Shipping a Phantom 4 (with battery attached?)

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm seeking a little advice as what I have found so far is a little vague surrounding my current situation.

I'm currently in Mexico after travelling from a vacation in Cuba. My initial plan was to head back to the UK for Christmas but I've instead decided to stay in Mexico for a few months! Anyway, when I left for Cuba, I left my drone at home. Now I would like to ship it to Mexico in order to use it here but I understand there are some regulations regarding the shipment of batteries. As I understand, shipping Lion batteries like the ones found in the phantom 4 on their own, is permitted, but are subjected to strict regulations regarding their shipment. So for that reason, I have decided to leave the spare batteries at home, and instead ask a family member to send the phantom 4 in its case, with the single battery attached to the aircraft, fully discharged, along with my laptop in the same shipment box.

From what I read, this shouldn't be a problem. However, before I book the shipment, I wanted to seek your advice as what I'm reading mainly concerns the shipment of lion batteries on their own. The last thing I want is it to be stopped at customs and sent back. I would love to send it with the spare batteries, however, I feel that with me currently being in Mexico, it really isn't worth the risk.

Thanks

Chris

You will be fine if you discharge the batteries and place them in LiPo battery cases. Amazon has them. I would r move the battery from the bird and place that in a LiPo as well

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

You will be fine if you discharge the batteries and place them in LiPo battery cases. Amazon has them. I would r move the battery from the bird and place that in a LiPo as well

Are you sure? From the reading that I have done, there are very strict guidelines regarding sending batteries in the aircrafts stowed compartment that aren't attached to the product in which they are meant for. Would it not be best to discharge and leave it attached to the craft?

Do you have a source for this?

Thanks for your reply.

Are you sure? From the reading that I have done, there are very strict guidelines regarding sending batteries in the aircrafts stowed compartment that aren't attached to the product in which they are meant for. Would it not be best to discharge and leave it attached to the craft?

Do you have a source for this?

Thanks for your reply.
My P4 shipped with two batteries and were at one bar each when I got it. It's shipped UPS 2nd day from NYC to Denver via air freight. Maybe freight vs. commercial passenger jets have different rules?

Sorry for not clarifying. You MUST take the batteries in your carry on and stored in LiPo cases. You cannot send it in checked baggage. If you want to double check then call your airline. I fly united and that is what they tell me.

Here is the United policy

Personal devices (except for e-cigarettes and personal vaporizers) installed with a lithium battery of less than 100 watt hours are permitted in carry-on and checked baggage. Loose lithium batteries are not permitted in checked baggage on any United flight. Each spare lithium battery in carry-on baggage must be individually protected to prevent short circuits. To do this, you can place each battery in original retail packaging, place each battery in a separate plastic bag or protective pouch, or insulate the batteries by taping over exposed terminals. Spare batteries must not come in contact with metal objects, such as coins, keys or jewelry, and you should take steps to prevent crushing, puncturing, or putting pressure on the battery.

In most cases, up to two larger lithium batteries (more than 100 watt hours, but not exceeding 160 watt hours) are permitted in carry-on baggage if the terminals are properly covered or insulated. If you are traveling with a battery-operated mobility device, please see our Special Travel Needs section.

If carry-on baggage is checked at the gate, any spare lithium batteries must be removed.

For the most updated information regarding lithium batteries, visit SafeTravel.dot.gov and the FAA's website.

But guys, I'm not flying with the bag. I'm having it shipped from the UK to Mexico. I'm in Mexico, my drone is in the UK.

If you are overly worried about the battery, maybe ship drone without a battery and buy one in Mexico, then when you return home you will have another spare battery so you can fly longer...

Hi guys, I'm seeking a little advice as what I have found so far is a little vague surrounding my current situation.

I'm currently in Mexico after travelling from a vacation in Cuba. My initial plan was to head back to the UK for Christmas but I've instead decided to stay in Mexico for a few months! Anyway, when I left for Cuba, I left my drone at home. Now I would like to ship it to Mexico in order to use it here but I understand there are some regulations regarding the shipment of batteries. As I understand, shipping Lion batteries like the ones found in the phantom 4 on their own, is permitted, but are subjected to strict regulations regarding their shipment. So for that reason, I have decided to leave the spare batteries at home, and instead ask a family member to send the phantom 4 in its case, with the single battery attached to the aircraft, fully discharged, along with my laptop in the same shipment box.

From what I read, this shouldn't be a problem. However, before I book the shipment, I wanted to seek your advice as what I'm reading mainly concerns the shipment of lion batteries on their own. The last thing I want is it to be stopped at customs and sent back. I would love to send it with the spare batteries, however, I feel that with me currently being in Mexico, it really isn't worth the risk.

Thanks

Chris
You may remember DJI shipped your bird to you with one battery in the bird and extra batteries in separate cardboard boxes by ups. At least that is the way mine came. All came in one big box.
I don't know why you could not do the same.

I don't have a source to quote, but I know how I received my batteries when I received my P4 and my P4P from Amazon and DJI, respectively. In both cases, they were drained to below 50% and shipped inside a plastic wrap that was inside a simple cardboard box just big enough to slide the battery in. That's it. Both shipments began and ended in the USA.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers