Sensor cleaning routine?

Reaction score
Hi all -
is there a way to run a camera sensor cleaning, similar to what normal digital cameras can do? I'm having this bad problem with white/blue spots showing up in low-light areas of my images (different in each photo, so I don't think it's "dead" or "hot" pixels) and I want to try everything i can before I have to send back my new P3.

Thanks
DJI_0044_small.jpg

wow! That's not a sensor cleaning, that's either defective or the camera settings are all f'd up. Try resetting the camera settings (Fn menu on the tablet application)

Thanks ctp,
That seemed to help a bit, but didn't eliminate the problem entirely. I also set the white balance to "auto" and this reduced the number of ugly pixels i can see on the live feed.

I've sent an email to my vendor, hoping for a non-send back solution since i'm on my way out to a long trip tomorrow!

DJI has a utility called DJI Cleaner v1.1

http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3/download

Frankly I don't know in detail what it does. I think it might identify and clean troubled pixels - but it does not do anything to the camera. This is used after the (DNG RAW) photos are taken.

I always run my DNG Raw photos thru DJI Cleaner v1.1 before importing into Lightroom. I'm on a Mac - and one nice effect of using the DJI Cleaner is, that after "cleaning" I can preview the DNG-files with Preview. The Mac viewer can't view the "non-cleaned" DNGs.

Thanks PhantomFilters -- I ran the cleaner app and it actually seemed to increase the problem. Possibly because these spots are several pixels, not just one pixel noise that the cleaner is designed to eliminate.

Have messed with the white balance, which helped a lot, and also set Anti-Flicker to Auto which nearly eliminated the rest of the problem. Now looking forward to next flight to see if the problem recurs - images look ok on the live feed now (inside the house with no props on!)

Really mysterious.
It's not dead pixels - and it appears to be in some sort of pattern rather than random.
Is it some sort of interference?

I'm afraid that the sensor or memory is going bad.. This is not normal.

I've contacted the vendor... is there anything else i can do?

How long have you had it? Most of the time dealers take care of doa.. If not you will have to contact your nearest support center.

Sounds like bad news :(

A quick question; can you explain what the DJI Cleaner actually does?

Thanks

The DJI cleaner removes hot or dead pixels from the raw images.

I've had it for about a week, only 30 min flight time. Unfortunately I've already left for a trip in a country where I'm quite sure there is not support centre.... will follow up when i get home I suppose.

I've had it for about a week, only 30 min flight time. Unfortunately I've already left for a trip in a country where I'm quite sure there is not support centre.... will follow up when i get home I suppose.

Truly sorry man.. I wish there was an easy fix but this doesn't look good.

The DJI cleaner removes hot or dead pixels from the raw images.

I see, thanks. One other (interesting and important to me) side-effect is, that the after running the DNGs thru the DJI Cleaner, the output DNG-files can be viewed with Quicklook and Preview (default image viewers on Mac). I cannot view the DNGs that come straight out of the camera with Quicklook or Preview - and I need something like Adobe Lightroom.

So somehow the DJI Cleaner must do some other changes to the files.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic