Shutting motors off

Reaction score
First flight of P3 Standard yesterday. All went well except for one landing where I couldn't immediately shut it down.

I thought you just pulled both throttle levers down and to the center just like firing up but it didn't work. I then noticed that one lever on the right was stuck in the down position. By now the P3, still running, but had tipped over. Luckily I had installed the shields and that may have saved some broken blades.

boont

First flight of P3 Standard yesterday. All went well except for one landing where I couldn't immediately shut it down.

I thought you just pulled both throttle levers down and to the center just like firing up but it didn't work. I then noticed that one lever on the right was stuck in the down position. By now the P3, still running, but had tipped over. Luckily I had installed the shields and that may have saved some broken blades.

boont
Hi yip lucky,,left stick down hard after landin shuts it down,,both sticks causing it to try a backflip,,not recomended,,:):)

boont
14906428192831129771170.jpg

boont

Welcome to the Forum!
Test the powering off the motors with no props.

The right switch stuck, should have been the Left?

Another method,
Use the left stick to lower the Phantom to the ground slowly, when it touches the ground hold left stick down to turn the motors off.

BTW, stay away from trees, they usually win in a fight. :eek:
Learn what Atti mode does, read up on RTH.

Rod

This is called CSC, such as when you start the motors. This _will_ stop the motors but it now has a 3 second delay built in. You should not be stopping the motors this way when landing. You should use the stick to descend and keep descending even after the P3 has landed. The motors will then shut off.

Ok, thanks all. I should have said "left stick was in the down position" not the "right stick". Good responses, with a picture no less. So to recap...land the P3 Standard using the left stick and keep holding the stick down to stop the motors. This avoids the 3 sec. delay of holding both sticks down (which I didn't know about).

Last edited:
Ok, thanks all. I should have said "left stick was in the down position" not the "right stick". Good responses, with a picture no less. So to recap...land the P3 Standard using the left stick and keep hold the stick down to stop the motors. This avoids the 3 sec. delay of holding both sticks down (which I didn't know about).
Even the left stick full down has the same 3 sec delay, but it's a more stable way to land and shut down.

What everyone is telling you is that the procedure you used is a built in emergency shut off, not to be used for stopping the motors on the ground.
Here's why.
As stated above, there is a 3 second delay. During that 3 seconds, you are sending 4 simultaneous commands, which the Phantom will attempt to perform, resulting in a backwards tipover.

Operating manual doesn't mention the 3 second delay and the dangers of CSC on normal landing. It should be in the same section that it mentions normal landing shutdown by throttling down.

I bring the bird in to about a 5' hover,,walk over grab the bird by the leg,and then left stick down,kills the motors,,safest way to land that I've found,,but that's another story,,lol

I bring the bird in to about a 5' hover,,walk over grab the bird by the leg,and then left stick down,kills the motors,,safest way to land that I've found,,but that's another story,,lol
Good thing to learn in case the ground is not good for landing, uneven. You might have to land in a different area than you took off, like in a low battery type thing. So the ground for landing might not be ideal.

Yep! Hand landings and hand takeoffs are next on my list of skills to learn. I figure that I will need to keep the RC box pretty stable while I'm operating it with one hand.

Yep! Hand landings and hand takeoffs are next on my list of skills to learn. I figure that I will need to keep the RC box pretty stable while I'm operating it with one hand.
That's were the neck strap come in very handy. I've never done a hand take off, but have done many hand landings. Just remember, hover just above head level (this way no eye or head injures) and after getting a death grip on one of the legs you pull the left stick full down to lock. After 3 seconds the motors will close down, hold it still and do not lower it even an inch till the props stop.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers