Sharing one of the flying techniques i'm learning

I watched the first video and thought that was impossible. I figured you had to have two cameras on the bird! I watched the second video and am now totally impressed. Amazing flying skills and more importantly, you must have nerves of steel to even attempt that! Kudos my friend! :)

Reactions: Lhonskie18
I watched the first video and thought that was impossible. I figured you had to have two cameras on the bird! I watched the second video and am now totally impressed. Amazing flying skills and more importantly, you must have nerves of steel to even attempt that! Kudos my friend! :)

Thank you. I made some small tutorials and to answer some questions some viewers asked before. They found out, i dont use prop guards and any aircraft feature. It's all manual flying. Hope you find my channel informative. Happy flying!

Why the hurrah for something so basic? Flying manually is a must and the first thing you should lean rather than the pre-programmed modes.
If you consider flying in this terrain to be basic, I'd love to watch some of your videos. I always enjoy watching what I consider to be experts in their craft... :)

thanks for sharing. cool video.

First, it is basic. Anyone flying a drone should always perfect manual flying skills before depending on the in-my-opinion useless flying modes. Doing this does not make you an expert, it simply helps you become adept at flying. The OP has learned some good basic skills and has shared this. Manual flying does't make you an 'expert', it simply helps you to fly more safely and capture better video.

Second, along with videos on my channel I continue to be involved in wildlife conservation using Mavic's, Phantoms and Matrices with FLIR in large part because I knew the basics of flying. I'm no 'expert', but I can fly backwards, forwards and sideways and learned to safely take off from a moving ship in the dark... Haha. I captured some of the FLIR video (shown here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
) as well as clips in other Operation Milagro videos. I am able to do so because I know the basics of manual flying, flying backwards like the OP has shown being one of them.

The OP's video is well done and it shows what anyone flying a DJI drone should strive to be able to do with a flip of the coin without using intelligent flight modes. I hope he continues to test and challenge his manual flying skills, he will be better off in the long run doing so. My two pesos...

You are correct. Guess what? Until now I dont even know how to use the orbit feature of the drone. Maybe I'm lazy learning the features of this aircraft but to be honest, I'm fine with manual maneuver. I really get the shots I want. I have some pull back videos in my channel.

I can tell you didn't fly forward and simply reverse the footage in post.. the branches moving from the prop wash tell me you really DID fly backwards!

Thanks. I'm still thinking of other maneuvers. Maybe flying under the bridge pullback shot in Atti mode. Need to upgrade my rc first. Happy flying!

The thought of flying under a bridge in ATTI mode makes me cringe. I was teaching my wife how to fly in ATTI mode on a windy day today and she nearly lost the drone--I had to seize control and bring it back within LOS.

Concrete. The gps under is only 4-6 and can't lock.

I'm wondering how the compass didn't go haywire under all that (likely steel) reinforced concrete. I'm reluctant to fly under any metal structure because of the stories I've ready where Phantoms lose directional control after getting too close to a large metal structure.

I'm wondering how the compass didn't go haywire under all that (likely steel) reinforced concrete. I'm reluctant to fly under any metal structure because of the stories I've ready where Phantoms lose directional control after getting too close to a large metal structure.

It depends on how close you fly to the structure and many other variables. We have a steel truss type bridge here in an area where we fly and it's a huge rush/pleasure to fly under, through, and over this steel structure. Flying an Inspire, Mavic, and Phantom3 Pro and they've all handled this type of flying without a single glitch/error.

36520875.jpg

Reactions: Basspig
It depends on how close you fly to the structure and many other variables. We have a steel truss type bridge here in an area where we fly and it's a huge rush/pleasure to fly under, through, and over this steel structure. Flying an Inspire, Mavic, and Phantom3 Pro and they've all handled this type of flying without a single glitch/error.

36520875.jpg

Well that's reassuring. How fast were you flying as you passed under the bridge? I can imagine if you're moving pretty fast and the time under the structure is only a second or two, that it wouldn't disrupt GPS, though not sure how the compass would react.

Reactions: BigAl07
Well that's reassuring. How fast were you flying as you passed under the bridge? I can imagine if you're moving pretty fast and the time under the structure is only a second or two, that it wouldn't disrupt GPS, though not sure how the compass would react.

Flying under and over as a nice smooth pace (we were shooting video and pics for the Chamber of Commerce) but flying "through it" was much slower for obvious reasons LOL.

No way other than ATTI to fly through this old covered bridge. ( Lots of dust from the prop wash as well )

Bridge_1.jpg

Bridge_2.jpg

Bridge_3.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic