Should we get a refund?

Reaction score
Short version - we have a faulty drone and want a refund, DJI want to replace the battery (again) but we are not interested. Longer version below.

My wife very generously decided to get me a drone for my birthday and spoke to the local DJi representative who recommended she get the DJI Vision 2. She got it two weeks before my birthday as we specifically wanted to use it for a once in a lifetime holiday we had booked in a faraway archipelago of indonesia which was perfect place for taking some amazing drone footage.

However, the drone arrived with a faulty batter which would not charge. Three days later the DJI man replaces the battery which charges but when connected to the drone i got the 'battery error cell low voltage protection warning' message on the DJI app on my phone. So he brings a third battery, this time all seems well and i take it outside for calibration. The wifi connection kept in breaking, then the calibration would not work (horizontal fine, vertical did not work) and finally the dreaded battery error cell low voltage protection warning' message comes back up. What are the chances of getting three faulty batteries (the guy says he has not encountered more than one bad battery in 3 years, not sure i can believe him on that).

Dji guy tells me he has no more batteries and we will have to wait a few weeks. At this point my wife is distraught as she really wanted it to be an amazing present for this trip (to be honest, we won't use it much afterwards, we have twins due in a few months so this was our last hoorah), i have completely lost faith with this particular drone and no longer want to keep it so we are asking for a refund.

He is of course saying that it's the battery that is defective and he will replace it but i don't want this drone, it's been nothing but a pain in the arse and we have not been able to use it for the one thing we wanted to use it for. I think he will fight as he does not want extra stock of an old model (hence why he probably pushed it to us in the first place) but i wanted to know whether you guys think and what would be the best approach on something like this.

Many thanks

If you don't really think you're going to be using it much and after all these problems if I was you I would absolutely ask for a refund. Don't let him talk you into anything you're not comfortable with, worry about how you feel and not his commission. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I don't believe you should have to keep such a significant purchase if it has never worked correctly from the time of purchase.

It's a fun hobby, but one that has become soured by this experience, and one you'll always feel negative about especially if you won't use it much after the fact.

Try a different model if it's something you really want to bring on your trip... since you might regret missing out on that too.

But this is all wrong... batteries are available in less than "weeks". Expensive purchases should work without a fight and a wait.

The photography you should be able to get from your trip should be worth it.

And your wife SHOULD have the chance to be pleased with her surprise to you.

Happy Birthday!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Not sure where you live but under U.K. Trading standards law the item is not fit for purpose since day one and a full refund should be issued.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20