Self contained strobe?

Reaction score
I've been searching for this for quite some time but I cannot seem to find one.
I'm looking for a small self-contained LED strobe that I can mount on the phantom's battery door to help with orientation. I don't want one that has to connect to the lipo battery, I need it to be self contained and run on its own small battery. It must be small enough that I can mount it with double sided tape on the battery door and turn on and off manually. Any ideas?

Basically I don't want to have to get into the Phantom to wire anything up. I just want a simple flashing strobe small and light enough to stick on the outside of the craft.

I am looking for the same thing...for the same reason.....altho in my case I am happy to power it from the main battery as weight is (always) the critical issue and 1) the energy drain of a strobe will be negligible compared to 2) the extra weight = lost flight time of a self-contained battery. You can/should be able to fish out the AUX power cable without opening the hood if you use needle-nosed tweezers. Or...you can lose your virginity and pop the hood. Ge t right tools....a 2 mm hex allen wrench and a set of small Phillips head screwdrivers. You will inevitably either give up on the Phantom and RC copters OR start adding mods and will live inside the hood almost as much as outside.

The most obvious source for you I can think of is the strap-on bicycle strobes....but they are not made with weight issues in mind. I'm still looking as well.

Don't make it so complicated. Get one of these for a few bucks DJI PHANTOM 500lux Super Bright White Head Light kit. ...500lux off ebay, drill a small hole in the battery door or beside it to put the wire through which plugs into the balance lead on the battery and a touch of silicon glue. Very bright, no weight, no extra battery bulk, and cheap.

In scuba stores you may find self contained strobe lights. The problem is that they usually become activated by means of wet contacts; but I don't think that will be a difficult issue to solve.

Alberto

I already HAVE the DJI PHANTOM 500lux Super Bright White Head Light. It is very good, but WAY OUT THERE, looking back into the sun...against a bright sky background....there are still uncertainties. I think a flashing strobe, On-0ff might show up better. Won't know until I get one and try it out in real life and compare.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1