Sharpen your skills

Reaction score
I always want to continue to get better at everything I do. I want to be better at my job and better at my hobbies. So in an effort to continue to be a better pilot I am always looking for new "exercises" to do to sharpen or add new skills. So what have/do you guys do to become better pilots?

So far for me its been just get more time behind the sticks. Also I have forced myself to fly strictly in ATTI mode for an entire battery. I will do that several times a week just so I can fly without the assistance of GPS taking over and doing the work for me. As far as time behind the sticks. I usually fly about 2ish hours a week. And that is all time in the air not time spent setting up or driving to a place.

I fly patterns,
Figure 8's ( facing forward, or facing a certain dirrection )
Square patterns ( facing forward, and facing dirrection of travel )
Fly around things ( trees, mailbox, ect ) facing it as I circle around it
Fly with phantom facing me
Fly with phantom facing away
Fly with phantom facing ( left/right )

This is the best way to learn orientation!
( In my opinion )

I also film my sons , neighborhood basketball games from above and
Off to the side!

I also like to fly through obstacles, like between trees,
Under ladders, or bridges, through holes, ect.

Anything that is difficult, start slow, then progressively
Speed up!

Take care, Fly safe!

I had to realize that I'm just not that great at flying, so I try to use other skills to offset my weak flying. It's hell getting old...

Buk said:

Those are the same thing that JDot suggested....I have seen that but for me flying in a square is pretty boring and basic. doesnt matter which direction i face. The figure 8 is a bit more challenging but how many times are you going to fly in a figure 8? I do the same thing as JDot though and fly around trees and between them and film things going on and so forth. I just wondered what you guys do.

I do have to disagree with "Original poster" though. Just spending time flying doesnt improve you. It can however train you to do things poorly and wrongly. If all i ever do is fly in GPS in an open field then i never get any better with filming or in tight areas.

I saw a youtube video of a guy flying his blade350, he was able to do all kinds of flips and twirls with the thing. Made me wonder if the phantom is capable. I'm assuming you could not do this in atti or gps mode, but if it is possible, does anyone know the control sequence to perform a flip?

You have to switch to MANUAL MODE in NAZA-m,
To perform flips, barrel rolls!
( looks like full right stick ( any direction )
And feather throttle stick to compensate!
( ie: as it goes upside-down let off throttle, then increase
Throttle as it levels out! ( keeping right stick pinned, until level again!

Search YouTube!
( phantom flips )

Take care, fly safe

I like testing my skills by trying to land on small spaces and flying through stuff like a series of small hula hoops or between poles. You'll be amazed at how hard it can be just to land on the bottom of a trash can, also try doing these things at a distance once you get better for even more of a challenge.

If you have the nerve, fly in tight areas and through trees. That's what I did and it has helped me a lot. The downside is that I crashed a lot and destroyed 4 gimbals. I finally got two back from DJI last Monday.
...And for all the crap the DJI gets for their lack of customer service, I have to give them kudos for repairing my gimbals for free. I never mentioned the gimbals were defective. I was completely honest in mentioning that pilot error was the reason, and they still took care of me. Granted it took about a month. Overall, I'm pleased with DJI.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl