Simulated Litchi mission to ascend a 9000 ft mountain peak will not accept waypoint altitude gains beyond 1640 vertical ft above the home point???

LZJ

Reaction score
I'm trying to create a Litchi virtual mission beginning with a home point starting ground elevation of ~7000 ft that I would like to ascend to the top of a mountain that is just over 9000 ft elevation. However, Litchi seems to have a maximal limit of 1640 vertical feet (when I would obviously need ~2000ft) when creating way points that the drone will ascend above the take off point. Is there a way around this? Other interesting thing I noticed when exporting the CSV file to Google Earth Pro despite the 1640 ft maximal ascent the simulation in 3D seems to look okay?? Thanks

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with Litchi, but it appears to be a product designed specifically for DJI-brand drones - none of which will ascend beyond 1,640 ft (500 metres). This would suggest that your virtual mission is restricted by the limitations of the drone.

Litchi seems to have a maximal limit of 1640 vertical feet when creating way points that the drone will ascend above the take of point. Is there a way around this?
It's not Litchi that's limiting you.
Your drone is limited to 1640 ft higher than the launch point.

Reactions: GFields
So what you are saying is all drones are limited to that, right? I can use Virtual Litchi Mission (VLM) or Litchi Mission Hub via chrome and both have the same limitation in the above first way point altitude (in white highlight) of 1640 ft (or 500 m). No drone is connected and/or stipulated with either the app or the web browser. But interestingly both plot the "above ground" elevation (yellow highlight) correctly that I input and either exporting the CSV or VLM to GEP and flying it seems to show an acceptable virtual 3D mission simulation above the mountain ascending slope... Just don't want to try legit flying > 2000 vertical feet and smack the side of the hill at 1640 ft...

Last edited:
So what you are saying is all drones are limited to that, right?
All DJI drones are, yes. I'm not sure I would try Litchi for this project. If it were me, I would fly it manually (if allowed by the drone).

Reactions: LZJ
All DJI drones are, yes. I'm not sure I would try Litchi for this project. If it were me, I would fly it manually (if allowed by the drone).
Sound bit of experience I'm sure. Thank you. Here's the KML if your interested. Whoops I guess I can't upload one, eh? I'll give it a whirl with a manual test flight. Line of sight would certainly be good.

Last edited:
Sound bit of experience I'm sure. Thank you. Here's the KML if your interested. Whoops I guess I can't upload one, eh? I'll give it a whirl with a manual test flight. Line of sight would certainly be good.
Upload the KML file to One Drive or Google Drive and post the shared link. I would love to take a peek.

I'm not familiar with Litchi, but it appears to be a product designed specifically for DJI-brand drones - none of which will ascend beyond 1,640 ft (500 metres). This would suggest that your virtual mission is restricted by the limitations of the drone.
I never fly over 400 feet altitude, personally, but guess I didn't know there was an actual 'hard ceiling' of 1,640 ft. Wonder why that is? Can't be to stay legal unless other countries have a different limit than the US. Seems like I've seen videos of DJI pilots flying way up over the clouds at altitudes far exceeding 500 meters. Maybe it just seemed higher....

btw, I'm completely aware of the fed 400 ft limit and have been and completely intend to be compliant with that when flying. I just don't understand it when the terrain elevation increases relative to the home take off point and the apparent limit with DJI and Litchi flight apps and what is demonstrated with the 3D simulations.... here's the link:

Star Point.kml

Last edited:
I've not tried this, but someone told me if you reset the Home Point, that will reset the AGL, so you can climb higher than 500M from launch point.

I've not tried this, but someone told me if you reset the Home Point, that will reset the AGL, so you can climb higher than 500M from launch point.
That's where I think I'm starting to go with this... but, being the complete nuube that I am, I have no idea how to do that? Can a Litchi mission be programmed to reset the home point? or would I have to land and then somehow do it? Thanks!

Last edited:
btw, I'm completely aware of the fed 400 ft limit and have been and completely intend to be compliant with that when flying. I just don't understand it when the terrain elevation increases relative to the home take off point and the apparent limit with DJI and Litchi flight apps and what is demonstrated with the 3D simulations.... here's the link:

Star Point.kml
Deselect "private" on the mission in the Mission hub and send the link

I didn't know there was an actual 'hard ceiling' of 1,640 ft. Wonder why that is? Can't be to stay legal unless other countries have a different limit than the US.
The earth is not pancake-flat.
There are many situations where you could be flying over land that is considerably higher or lower than where you launch from.

I have no idea how to do that?
It's technically possible, but not always practical.
You would need to find a safe landing spot where you still have a clear, unobstructed line of sight to be able to restart the drone.
It will also reset your home point, which is something to consider in an RTH situation.
Although it's talked about in forums, it's rarely done.

The earth is not pancake-flat.
There are many situations where you could be flying over land that is considerably higher or lower than where you launch from.
Forgive my ignorance but I'm trying to wrap my brain around this curious point. As I understand it, my DJI P4Pv2 will always "think" it's flying at a height relative to it's takeoff point elevation. So, I could takeoff from a 5,000ft mountain peak and ascend to a height of 400ft, then fly horizontally out over a valley, for instance. The drone would think it's flying at 400ft altitude when, to someone in a plane above the valley, I'm flying at an altitude over a mile high! Is this correct?

Or, does my DJI bird begin a freefall as I go further away from my launch point as it somehow "knows" the ground has gotten farther away than 1640ft? Would the drone begin descending once it somehow "sensed" an altitude of over 1640ft?

Reactions: LZJ
Forgive my ignorance but I'm trying to wrap my brain around this curious point. As I understand it, my DJI P4Pv2 will always "think" it's flying at a height relative to it's takeoff point elevation. So, I could takeoff from a 5,000ft mountain peak and ascend to a height of 400ft, then fly horizontally out over a valley, for instance. The drone would think it's flying at 400ft altitude when, to someone in a plane above the valley, I'm flying at an altitude over a mile high! Is this correct?

Or, does my DJI bird begin a freefall as I go further away from my launch point as it somehow "knows" the ground has gotten farther away than 1640ft? Would the drone begin descending once it somehow "sensed" an altitude of over 1640ft?
My reciprocal concern and lack of understanding exactly. Thank you!

Reactions: Bone4Drone
Yes, that is correct. It uses barometric pressure to determine height relative to the Home takeoff position. If the drone flies over a valley the barometric pressure shouldn't change so it thinks it is at the same height AGL.

Yes, that is correct. It uses barometric pressure to determine height relative to the Home takeoff position. If the drone flies over a valley the barometric pressure shouldn't change so it thinks it is at the same height AGL.
So it is possible to fly far above the 1640ft level. I wonder if you'd be fined for doing so or would they just fine you for being beyond the VLOS? Or both?

Barometric pressure, huh? So, if I fly into the eye of a hurricane, you're saying my P4P would go nuts? Or would it go nuts long before it got to the eye in a 100mph wind? LOL

Last edited:
Given the info, one approach to my mission might be to ascend to 400 vertical feet at my take off point before I set the RTH location. I would then be able to ascend the mountain a maximum of 400 + 1640 = 2,040, which theoretically from my take off elevation of 7000 ft, would get me to 9000 ft near the summit. Has anyone tried to set a home point while hoovering? and if so, how did you do it? Er' alternatively use the "dynamic home point" function, launch mission, mount my horse and high-tail-it up the side of the mountain 400 ft!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31