Should I get the new P4P 2.0?

Reaction score
I have seen some great footage of late taken with the P4. I came across one the other day of my city Perth, Australia. I thought no way could I ever get that quality with my Mavic Pro or Air.

So, I decided I have to go for it. Then found out DJI don’t sell the P4P anymore but the 2.0 version. Ok its slightly better, quieter is more important to me. Its selling for AUD $2,399

By the time I get 2 extra batteries, the best filters I can get, a good small back pack (not much bigger than the drone so I can still climb mountains and travel on planes) I will be up for 3K.
**** it’s a lot of money for me.
So, I need help please?
Filters?
Back pack?

But what is worrying me is the new Mavic Pro 2. Surely there is no way that will have a camera anywhere near good as the P4P 2.0. Is there?

So, 3 questions, please.

But the footage I saw the other day just blew me away.

John

I have the P4P 1.0 version. It is my go-to bird when I need the highest image and video quality. I do however always have one of my Mavics with me just because of the portability. I highly doubt the Mavic Pro 2 will have the quality of camera the P4P has, without a much higher price tag. ND filters are a must I would recommend THESE POLAR PRO FILTERS. A backpack is optional, the case the P4P comes in is decent enough to get you buy till your wallet recoups.

But what is worrying me is the new Mavic Pro 2. Surely there is no way that will have a camera anywhere near good as the P4P 2.0. Is there?
Nothing's certain but all indications are that the M2 will get a slightly larger sensor, but still much smaller than the P4 pro.
i-XVbML6P-M.jpg

That is very reassuring Meta4. Thanks for your help.
Love the photography! Odd how the flora in WA is very similar but not the same as in the eastern states. I recognise it but there are subtle differences.
Appreciate your graph, explains a lot.

Well I took the dive. Only one business day to get here. Funny how fast companies can be when they want your money.
I have a questions about the filters you recommended THESE POLAR PRO FILTERS
I am not used to these numbers. I was about to order a 4nd for low light, 8, 16 and 32 for very bright days
But the ones you recommended are ND64, ND128, ND256
So only one high one for video? I only do video, just very occasionally stills. Why just the one high number ND64. What about when the light is low or quiet low?

John

Reactions: Ripper7620
Well I took the dive. Only one business day to get here. Funny how fast companies can be when they want your money.
I have a questions about the filters you recommended THESE POLAR PRO FILTERS
I am not used to these numbers. I was about to order a 4nd for low light, 8, 16 and 32 for very bright days
But the ones you recommended are ND64, ND128, ND256
So only one high one for video? I only do video, just very occasionally stills. Why just the one high number ND64. What about when the light is low or quiet low?

John
The link that you provided are for longer exposure stills, and I have these, but haven't had a chance to try them out. For video with my P4P, I usually only need ND8-PL & ND16-PL filters for daylight video.

John: The quality of the P4P video is great. We mainly fly/film in South Africa, which is very similar lighting to your situation as I also worked in Australia for a number of years. The PolarPro filters we use are ND4/PL, ND8/PL, and ND16/PL.

What I have been using with the Mavic Pro and Air are ND4/PL, ND8/PL, and ND16/PL and ND32/P.
When I go out in the bright sunlight I need the 32. With this in mind the closest I could find are these. I got them three days ago thinking I would get the 32 later on. But you don't seem to use them are they not needed on the P4P?
3 filters.jpg

What I have been using with the Mavic Pro and Air are ND4/PL, ND8/PL, and ND16/PL and ND32/P.
When I go out in the bright sunlight I need the 32. With this in mind the closest I could find are these. I got them three days ago thinking I would get the 32 later on. But you don't seem to use them are they not needed on the P4P?
View attachment 98949
Yes, they are needed, but because the P4P has an adjustable aperture, unlike the Mavic series, you can get away with ND4-16PL filters, as opposed to having to use up to an ND32PL, like on the Mavic Pro series. I have the same filters in the picture you posted, and they're great, I have never needed anything above a ND16PL.

African wildlife one of my bucket lists is to go to SA and take footage with drones of wildlife.
I spent a few weeks in the Timbavati Game Reserve in 2012 long before I had drones. Are there many restrictions to do drone footage? Is there a site you can send me to for regulations for game reserves?

I've got a set of filters (8,16,32) made by Neeweg. Is it a big difference between Polarpro (about $100) and Neeweg ($19)? As I know, Neeweg is not polorised. Is it important? And I have no idea when I need to use them and what is the benefit.

Hi mandbat, its a matter of what you want to do with time and effort.
I do a lot of footage over water, occasionally, in it. So I need polarised filters to counter-act glare that can ruin a good session.
You can over come this in post and not use a polarised filter.
Polarizer Filters for DJI Drone Photography? Maybe Not.

I cant be bothered to do much post unless I have to. Like I take a great vid but its way over exposed and I want it.
So for me I would rather fly and create vids than spend time in post. So I use pl filters.
How Does a Polarizer Help Improve my images? -PolarPro

They are a bit more expensive but for me they are essential. You have to decide for yourself how you spend your time and effort.
Safe and happy flying.
**** I learnt a lot in responding to you :)

Reactions: mandbat

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.