Second Thoughts!

Reaction score
I have been spending a lot of time reading posts in the forum. I have watched hour upon hour of videos on YouTube. Many helpful and a lot of drone fails.
I will get my Phantom 3 std. on Tuesday and I am freaking out! Flyaways. Crashes, battery problems, bad customer service.
I hope I just didn't enter into a hobby that will disappoint and cost lots of money.
Come on, there is a positive side right?

Robert

Crashes? Sure, people crash. But people crash car everyday... do you stop driving because of other people's incorrect actions? You also mention fly aways and battery problems? At the most, those are icolated situations. At least, they are almost non-existent with the P3's and newer.

Reactions: AJT
The good (fun) far out weighs the bad! I've lived through a crash and many others have as well..

You will too if you fly long enough. But, if you never fly, you will truly miss out.

Crashes , maintenance, and repairs goes with the territory. Same could be said about most anything I.g. car, house, boat. That's life my friend. Got to take the bad with the good.

However, don't be defeated before you even start!

Happy flying!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Summerpaws and AJT
As has been posted on this forum many times, most of the incidents involving fly always, it just crashed etc are generally the fault of the operator. I have been flying rc stuff for quite a few years and I come here for a solution and not an excuse. There are some very clever people on this forum who have been there and done that and are willing to help. You can do a lot for your self and research both here and on places like YouTube, read the manual and practice until your eyes bleed. Drones are a crap load of fun and you will pump money into it, it's only natural.......

Take it slow. Don't try to fly as high or as far as you can go. Learn about the return To Home function. Learn what to do if you lose signal. First flight is a bit scary, but after a few miles, you'll get the hang of it. Tree's think drones are delicious, so keep yours out of their mouths.

I was totally nervous about it as well, still cautious with just 6 flights and about 2&1/2 hours, but I am really starting to see the fun.

While you're waiting to order your P3 download the manual and read, then read it again. Once you get it charge the remote and battery(s). Next set the P3 on a flat LEVEL surface and calibrate the IMU then the gimbal. Use a level to make sure the surface you're using is level. I used a cutting board on the kitchen table and newspaper as shims to level the cutting board. Next take it outside away from all metal and calibrate the compass.

Once all that is done you should be ready to fly. The first time should be in an open area away from trees and other obstructions until you are comfortable with the controls.

I was heart broken when I crashed on my second flight, but I got the Phantom 2V repaired quickly, easily, and not especially expensively. Then I crashed again, was heart broken, but got it repaired again. Fortunately no damage on the third crash. All those crashes were within 3 weeks 3 years ago when I first started and all were pilot error - I zigged when I should have zagged. No crashes since, and I feel very confident and experienced to a point where I'll fly any time, anywhere, and among any obstacles. Patience, experience, attention to the manual, advice on this forum, and MSinger's site will get you past your inevitable crashes, too.
Here are a couple tips from me. I have tested and used RTH but I much prefer to control the Phantom myself, so I always keep it in sight and then bring home and land it without RTH. When I'm not sure which way it is pointed relative to where I wish to go, I tap the left or right stick, and if it goes the opposite way I want it to go, then I know its orientation and what then what I have to do to make it fly where I want. Another little tip: Increase the length of the sticks 1/8" to 1/4" by unscrewing the top of the stick, then screw up the lower half the screw to tighten it. I believe lengthened sticks provide more sensitive control.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctlfreak