Security Screening at Dubai airport terminal

I am then going to risk 3 of my 4 batteries as carry on luggage and hope for the best. .

Make up a couple of stickers for your batteries "Camera Battery 1" "Camera Battery 2" etc ;)

I havent heard of anyone having trouble "transiting" Dubai with their Quadcopters etc before (the fact they just had the World Quadracing Champs there meant a ton of people went, and not all were competing, but I do know they are law unto themselves in that part of the world.

When I transited last, I was made to exit immigration and re-check in, for no other reason than they found out I have 3 passports for 3 different countries...

Make up a couple of stickers for your batteries "Camera Battery 1" "Camera Battery 2" etc ;)

I havent heard of anyone having trouble "transiting" Dubai with their Quadcopters etc before (the fact they just had the World Quadracing Champs there meant a ton of people went, and not all were competing, but I do know they are law unto themselves in that part of the world.

When I transited last, I was made to exit immigration and re-check in, for no other reason than they found out I have 3 passports for 3 different countries...
Thats a good idea. I will label them that way but if they do ask me then I will state they are for my flying camera, a quadcopter because I do not want to upset them by telling sort of porkies if they ask questions.

I have experience with that airport. No need to be concerned at all. Just carry the batteries in handbag, like required on every airline. The only issue one could have stoping over (meaning he visits the country) is if on his drone he has a special camera. I was there 2 times with a dji Phantom and 3 batteries, all in a cary case. I think putting a drone or any other electronic strange thing in a suitcase will get much more attention.

I have experience with that airport. No need to be concerned at all. Just carry the batteries in handbag, like required on every airline. The only issue one could have stoping over (meaning he visits the country) is if on his drone he has a special camera. I was there 2 times with a dji Phantom and 3 batteries, all in a cary case. I think putting a drone or any other electronic strange thing in a suitcase will get much more attention.

Your response is most encouraging. This is what I plan to do. Members, please give comment:- I plan to place the phantom in its hardshell case inside my normal case surrounded and packed with clothing for added padding. I Will check that in at Qantas baggage and declare that it is in the suitcase. They will see it on xrays but should see no batteries in suitcase. I will open suitcase for viewing at qantas check-in if required. I will then carry as carry on luggage 3 phantom 3 batteries with terminals taped in own lipo bags with batteries labelled camera battery. This will ensure the quadcopter remains on the Qantas Jet in cargo hold whilst refuelling and I (and wife) walk back through terminal and through security screening with 3 P3P batteries as described above. I will be unlucky if quad is damaged in its hard shell case packed in suitcase surrounded in clothing and it appears I should get through screening with the batteries in a carry on bag. If someone thinks this is a bad idea let me know. A quadcopter with no batteries is a harmless item in cargo hold. Thanks for your experiences.

You're overthinking this waaaay too much mate.
You've had two people with "actual" experience give you advice yet you still ask for the groups input, along with ignoring their advice??
You don't need to declare anything in your checked luggage if it is not hazardous, nor poses a threat. It is an electronic item essentially no different than a hair dryer in the eyes of security scanners.
Trust me, they know what batteries look like, and also hazardous items. It will be fine in your checked luggage.
People travel with Inspires as checked luggage all the time and all ends well generally.
As for the batteries. Don't make a big deal about them as you go through security. Chuck them in the tray along with your loose change, belt etc and if anyone asks, they are spare batteries for your camera.
You're not lying, they are. Never give more info than is required. If they dig deeper and ask what sort, an Ariel camera is sufficient, only elaborate if directly asked. I doubt you will be.
It's not an arrest-able offense so stop acting like your transporting cocaine. Ha ha.
If you copter is in the hold, worst case scenario is they confiscate your batteries. (Which they won't) put two in your wife's tray and one in yours.
After all I've read in this thread, I'd be taking my P4 as carryon. You lose it you claim insurance. No biggy.
You're working yourself into a frenzy. It's not very Australian of ya.
She'll be right mate.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

sub'd
o.png

You're overthinking this waaaay too much mate.
You've had two people with "actual" experience give you advice yet you still ask for the groups input, along with ignoring their advice??
You don't need to declare anything in your checked luggage if it is not hazardous, nor poses a threat. It is an electronic item essentially no different than a hair dryer in the eyes of security scanners.
Trust me, they know what batteries look like, and also hazardous items. It will be fine in your checked luggage.
People travel with Inspires as checked luggage all the time and all ends well generally.
As for the batteries. Don't make a big deal about them as you go through security. Chuck them in the tray along with your loose change, belt etc and if anyone asks, they are spare batteries for your camera.
You're not lying, they are. Never give more info than is required. If they dig deeper and ask what sort, an Ariel camera is sufficient, only elaborate if directly asked. I doubt you will be.
It's not an arrest-able offense so stop acting like your transporting cocaine. Ha ha.
If you copter is in the hold, worst case scenario is they confiscate your batteries. (Which they won't) put two in your wife's tray and one in yours.
After all I've read in this thread, I'd be taking my P4 as carryon. You lose it you claim insurance. No biggy.
You're working yourself into a frenzy. It's not very Australian of ya.
She'll be right mate.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Thats a Bonza reply. You're really fair dinkum. Thanks.

Reading this with interest.

I am travelling to Thailand with a stop over in Dubai later this year and decided not to risk taking the quad based upon what I had read online.

Will be interesting to see how you get on. What about the TX? I assume the internal battery will show up on X-ray?

Whilst I am disappointed to not be taking the quad on my trip, your comments that you should not have to deal with this stress before your holiday etc did make me chuckle - with all due respect you are travelling through their country, and so their rules apply.

I was in a similar situation. Had a biz trip to Dubai and wanted to bring my P3P, but decided to leave it at home given the vagaries of the laws and whether it would be allowed. Interesting that the police said they are not legal. HOwever at the airport gift shop in the temrinal they were selling the P3P AND the P4! (at about a 25% markup no less....go figure.

I was in a similar situation. Had a biz trip to Dubai and wanted to bring my P3P, but decided to leave it at home given the vagaries of the laws and whether it would be allowed. Interesting that the police said they are not legal. HOwever at the airport gift shop in the temrinal they were selling the P3P AND the P4! (at about a 25% markup no less....go figure.
I have written to everyone now in Dubai. Last response was from the Government and they said not allowd. Even so, after reading all there is on this site I am going to put my hardshell and P3P inside my suitcase and check it in and carry my batteries as carry on taped and in Lipo bags and hope for the best. There seems to be too many stories of people travelling through Dubai without problems so I cannot understand why the Government, The Police, and Airport Customer Care are all saying No. I do not think they are looking into it properly and just saying no. I can understand if I wanted to enter the country to fly it in there country but I am merely travelling through the terminal whilst my Qantas Jet refuels. Hopefully my batteries will not be confiscated. My drone will remain within the cargo hold.

Reading this with interest.

I am travelling to Thailand with a stop over in Dubai later this year and decided not to risk taking the quad based upon what I had read online.

Will be interesting to see how you get on. What about the TX? I assume the internal battery will show up on X-ray?

Whilst I am disappointed to not be taking the quad on my trip, your comments that you should not have to deal with this stress before your holiday etc did make me chuckle - with all due respect you are travelling through their country, and so their rules apply.
I do respect there rules and would not take it into Dubai. I am taking it to England. My only time in Dubai is when I walk from the plane and back through the terminal and through security again and enter the same plane after it has been refuelled. I do not know what the TX battery is but assume it is small in size. I have read many forums now and some on the Inspire site. Inspires are too large as carry on so they always go as checked in luggage and forum writers are stating no worries so I am going to be extra cautious by not carrying it on. The hardshell will be in my suitcase padded by clothing and I will carry on the Lipo batteries and hope they are not confiscated. Thanks to all who have contributed to this forum. It has been the conversations held that have lead to the course of action I intend to take so hope all works well for me and I have a great experience flying it throughout Britain.

Thanks for your response. I think all will be good. I will still put inside suitcase but declare that at check in with Qantas in Australia. That way it will remain in the cargo hold of plane whilst refuelling in Dubai and I will only be risking the batteries as I walk back through Dubai Security Screening with the Lipo's in carry on. Thanks

I have been in Dubai with my phantom 2 and 3 batteries. The first time at the security the woman in charged had me open the case and asked me if there was a camera attached, afterwards she called a colleague and he said it's ok (I had a go pro 3 on). The second time the guy who clearly saw the phantom on the screen asked me if it was a phantom 3 and I answered it was a 2., end of the story. Believe me, no need to be worried, maybe some of you did not know that in Dubai there was the first drone race competition

When you go through security when arriving in Dubai you put your bag on the scanner and walk right through, grab it when it comes out, walk away to baggage. I have never had to empty my pockets or take anything out of my bag. They have never even talked to me at the security scanner. Only talking was at customs asking where I was coming from and going to.

I have now phoned Dubai Police, I have emailed Dubai Police and I have spoken to them on chat three times. The last time was late last night and they still say no. This is rediculous so I cannot take the chance of losing my P3P so I am going to put it in my suitcase surrounded by bubble wrap and clothes and check it in without batteries. I am then going to risk 3 of my 4 batteries as carry on luggage and hope for the best. In the meantime I am going to keep researching. I read a post on the Inspire site where a member has gone through Dubai security many times without a problem but still a worry. Last night the police officer on chat said they were in charge of security screening and the answer is no to the batteries. One should not have to start ones holiday off with this stress. Thanks guys.

Hi have you had any luck? I'm also flying to Dubai for my connecting flight next week and very worried about getting my drone and camera confiscated.

Might be worth doing a proper check with relevant authorities in Dubai whether you can take a drone into the country.
My brother is in the royal navy and had to meet his ship in Dubai last september.
He took his drone with him in carry on bag and had it confiscated at customs and was told it was illegal to take drones into Dubai (even tho he was taking it on board ship and not flying in Dubai.
He eventually got it back in April but it was in considerably more pieces that when he left it.
So with checking.
I flew Emirates from JFK to Dubai and then Dubai to Manila in May, returning in June. At the Emirates ticket counter in JFK, they made me check my Phantom in checked baggage. When I arrived in Dubai, no one gave it a glance. Three days later, when I checked in at the Emirates counter, they allowed it to be carried on. Arriving in Manila, no problems. Checking in at Manila Emirates ticket counter, they said that drones were forbidden to be carried on board, but I could check it in. Since we had a connection in Dubai to JFK, the Phantom stayed under the control of the airline. At no airport screening location or scanner was an eyebrow even raised. In fact when I asked them if they wanted me to open the backpack, they said no.

Dubai hosted the International Drone Races A English teen won that. I was traveling that week and a German fellow met me in the ORD Chicago airport. He was traveling from Dubai (clearly not slept) and seen I was traveling with a Phantom so obviously felt compelled to sit next to me and chat. He had all his batteries on the plane w/ him.

At the Dubai World Drone Prix, where a UK teen won the $250K grand prize

Im checking instagram to locate that dude.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj