Security Screening at Dubai airport terminal

Reaction score
I have been checking existing threads about Phantom 3 Lithium Batteries. Qantas Australia guidelines allow as carry on baggage but on arrival at Dubai passengers are forced to leave aircraft and re-enter the terminal through security screening. Qantas Australia have told me they have no problems but cannot answer for Dubai Security Screening. Has anybody on this forum passed through Dubai security screening with Phantom 3 Pro 68Wh batteries and had difficulties. We are flying out in two weeks and do not want my batteries confiscated at Dubai Airport. Have not been able to get a sensible answer from anyone yet but interested to hear of personal experiences from members travelling through Dubai airport.

Has anybody on this forum passed through Dubai security screening with Phantom 3 Pro 68Wh batteries and had difficulties. We are flying out in two weeks and do not want my batteries confiscated at Dubai Airport. Have not been able to get a sensible answer from anyone yet but interested to hear of personal experiences from members travelling through Dubai airport.
Dubai is the world's biggest international passenger airport. They aren't amateurs there.
Half of the planes there are Emirates and their website doesn't appear to have any extra conditions on batteries.
http://content.emirates.com/downloads/ek/pdfs/dangerous_goods/EN_EK_1890_Dangerous_Goods_2016.pdf
I think you'll find that they stick to the IATA standard: http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/passenger-lithium-battery.pdf

Reactions: Digdat0
Dubai is the world's biggest international passenger airport. They aren't amateurs there.
Half of the planes there are Emirates and their website doesn't appear to have any extra conditions on batteries.
http://content.emirates.com/downloads/ek/pdfs/dangerous_goods/EN_EK_1890_Dangerous_Goods_2016.pdf
I think you'll find that they stick to the IATA standard: http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/passenger-lithium-battery.pdf
Thankyou Moderator. Your reply is comforting. You would think I would have to be very unlucky. The reason I have felt insecure is because when communicating with Qantas Dangerous Goods section they state they do not have a problem with the batteries but then add a disclaimer that they have no control over Dubai Security Screening. A rediculous situation where all the members of IATA which are airlines say it is ok but they do not control security screening who act independently. I am going to risk carrying four batteries worth $1000 AUD and keep my fingers crossed but it would be nice to hear from members who had passed through DUBAI security screening with these batteries and experienced no problems. Thankyou again for your input and links.

Reactions: Digdat0
Might be worth doing a proper check with relevant authorities in Dubai whether you can take a drone into the country.
My brother is in the royal navy and had to meet his ship in Dubai last september.
He took his drone with him in carry on bag and had it confiscated at customs and was told it was illegal to take drones into Dubai (even tho he was taking it on board ship and not flying in Dubai.
He eventually got it back in April but it was in considerably more pieces that when he left it.
So with checking.

Meta4 or Moderator,
Please see reply from Dubai Police below:
المطار - الاقتراحات والشكاوي والاستفسارات‎ <[email protected]>
2:39 PM (20 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me, Dubai
cleardot.gif

Dear sir,

Thanks for contacting Dubai police, we need to inform you that these tools are forbidden and not allowed to carry by Flight companies lows.

Best regards,

Dubai Police

I have been trying to get a common sense answer but the above is a reply received from Dubai which is brief but how can one risk flying with a DJI drone with this response. Surely there must be many flying with their quadcopters through Dubai.

Meta4 or Moderator,
Please see reply from Dubai Police below:
المطار - الاقتراحات والشكاوي والاستفسارات

Thanks for contacting Dubai police, we need to inform you that these tools are forbidden and not allowed to carry by Flight companies lows.
Dubai Police

I have been trying to get a common sense answer but the above is a reply received from Dubai which is brief but how can one risk flying with a DJI drone with this response. Surely there must be many flying with their quadcopters through Dubai.
I wouldn't take that as reliable information.
Often if you ask people it's easiest for them to say no.
It's not a police matter (in most countries) and I suspect that whoever ay Dubai police either wouldn't know or doesn't understand.
He may be confused with the prohibition on sending lithium batteries in air cargo and possibly isn't very good with English.
As the Emirates Airlines policy for batteries shows, it is not forbidden to take a few batteries.
If you called your local police station and asked them about taking batteries through Tullamarine, you might not get accurate information either.

It's not a police matter (in most countries) and I suspect that whoever ay Dubai police either wouldn't know or doesn't understand.
He may be confused with the prohibition on sending lithium batteries in air cargo and possibly isn't very good with English.
As the Emirates Airlines policy for batteries shows, it is not forbidden to take a few batteries.
If you called your local police station and asked them about taking batteries through Tullamarine, you might not get accurate information either.

Thanks Meta4. I think this is a valuable discussion for others too. I contacted Dubai Police because I was informed that they are in charge of Dubai security screening. I was informed that by Dubai Airport Customer Care and the Dangerous Goods Dept at Qantas so where does one go from here. I am hoping I will get unundated from members on this forum stating they have gone through Dubai Security screening with their Phantom and batteries and it is easy....It has not happenned yet other than Bob Hyslops comments above who said Dubai security confiscated his brothers drone. Anyone out there with experiences?

Meta 4. After hours I have just managed to phone directly security screening at Dubai Airport. I have been told verbally that they will take the drone from me and the batteries. The only batteries they will allow through are for medical purposes with a certificate. So to put it simply. Qantas will let me take it on the plane to Heathrow but when plane refuels at Dubai the Security people will confiscate my drone and batteries. How bad is that. Anyone else out there heard of this?

Reactions: Paul Wynter
I think people are concentrating on whether you can take your Phantom INTO Dubai, but from the wording of your post it reads as if you're just connecting there (although made to go through an additional screening before moving on). If that's the case I don't see why they should hassle you if you follow IATA guidelines. In any case, carry a printed set to show the airport officials in case you're challenged.
If you're going into Dubai as a final destination however, I wouldn't bring it with me.
EDIT: did some searching and came across this, so there is a procedure if Dubai IS your final destination:
Apply for a drone permit in Dubai

Last edited:
Meta 4. After hours I have just managed to phone directly security screening at Dubai Airport. I have been told verbally that they will take the drone from me and the batteries. The only batteries they will allow through are for medical purposes with a certificate. So to put it simply. Qantas will let me take it on the plane to Heathrow but when plane refuels at Dubai the Security people will confiscate my drone and batteries. How bad is that. Anyone else out there heard of this?
That might be the case or it might just be what someone is telling you.
At this distance it's hard to know what the real situation is.
Wait to hear from people that have actually transited at Dubai.
Since it's the world's busiest international passenger airport there have to have been a few people take batteries through.

Mod, Would a new forum, with sub forums, country by country for known import laws, customs experiences, and flying laws be something to consider creating?

I think people are concentrating on whether you can take your Phantom INTO Dubai, but from the wording of your post it reads as if you're just connecting there (although made to go through an additional screening before moving on). If that's the case I don't see why they should hassle you if you follow IATA guidelines. In any case, carry a printed set to show the airport officials in case you're challenged.
If you're going into Dubai as a final destination however, I wouldn't bring it with me.
EDIT: did some searching and came across this, so there is a procedure if Dubai IS your final destination:
Apply for a drone permit in Dubai
Thanks Cheebs.
You are right. My wife and I are only sitting in the airport terminal whilst they refuel the plane from Australia en-route to Heathrow but they make you leave the plane with all your carry on luggage (including the drone and batteries) and move through the terminal and come through security screening again, only now not in Australia but Dubai and under their laws. There are lots of internet sites stating you can fly drones in Dubai. That may be the case but how can I risk taking the drone with me when I contacted Qantas and they said you can bring it onto the plane. Dubai Custom Care said you need to ask the airline, Dubai Police said you are not permitted to carry it and it will be confiscated. Dubai security screening on duty officer said it will be confiscated. My latest attempt is that I have emailed the Dubai Customs Dept. I have checked other airlines as suggested on this site and other airlines do not have a problem. They publish their policy and our drones and 68Wh batteries are fine but if the Dubai Police and Dubai Airport security screening on-duty officer say no and it will be confiscated what can one do????????
Thanks Guys.

If you end up not putting it the hold, or not shipping ahead of you, and you carry hand carry it, maybe see if you can at least try to put gimbal and camera into a small hard box in you hold luggage. I don't know how the P3 gimbal shipped, but the HD3D comes in box that I'd have no problem to put in hold luggage...

My son flew to australia last aug and went via Dubai, No problems at all with customs and his P3.

If you end up not putting it the hold, or not shipping ahead of you, and you carry hand carry it, maybe see if you can at least try to put gimbal and camera into a small hard box in you hold luggage. I don't know how the P3 gimbal shipped, but the HD3D comes in box that I'd have no problem to put in hold luggage...
I am not too good at pulling things apart. I rephrase that. Pulling things apart is easy...its putting them back to gether again. However they are still going to take the phantom and batteries which would leave me with a camera and gymbal which would not be of that much use.

My son flew to australia last aug and went via Dubai, No problems at all with customs and his P3.
Now that is good news. That is what I was hoping to see. A lot more of those comments and I might be able to risk it but your son may have got a compliant security officer. He may have been lucky. Bob Hyslop near the top of this page/forum reports that his brother must have got a non compliant officer as his was confiscated. So far it is one for one. Would you risk taking your $2000 AUD Phantom 3P plus 4 batteries valued at $1000 AUD through Dubai on those odds. MY last email was to the Dubai Government about 2 hours ago. Will advise if I get a reply. It just shouldn't be so hard. These drones are going to be everyday items soon and they really need to come up with an "around the globe" consistent policy. Will be watching site for more positive stories of people getting through....hopefully. We fly out in 3 weeks.

Now that is good news. That is what I was hoping to see. A lot more of those comments and I might be able to risk it but your son may have got a compliant security officer. He may have been lucky. Bob Hyslop near the top of this page/forum reports that his brother must have got a non compliant officer as his was confiscated. So far it is one for one. Would you risk taking your $2000 AUD Phantom 3P plus 4 batteries valued at $1000 AUD through Dubai on those odds. MY last email was to the Dubai Government about 2 hours ago. Will advise if I get a reply. It just shouldn't be so hard. These drones are going to be everyday items soon and they really need to come up with an "around the globe" consistent policy. Will be watching site for more positive stories of people getting through....hopefully. We fly out in 3 weeks.

Again, I believe that the Dubai authorities you have contacted still do not understand that you will NOT be attempting to enter Dubai with your batteries, rather just passing through the airport. I think that they're still confused on that point. You should be very clear on this point, and emphasize it multiple times in your communications.
Bob's brother was actually entering the country to board a RN ship docked there, so the circumstances are different.

If I recall my son flew Quantas airlines though that should not make any difference.

Again, I believe that the Dubai authorities you have contacted still do not understand that you will NOT be attempting to enter Dubai with your batteries, rather just passing through the airport. I think that they're still confused on that point. You should be very clear on this point, and emphasize it multiple times in your communications.
Bob's brother was actually entering the country to board a RN ship docked there, so the circumstances are different.
I have now phoned Dubai Police, I have emailed Dubai Police and I have spoken to them on chat three times. The last time was late last night and they still say no. This is rediculous so I cannot take the chance of losing my P3P so I am going to put it in my suitcase surrounded by bubble wrap and clothes and check it in without batteries. I am then going to risk 3 of my 4 batteries as carry on luggage and hope for the best. In the meantime I am going to keep researching. I read a post on the Inspire site where a member has gone through Dubai security many times without a problem but still a worry. Last night the police officer on chat said they were in charge of security screening and the answer is no to the batteries. One should not have to start ones holiday off with this stress. Thanks guys.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic