

Thanks!

My understanding is that the cheap gopro cannot be taken out of its case so you're going to have a hard time mounting it to the gimbal. I heard good things about SJ but one drawback is that it cannot do video out and record at the same time which mean no FPV and recording at the same time.

TomasBKK said:
I heard good things about SJ but one drawback is that it cannot do video out and record at the same time which mean no FPV and recording at the same time.
What I've been told is it does doe recording and s-video out at the same time!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0OJu4KH9Bo[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dHdhbEZEl4[/youtube]

Thanks. If the Go Pro can't be taken out of it's case then that won't work for me.

I wasn't too worried about the SJ not providing FPV.

a. I heard the range is very short anyway
b. I plan on mounting the FC40 camera on the battery door to get FPV that way. This has the advantage of not isolating movement from the view (good for video, bad for flying)

I think the latest version does do video out and record, it's still a bit hit and miss which version you get.
The picture quality is pretty good really.
The camera is a couple of mm deeper than a gopro but weight seems to be near enough for gimbals to work OK, you just need a bit of imagination to strap it in the tray.
They are a decent little camera to have anyway - I use mine quite a bit as a dashcam.

I have a SJ4000 and the video quality is great! I keep it in a Walkera gimbal with just a rubber band. Might sound oversimplified but it works perfect with no fuss and mess. I did have to add about 20 grams to the cam to get it to settle down in the gimbal but that wasn't a big deal.The one I have does vid out and record at same time. Even if you get an older one I think you can just simply upgrade the firmware which will get you vid out and record at the same time.

BlackOpsTeamster said:
I have a SJ4000 and the video quality is great! I keep it in a Walkera gimbal with just a rubber band. Might sound oversimplified but it works perfect with no fuss and mess. I did have to add about 20 grams to the cam to get it to settle down in the gimbal but that wasn't a big deal.The one I have does vid out and record at same time. Even if you get an older one I think you can just simply upgrade the firmware which will get you vid out and record at the same time.

Hey I'm looking at getting sj4000 and walkera g-2d gimbal do you recommend? Also u mention u added 20g of weight what did u use for that?also is the fpv poor with the sj4000 I was thinking of using my fc40 stock camera for gov and sj4000 cam for video?

Thanks steve

ELHEAPO said:
BlackOpsTeamster said:

Hey I'm looking at getting sj4000 and walkera g-2d gimbal do you recommend? Also u mention u added 20g of weight what did u use for that?also is the fpv poor with the sj4000 I was thinking of using my fc40 stock camera for gov and sj4000 cam for video?

Thanks steve
For what you get compared to what you pay, I'd say yeah, it's pretty good bang for the buck. As for the extra weight I just used some silly putty. Easy to apply and easy to take off. I'm still working out the bugs in my FPV. I bought a Boscam TS321 Transmitter & RC302 Receive which I was hoping to transmit to a Windows tablet but I ran out of time before I got it all working. It'll be a project for the holidays now.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl