Sharaing an Experience

M

Melvoid

So, I don't know if I'm asking for advice or consolation or anything at all, but I just feel the need to share. I was at a wedding recently. I was asked to bring my 'copter and get some video and still shots. During the ceremony itself, I was also playing music, so for that section, I wouldn't be able to fly.

Another guest offered to do it for me. Hesitant to hand over one of my more expensive toys to a total stranger, I humored him a bit by asking him how much experience he had... what kind of quadcopter he owned, etc. None, and none. As politely as I know how, I said it probably wouldn't be a good idea to turn him loose with 2 minutes of instruction and with me nowhere near. (regardless of his answers, I never had any intentions of letting him fly it, by the way)

He started to get irate about it... How hard can it be, etc? I remained polite and explained that it takes practice and it's expensive and on and on. He eventually stomped off, but not before letting me know I'm an... uhhhh, shall we say ...the final portal in the digestive process.

Really?!?? If he had a Porsche, would I have the right to get mad at him for not letting me take it for a spin? In all fairness, he may have been celebrating a bit; but that's all the more reason not to let him fly the thing.

Like I said... just sharing. I'd like to hear your feelings, but I don't need any advice. My mind isn't going to change. I wonder if he told the parents of the bride... the reason we were there in the first place... I kinda hope he did.

ms

Thank you. I could just see that thing tearing into the crowd or the bride or the lake... or me....

I've only allowed a few select friends have control of my P4. And each time it was already in the air high enough not to hit anything and out in our open field.
And to add. Each were cautious and respectful because they understand what it is.

I've only allowed a few select friends have control of my P4. And each time it was already in the air high enough not to hit anything and out in our open field.
And to add. Each were cautious and respectful because they understand what it is.
Yup. Two people for me. My son was one and they guy I sold my Phantom 1 to. I taught him how to get it going... but my son, I did the same thing. I got it up in the air in an open field, told him to just let go of the sticks if anything weird happened, and hovered over him as he flew it.

Letting someone fly your UAS for the first time in an open field away from people/things is risky enough but at a venue? That's ballsy just to ask let alone "insist".

The only people that fly my UAS are ones who have experience or who I am training. All others are LOOK but no touchy!!

Now if someone wants to fly bad enough to put a $1,000 deposit down up front.. that's a whole other story.

Letting someone fly your UAS for the first time in an open field away from people/things is risky enough but at a venue? That's ballsy just to ask let alone "insist".

The only people that fly my UAS are ones who have experience or who I am training. All others are LOOK but no touchy!!

Now if someone wants to fly bad enough to put a $1,000 deposit down up front.. that's a whole other story.
I agree. A friend of mine recently bought a very expensive car. I've had many rides in it, but I will NEVER ask if I can drive it... unless, of course, he offers.

Interestingly enough, the only person I've ever offered to let fly my 'copter is my wife, who immediately said "No thanks." I admit, I was relieved.

You did the right thing, I have a cousin and last month we were camping and he really wanted to try and I managed to explain that it takes some practice and the conditions are not good that day for his first time, he understood and one day in a open field I will coach him for a flight. I also told him be prepared to dish out 2 grand, not to the fact you may crash it but rather after you experience this you may get addicted and you will want one of your own.

You did the right thing, I have a cousin and last month we were camping and he really wanted to try and I managed to explain that it takes some practice and the conditions are not good that day for his first time, he understood and one day in a open field I will coach him for a flight. I also told him be prepared to dish out 2 grand, not to the fact you may crash it but rather after you experience this you may get addicted and you will want one of your own.

Yup. I bought a cheapie... lost it in the woods after a day or two, but that's all it took. Now I'm on my second Phantom.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT