Security Screening at Dubai airport terminal

My daughter (who is a professional broadcast cameraperson) came to Bangkok from UK on Emirates via Dubai and was told at london LHR check in to remove all drone batteries and put them in her carry on bag and Dubai was "no problem" - She took two (in fireproof cases) and put them in her carry on bag and left one in the drone as per the regs and - of course - at Dubai they took them off her despite loud protestations. Last month I had a roll of gaffer tape removed too at Dubai. 2) She complained to Emirates staff at Dubai and was basically told to piss off, then it got even worse. At Bangkok the third bag with spares drone (DJI P3) that cost 400 pounds extra baggage to transport didnt turn up. It came a day later, on opening it we found the drone missing and controller, HDMI to SDI converter, cables and a bunch of adult diapers we use for packing - all gone!!. So if you are in Dubai transiting and you see a goatherder on a camel running around with a P3 drone and a nappy (diaper) gaffer-taped over his head you know who sue, we are suing Emirates over a breached duty-of-care principle in a UK Small Claims court as has also been done recently successfully by a guy who lost his bags too....

Last edited:
My daughter (who is a professional broadcast cameraperson) came to Bangkok from UK on Emirates via Dubai and was told at london LHR check in to remove all drone batteries and put them in her carry on bag and Dubai was "no problem" - She took two (in fireproof cases) and put them in her carry on bag and left one in the drone as per the regs and - of course - at Dubai they took them off her despite loud protestations. Last month I had a roll of gaffer tape removed too at Dubai. 2) She complained to Emirates staff at Dubai and was basically told to piss off, then it got even worse. At Bangkok the third bag with spares drone (DJI P3) that cost 400 pounds extra baggage to transport didnt turn up. It came a day later, on opening it we found the drone missing and controller, HDMI to SDI converter, cables and a bunch of adult diapers we use for packing - all gone!!. So if you are in Dubai transiting and you see a goatherder on a camel running around with a P3 drone and a nappy (diaper) gaffer-taped over his head you know who sue, we are suing Emirates over a breached duty-of-care principle in a UK Small Claims court as has also been done recently successfully by a guy who lost his bags too....
Well in the end I did fly with my PJ3 Professional. I placed the drone in checked in luggage without any batteries and carried on 3 batteries in carry on luggage in lipo bags and with the terminals taped. I passed through security at Dubai both going to London and returning from London to Australia without incident. Lucky for me because what you have experienced is what I had heard and read from others which is why I was so worried. My worries were unfounded but again after hearing of your experience I was obviously lucky. I do not know what I will do next time I need to fly through Dubai. Nice to have heard from you.

Well in the end I did fly with my PJ3 Professional. I placed the drone in checked in luggage without any batteries and carried on 3 batteries in carry on luggage in lipo bags and with the terminals taped. I passed through security at Dubai both going to London and returning from London to Australia without incident. Lucky for me because what you have experienced is what I had heard and read from others which is why I was so worried. My worries were unfounded but again after hearing of your experience I was obviously lucky. I do not know what I will do next time I need to fly through Dubai. Nice to have heard from you.

Hi mate, yep sheer luck, she returned to UK and put her new drone and batteries firmly in the hold and took her sub machine gun and hand grenades through security as per normal. The newer X rays systems can differentiate between organic and inorganic material and types of metal. They found my gaffer tape and her batteries. The more people post about their experiences in that awful asxswxipe airport the better. Glad you had good luck indeed... best wishes from sunny (happy) Thailand if you are near Hua Hin (I am 20km south of it) call me via here and drop in for a cold beer and a bit of no-hassle flying. :) Paul The Pom and Lash Wynter the singing pom! (PS we live a bit inland (see pics) Pran Buri, the "Villa Dee" is on the coast owned by friends Pran Buri is MUCH better than Hua Hin....

Attachments

• DJI_0109.JPG
    DJI_0109.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 282
  • DJI_0104.JPG
    DJI_0104.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 330
Last edited:
Hi mate, yep sheer luck, she returned to UK and put her new drone and batteries firmly in the hold and took her sub machine gun and hand grenades through security as per normal. The newer X rays systems can differentiate between organic and inorganic material and types of metal. They found my gaffer tape and her batteries. The more people post about their experiences in that awful asxswxipe airport the better. Glad you had good luck indeed... best wishes from sunny (happy) Thailand if you are near Hua Hin (I am 20km south of it) call me via here and drop in for a cold beer and a bit of no-hassle flying. :) Paul The Pom and Lash Wynter the singing pom! (PS we live a bit inland (see pics) Pran Buri, the "Villa Dee" is on the coast owned by friends Pran Buri is MUCH better than Hua Hin....
Thanks Paul, that Phantom sure took a great picture. I cannot understand why people are so paranoid about them. Hopefully the next time I fly thru Dubai drones will be more acceptable as obviously luck was on my side. USA & Canada next year then back to Britain the year after. Thailand unfortunately is still a while off but looks like a very pretty (and warm) place to live. Very happy with my P3p...not enough extras in the P4 so may upgrade with a P5 in the future. Great flying cameras which should be a part of everyones checked in baggage (Drone) and carry on baggage (batteries). Greg.

Thanks Paul, that Phantom sure took a great picture. I cannot understand why people are so paranoid about them. Hopefully the next time I fly thru Dubai drones will be more acceptable as obviously luck was on my side. USA & Canada next year then back to Britain the year after. Thailand unfortunately is still a while off but looks like a very pretty (and warm) place to live. Very happy with my P3p...not enough extras in the P4 so may upgrade with a P5 in the future. Great flying cameras which should be a part of everyones checked in baggage (Drone) and carry on baggage (batteries). Greg.

hahah yep im 65 and retired in Thailand, I let my daughter do the flying (then I can blame her) , safest country in the world, they shoot the lying politicans...:)

Have been thru dubai witha p4 in a hard case and 4 batteries on way to europe from australia, they didn.t even ask to open case, on way back they asked to open the case but then waved me thru

Reactions: Paul Wynter

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic